Sign in to follow this  
Meyer88

Common law proof.

Meyer88

Hi Members

Just a question, ill keep it short.

I am the main applicant and my fiancé will accompany me to Canada for PR status should we be lucky enough to obtain it, I have been together with my fiancé for quite a number of year and she is my dependant. I have read on CIC's website all the types of proof, Medical aid, Life insurances, Joint banking accounts etc. and seems like we have all that.

I would just like to know if there had been someone recently that went over or received and ITA and what documents did you submit and was there any issues and challenges when it came to getting a PR visa for yourself and your partner if you are not married but have been common law partners for a number of years

Regards

M

Ominous_Hashtag

Hi @Meyer88

I don't think our situations are identical but perhaps I can still contribute.

My situation is that I entered the EE pool, then met someone and started dating. A few months later I received ITA...shortly after that we moved in together. I submitted my ITA as a single applicant (since at that point in time my relationship would not be considered serious enough for common-law partnership).

A few months later I received CoPR and completed PR visa in passport...at this point in time we had been living together for just over 6 months (still not common-law) and at about that time we became engaged.

I waited for us to co-habit 12 months before notifying IRCC that I now had a common-law partner. I had not yet landed in Canada at this time and my PR visa still had a few months left before expiry.

IRCC responded by requesting a statutory declaration of common-law union (form IMM5409) to be completed with supporting documents (proof of co-habitation as well as other evidence as you noted in your original post) and signed before a commissioner of oaths.

After uploading this to my MyCIC profile they instructed both of us to complete and supply a ton of documents (such as travel history, police clearances, family details, relationship timeline and photos) and sent us for medical examinations (this was now my 2nd medical and was necessary due to the imminent expiry of my existing PR visa). We have since completed all of these requirements and submitted it on MyCIC...and paid the additional PR fees for the dependent.

Currently awaiting IRCC to approve the amended PR application.

PR0718

Hi @Meyer88,

I applied as the main applicant and my boyfriend as the common-law partner. At the time of our application we had been living together for around 3 years and we weren't engaged.

We received our COPR in July 2017 and landed in Montreal in Oct 2017

We submitted joint bank accounts, levy statements and life insurance policies as well as household insurance that was on both our names . As supplementary  proof, we included proof of travel together etc. 

We had no issues whatsoever with our application with regard to the common-law status. 

Hope this helps:) 

Meyer88

Hey peeps

Thanks for the feedback, really puts my mind at ease, hope you get feedback soon Omnious and PR0718 hope you guys are enjoying it there and well done for making it through the process. Hope to be able to join you in the near future.

Rgds

M