Kitcat

PR applications submitted April 2018

Kitcat

We submitted our PR application on 4 April 2018 and we're now (not so) patiently awaiting a decision. Just wondering if anyone else here is an April application member - would be interesting to learn about your timeline and how your application has progressed thus far.

Our timeline: 

7 Feb 2018 - ITA

4 April 2018 - PR application submitted and AOR received

2 May 2018 - Medicals passed

Kitcat

Update on our application today with an odd query about our marriage certificate. Hoping to sort out soon.

• Like 1

ateotia
On 5/11/2018 at 8:23 AM, Kitcat said:

Update on our application today with an odd query about our marriage certificate. Hoping to sort out soon.

hello, we have a group of people but mostly jan and feb aor, our applications moved to Pretoria local visa office for further processing at the beginning of march, no responses so far from them, if you are lucky your application will process in ottawa itself and that office is relatively quicker

Kitcat
10 hours ago, ateotia said:

hello, we have a group of people but mostly jan and feb aor, our applications moved to Pretoria local visa office for further processing at the beginning of march, no responses so far from them, if you are lucky your application will process in ottawa itself and that office is relatively quicker

Thanks, I’ve been following the Jan/Feb group on the forum. Hope you guys hear something soon. It seems like processing has slowed down a bit this year compared to the last couple months of 2017.

Perry
On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎11 at 6:23 AM, Kitcat said:

Do you mind sharing the query?  We're married under the 2006 Act, not the 1961 Act so I'm hoping it doesn't confuse them.

Kitcat
19 minutes ago, Perry said:

Do you mind sharing the query?  We're married under the 2006 Act, not the 1961 Act so I'm hoping it doesn't confuse them.

Our marriage certificate says the date our marriage was solemnized and they requested a certificate that stated the date it was registered. Our immigration attorney sent them a letter of explanation that this is the standard wording on a marriage certificate in SA and we also then included a copy of the original hand written certificate. It could just be that the immigration officer is new/unfamiliar with South African documents as it was a rather odd query.

Perry
6 minutes ago, Kitcat said:

Our marriage certificate says the date our marriage was solemnized and they requested a certificate that stated the date it was registered. Our immigration attorney sent them a letter of explanation that this is the standard wording on a marriage certificate in SA and we also then included a copy of the original hand written certificate. It could just be that the immigration officer is new/unfamiliar with South African documents as it was a rather odd query.

Ah, thanks.  I'll keep an eye out for that.

• Like 1

Kitcat
On 5/21/2018 at 9:48 AM, Perry said:

Ah, thanks.  I'll keep an eye out for that.

No problem, good luck with your application. When are you planning on submitting?

Perry
4 minutes ago, Kitcat said:

No problem, good luck with your application. When are you planning on submitting?

I've only got a day left so, er, nowish. Not nerve wracking at all.

Willem sing
On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎09 at 11:28 AM, Kitcat said:

We submitted our PR application on 4 April 2018 and we're now (not so) patiently awaiting a decision. Just wondering if anyone else here is an April application member - would be interesting to learn about your timeline and how your application has progressed thus far.

Our timeline: 

7 Feb 2018 - ITA

For family of four (two adults and two children - Permanent Residency via Express Entry):

20 December 2017 - Invitation to apply

16 March 2018 - PR application submitted

4 May - Passport request email (alias Golden Email)

We couriered our passports etc to Visa Application Centre (VAC)  = VFS on 8 May

VFS submitted passports etc to Canadian Embassy on 10 May (Thursday).

On 18 May (Friday week later) we received a copy of the Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter (COPR) via our CIC online profile.

On 21 May (Monday) early morning passports and COPR letters were delivered to us in Cape Town.

This means whole process from initial entry to pool (12 December) to ITA to COPR letters in our hands took less than six months. This is a lot quicker than expected!

Our latest day for first entry is a year after the medicals, i.e. 8 Feb 2019.

Kitcat
52 minutes ago, Perry said:

I've only got a day left so, er, nowish. Not nerve wracking at all.

Eeek! Good luck!

Kitcat
20 minutes ago, Willem sing said:

For family of four (two adults and two children - Permanent Residency via Express Entry):

20 December 2017 - Invitation to apply

16 March 2018 - PR application submitted

4 May - Passport request email (alias Golden Email)

We couriered our passports etc to Visa Application Centre (VAC)  = VFS on 8 May

VFS submitted passports etc to Canadian Embassy on 10 May (Thursday).

On 18 May (Friday week later) we received a copy of the Confirmation of Permanent Residence letter (COPR) via our CIC online profile.

On 21 May (Monday) early morning passports and COPR letters were delivered to us in Cape Town.

This means whole process from initial entry to pool (12 December) to ITA to COPR letters in our hands took less than six months. This is a lot quicker than expected!

Our latest day for first entry is a year after the medicals, i.e. 8 Feb 2019.

That’s a quick turn around! We’re also a family of four and a pretty straightforward case, so hoping we have a similar time frame. When are you guys planning to head off to Canada?

Willem sing
2 minutes ago, Kitcat said:

That’s a quick turn around! We’re also a family of four and a pretty straightforward case, so hoping we have a similar time frame. When are you guys planning to head off to Canada?

Probably January 2019. Must still decide where in Canada. And you?

Kitcat

We’re hoping to head to Toronto by the end of this year. Would be great if we could go before the winter really kicks in again.

Perry
19 hours ago, Kitcat said:

Eeek! Good luck!

Got it in with a couple of hours to spare, my wallet is still trembling.  Now I'm going to try and forget about it until I hear something.

• Like 2

Kitcat
53 minutes ago, Perry said:

Got it in with a couple of hours to spare, my wallet is still trembling.  Now I'm going to try and forget about it until I hear something.

The forgetting part is so much easier said than done. Good luck! Let us know if/when you hear anything. :)

• Like 1

MGJ
On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎09 at 11:28 AM, Kitcat said:

Our timeline: 

7 Feb 2018 - ITA

Hi Kitcat

Quick few questions on your PR application...

a) At what stage do we process PR Application - before or after ITA - it seems from your message, that it is after?

b ) Did you use any company to process your PR application, or did you do it yourself, and if so, where does one go to get all the required documents to fill, including list of supporting documents required for application? I understand that the PR application process is vital to get right, some documents need to be commissioned by notary etc....just wondering whether we would need a professionals help with these technical nitty gritties, to avoid the application being rejected.

c) After ITA, it is only police clearance and medicals to be done, right? We have our marriage certificates, birth certificates, credential assessments, language test results already.

d) How long does it take to get police clearance, and how long is it valid for?

e) How long was it for you, from submission into express entry pool, to ITA received?

Thanks a mil and good luck with the waiting :-)

Willem sing

If I may add my input while you wait for Kitcat:

Look for my earlier posting higher up for our EE timeline. In our case it took just over 5 months from start to finish (Start = pool entry; finish = COPR letter). This is excluding the IELTS test we did on 28 October. If you add this it took us about 6,5 months.) So things can proceed very quickly. It took us about three months to complete the PR application in between other normal responsibilities. If we could focus only on this and complete the PR application in one month, I would imagine it is possible to complete the whole process and receive COPR within as little as three months or even less. But there is a lot of variance depending on when draws take place etc.

Your initial entry tool to the pool aiming for an ITA is a short questionnaire compared to the real PR application you must complete following your ITA. You cannot complete the PR application before ITA.

We did everything on our own without using any intermediary. Everything on CIC was pretty straight forward and you just provide what they ask for.

After ITA there are some additional things you must get, like proof around your current and past employment. Getting these documents like employment records and past appointment letters, letter from current employer etc took us the most time. Then you will need photos according to certain specifications to upload.  And you will need various documents from your banks and proof of funds etc. This is not an exhaustive list – only examples - but remember you have three months to get all of this, which is plenty of time.

The police clearance is valid for 12 months. We received ours within two weeks following the normal process working via the Rondebosch police station here in Cape Town to Pretoria and back. I see you are from Pretoria, so should be quick.

The date of medicals is important, as your COPR is valid for 12 months from date of your medicals. I would therefore not be to proactive and do it too early, as this might make your timelines very tight if they take long to process your application. In Cape Town there is a month waiting list for the medicals, so keep that in mind.

But yes, medicals and police clearance only required after ITA.

Kitcat
18 hours ago, MGJ said:

Hi Kitcat

Quick few questions on your PR application...

a) At what stage do we process PR Application - before or after ITA - it seems from your message, that it is after?

b ) Did you use any company to process your PR application, or did you do it yourself, and if so, where does one go to get all the required documents to fill, including list of supporting documents required for application? I understand that the PR application process is vital to get right, some documents need to be commissioned by notary etc....just wondering whether we would need a professionals help with these technical nitty gritties, to avoid the application being rejected.

c) After ITA, it is only police clearance and medicals to be done, right? We have our marriage certificates, birth certificates, credential assessments, language test results already.

d) How long does it take to get police clearance, and how long is it valid for?

e) How long was it for you, from submission into express entry pool, to ITA received?

Thanks a mil and good luck with the waiting :-)

Hi MGJ

Willem sing has pretty much answered everything and I concur with what he says, although I could be wrong, but I think police clearance is only valid for six months.

To answer your questions:

a) The application is only processed after ITA. So you;ll only officially apply for PR once you have received an invite to do so.

b ) We  have worked through an agent, but in hindsight we definitely could have managed the process on our own. Your best bet for all the info you seek is to go to the CIC website. - http://www.cic.gc.ca Everything is explained there and it's very comprehensive with step-by-step info on what to do. You;ll also be able to see what visas you qualify for and what all the requirements are.

c) After your ITA you will get a list of exactly what docs are needed - in addition to what you've mentioned, you'll also need reference letters from your company to prove your work experience against the NOC code that you're applying for as well as proof of funds.

d) Police clearance was pretty quick - around two weeks. It's valid for six months, so try do it as close to submitting your Pr application as possible.

e) Thus far the process has taken us eight months from deciding to emigrate to Canada to entering the pool to receiving ITA and applying. We were in the pool for two weeks before being drawn.

I think that about covers everything. Good luck with your application!

Willem sing

Hi Kitcat and MGJ

I am definitely not the expert on the police clearance certificates and it is therefore better to work with the six months.

My understanding is that police clearance certificates are valid for one year from the date they were issued, BUT must have been issued within six months from when you submit your application for permanent residence.

Kitcat
20 minutes ago, Willem sing said:

Hi Kitcat and MGJ

I am definitely not the expert on the police clearance certificates and it is therefore better to work with the six months.

My understanding is that police clearance certificates are valid for one year from the date they were issued, BUT must have been issued within six months from when you submit your application for permanent residence.

Thanks @Willem sing, that makes sense.

Kitcat

Hi @ateotia, has anyone from your group heard anything yet? Any progress on that side?

StuartW

Ill add to hear since we submitted very Early in May. Medicals passed probably 10 days later, and been sitting tight since? Anyone know how long it takes for the application to move to Pretoria? I believe once it moves, its fairly quick

LidiaS77
On 5/28/2018 at 1:35 AM, Willem sing said:

As far as I know police clearances from the country that you are currently living in is valid for 6 months only. However, you can easily renew your police clearance in SA once after 6 months without going through the whole process of submitting your fingerprints, forms etc. again, which is exactly what we had to do as we received our PR while our police clearances were about to expire (6 months after we got them). So, in practical terms it is valid for 12 months if you do the easy renewal after 6 months. After 12 months you have to go through the whole fingerprint process again. This is different for countries that you do not currently live in but in which you lived for more than 6 months in total after turning 18 (or in the last 10 years). These police clearances are valid indefinitely until you visit that country again.

• Like 1

Kitcat
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, StuartW said:

Ill add to hear since we submitted very Early in May. Medicals passed probably 10 days later, and been sitting tight since? Anyone know how long it takes for the application to move to Pretoria? I believe once it moves, its fairly quick

Hi @StuartW, the timings are so varied at the moment - I know of people on this forum who applied in Jan/Feb and had their application move to Pretoria around March and are still waiting. Then I hear of others who applied for PR in March and had their PPR by May. It's really all so unpredictable.

Good luck, and let us know when you hear anything!

Edited by Kitcat