Sign in to follow this  
Maurice6007

Where do my kids start when they arrive?

Maurice6007

Hi All

I have been offered a job in Vancouver and now the big work starts. The company that is recruiting me is doing a lot of work to get me there, but in terms of my kids my wife and I are on our own.

My 2 daughters are both 12 and my boy is 9. They are in public school in South Africa. I am not overly concerned with the language barrier, they will adapt rather quickly I'm sure. So the girls are grade 6 and the boy is grade 3. Where would they start when they arrive?

I will probably make the move slightly sooner than them while my wife is selling the house and doing the other admin. My new employer wants me in Canada ASAP so I believe I will be there before end of year - probably 6 months if they are to be believed. Would it make sense for the kids to finish the 2018 school year in RSA? When does the new school year start in Canada? Do they need to be assessed before they start?

So many questions... Thanks in advance

Lizelle

The school year starts in September in Canada.  I would have your kids in school when school starts, if you have any choice in the matter, but the kids can start school whenever they get here.  In general schools will slot your kids into their age range, and then add remedial help as needed.  

AnelleR2008

What Lizelle said:   The schools are really set up to help newcomers settle in, get the help they need, etc.