Sign in to follow this  
RoxiP

Average cost of Public Schools in Calgary Alberta

RoxiP

Hey guys, 

Ive heard and read such contradicting information recently with regards to schooling. What is the average cost of Elementary and Junior High in Calgary? 

My boys will be going to public school, and from what I have read its free but I have also been coming across sites that talk about Tuition for International Students and Application fees. 

Does anyone know how much that will cost because Im trying to work out a budget and I cant seem to find any further information. 

The Calgary board of education site also does not open so that's also been a pain to read up on. 

Jules

The only time you will face a cost for public schooling is if you are not permanent residents. If you are landing as PRs then it's free (funded by taxes).

• Like 1

AnelleR2008

The same applies for WP (well, it did 10 years ago when we arrived, but I'm fairly certain it is still the same).

Some school boards ask for $xx per year to cover classroom basics.  But it really is  a super small amount. 

AnelleR2008

International students are often exchange students who end up staying here for years (seriously, they end up doing their whole high school here in Canada) in order to get a foot in the door.   It is CRAZY expensive.   I was speaking to the exchange student coordinator at our local high school about this.

Jules

21 hours ago, AnelleR2008 said:

International students are often exchange students who end up staying here for years (seriously, they end up doing their whole high school here in Canada) in order to get a foot in the door.   It is CRAZY expensive.   I was speaking to the exchange student coordinator at our local high school about this.

Yes international students in high school or university pay very high fees. I suppose we say that public schools are funded by taxes but the correct answer is that it's funded by a mix of taxes and foreign student fees.

• Like 1