Sign in to follow this  
SARob

SA Commercial Pilot - Is there a way into Canada???

SARob

Good Day everyone,

I am a qualified Commercial Pilot currently living and working in Indonesia as a Cessna Grand Caravan C208 Training Captain and Safety Officer. I am originally from Cape Town, South Africa and have been working in Indonesia for the past three years now working my way up to the top here in my current airline gathering as much experience as possible (+3500hrs TT).

I am now ready to move on with my career and work for a company in Canada as I am aware there is an increasing shortage of qualified pilots in the country and my partner is from Canada. The problem is that I am unable to get a work permit or Permanent Residency in Canada as Pilots are unable to receive an Educational Credentials Assessment (ECA)  by a approved organisation and thus cannot earn enough points to get a PR via the Express Entry program or any other immigration program. The organisations simply refused to assess my qualifications. This is ridiculous in my view because just as much and, maybe even more, hard work goes into achieving a Commercial Pilots Licence as it does for a University Degree or higher but alas they will not assess my pilot qualifications and equate any of it to a degree or higher. I unfortunately do not have any other tertiary education apart from my flying qualifications. 

I have tried going through an immigration company but found them to be of little help, even though I paid a whole bunch of money for their services, supplied them with all my flying certificates, licences and other documents and particulars and completed the CELPIP General English Test in Canada, only to be told I do not qualify for the Express Entry program.

I am writing this now in an effort to finally establish a way and means to be able to work as a pilot in Canada. Could anybody possibly point me in the right direction? My partner is from Canada and we have just started living together which will let me apply for Permanent Residency after we have lived together for a year under the common-law route. However, with application processing times being anywhere from 6 months to a year, I am looking at only getting my PR in two years. Surely there is a faster way to obtain the right to live and work in Canada. Especially with such a large looming shortage of qualified pilots in Canada on the horizon which is starting to be experienced by Canadian airlines even now. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Jules

Not trying to make light of your situation but when you say you can "only" get PR in 2 years from now... for many of us, 2 years would have been fast. I think my process took about 3 years. I know the processing times has shortened for express entry, but historially,  immigration process has been painfully slow. 

I would just get married and start the sponsorship process. And continue building work experience. When you eventually land in Canada you can tackle the job market. 

You are actually in a solid position right now. 

corwes

Apply for jobs , I am sure you will find a company, that flies to rural areas, that will be willing to do a LMIA for you.

Wolverine

good point @corwes

MaryJane

I agree with @corwes. If there is a clear short supply of pilots, it might be more probable that one of the airlines would be willing to go through the work permit process with you.

Good luck with your process.

graciax452

Definitely apply for a job with one of the companies that fly workers to oil fields all the time, that would be your best bet for LMIA. They may already have LMIA's in place for certain jobs.

Cathy K

Do you have any experience with floatplanes? Those are the work horses over here. I know it will feel like a bit of a downgrade, but it is a way to get in. Have a look at Harbour Air Seaplanes, Seair Seaplanes, Sunshine Coast Air.

This may also help.

https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Search-Air-Carrier-By-Region-And-By-Aircraft-Type/108/Canada/Floatplane-Operators

CharleneK

SARob

Howzit everyone,

Thank you very much to every one of you who replied to my topic, I have taken all of your suggestions on board. Much appreciated.

As things stand now, I am still committed to getting entry into Canada via the Common Law partnership route. My girlfriend and I have just signed a year lease on a house here in Indonesia which includes both our names and we have also opened up a joint bank account here. We have also secured Employment Letters from our respective employers here which includes confirmation by them of our shared residential address here in Indonesia. Along with the photos of us in Indonesia, I am hoping that all this will provide enough evidence and supportive documentation for our Common Law Partnership and allow me to gain Permanent Residency. Does anyone have any further suggestions for us as to what else we can do and submit to prove our relationship or should all this be enough?

I have also found out that I can apply for an Open Work Permit at the same time as when I apply for PR which should be approved within 4 months of applying. This would allow me to start applying for jobs in Canada much sooner than when I hopefully get my PR, granted that I have already converted my Pilot Licence in Canada which I will do very soon.

Thanks again to everyone's help and any other tips and recommendations are most welcome!

Nettie

To get "faster" entry, you may need to look at the "unpopular" places to work. I have seen something about North West BC (way up north), where even Canadian pilots go to get their hours in. Google jobs in northern areas in BC and the other provinces, and you may find something.