M Robertson

Ease/difficulty of finding employment???

M Robertson

Hello there

I am a third year student studying Industrial Engineering at Stellenbosch University (4 year degree, graduating in 2019). I already have Canadian citizenship and plan to move there after I graduate. By word of mouth, I am aware that there are numerous South African engineers working in Canada. A question I have is what the level of ease or difficulty would be for me (coming from South Africa with an engineering degree) to be hired. Any kind of information would be most welcome :).

Thanks 

Jules

A young foreigner (despite your Canadian citizenship) with a foreign degree and no work experience? Odds are that you will struggle to get an engineering job. You will probably need to do some extra studies after you return to Canada. And consider doing any job to get some income while you reorient your career. 

The good news is that you are young so you have time on your side. If one has to do this then doing it at the start of your career is ideal. Long term you won't regret it. 

TJG
Posted (edited)

I echo Jule's sentiments on this topic. If I were you, I would look into doing a post graduate diploma or perusing your masters here in Canada. Finding an engineering position here in Canada is difficult with no Canadian work experience. I was a Structural PrEng in S.A and I really struggled to find employment.  All the best with your journey. 

Edited by TJG

M Robertson

Thank you very much to both of you for your feedback. Currently, the only work experience I have is that of a 6 week internship, but I can agree with both of you that real work experience would be vital. Initially, I did not think of studying further in Canada, perhaps that is a wise option to consider. 

Also, would fluency in French put me at a slight advantage of finding employment?

MaryJane
12 hours ago, M Robertson said:

Also, would fluency in French put me at a slight advantage of finding employment?

It shouldn't really. Depends on the jobs you are targeting. I think there are many available jobs in the market that do not require French.

Some jobs do prefer bilingual applicants (French and English). If you are in Quebec (and maybe some parts of New Brunswick?), French may be more prevalent in the workplace. Government jobs also sometimes ask for this requirement. But I know quite a few people within the CRA and local government departments that are not bilingual at all so definitely not a disadvantage.