Sign in to follow this  
Reibtseb

TAX COMPLIANCE STATUS SERVICE ACTIVATION

Reibtseb

Hi all,

Any idea how long TAX COMPLIANCE STATUS SERVICE ACTIVATION takes? I requested activation weeks ago via eFiling, and nothing has happened yet...

Thanks.

Nelline

Is this your first tax return? If so it has to be paper-based and won't allow you to activate before next year.

MaryJane

Is this for SARS?

If so, I always thought it was kinda immediate (instant). I'd contact them to find out.

Gary van der Westhuizen

@Reibtseb if you are referring to SARS, we recently requested a tax clearance certificate.  The initial request is normally done within 24 hours, as they always ask for supporting documents. Once you submit this, and assuming you get everything 100% right the first time, it should take a week or two. Be sure to lay everything out very clearly, as they will reject it for even the smallest discrepancy.  I attached the MP336(B) from the Reserve bank as well just in case. I can't remember if it is a requirement. 

If you are referring to CRA, @Nelline is correct, your first year you need to file a paper return. If you want, you can request a "Certificate of Residency" link here: 

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/information-been-moved/certificate-residency.html

good old CRA, you can post it or fax it, we faxed ours, about a week ago, but with it being tax season, I am not holding my breath. 

If this is for financial emigration from SA, PM me, and we can discuss further. 

MaryJane

Sorry. New immigrants no longer have to file their first tax return with CRA as paper return. This was  true quite a while back (circa 2013) but they’ve changed this since then. New immigrants can now file their first tax return online. You will need a SIN number for filing.

• Like 1

Reibtseb

Thanks all,

This is for SARS, financial emigration.

So, this morning I signed in again, out of boredom with SARS...

And clicked continue, okay, continue, yes....And ended up with a form to confirm my tax number...Hmm this wasn't there the first time I tried.

So I confirmed, and eventually it said all is compliant. :D

Now trying to submit a request for emigration. Hopefully that is the way to go.

Edit: So I will need to complete MP336(b), and apparently certify it...? hmm.

Edited by Reibtseb

Gary van der Westhuizen

on the MP336 (b) I almost think you need to have it done by a bank, as their dealer number needs to be on there. This is actually a joke, as SARS just takes the pdf copy you upload, but the banks insist on your sending them the original, which means you need to courier it. We had to do it twice, due to the timing of it, @ $87 a pop. 

IsabelE
On 3/20/2018 at 10:32 AM, Reibtseb said:

Thanks all,

This is for SARS, financial emigration.

So, this morning I signed in again, out of boredom with SARS...

And clicked continue, okay, continue, yes....And ended up with a form to confirm my tax number...Hmm this wasn't there the first time I tried.

So I confirmed, and eventually it said all is compliant. :D

Now trying to submit a request for emigration. Hopefully that is the way to go.

Edit: So I will need to complete MP336(b), and apparently certify it...? hmm.

Hi @Reibtseb , just wondering if you managed to complete the financial emigration? We are in the process, have the signed MP336 from the bank and used it to request our TCS from SARS. The need s few supporting documents, one of wich is a list of assest of the previous 3 years. Was that also something you have to provide? Anyone have any insight as to the format or details to include in something like this?

On 3/20/2018 at 5:44 PM, Gary van der Westhuizen said:

on the MP336 (b) I almost think you need to have it done by a bank, as their dealer number needs to be on there. This is actually a joke, as SARS just takes the pdf copy you upload, but the banks insist on your sending them the original, which means you need to courier it. We had to do it twice, due to the timing of it, @ $87 a pop. 

Hi @Gary van der Westhuizen, do you remember having to include this in supporting documents?

"Detailed statement of assets and liabilities for the previous three tax years (this should include disclosure of all investments, loan accounts and distributions from local and foreign companies, trusts, etc.)" 

We only have our RA's and none of the things mentioned above. I would really appreciate any guidance you could offer.

Gary van der Westhuizen

Hi @IsabelE

If memory serves we did do it. I am sure I wrote a post about it somewhere, but I can't find it now. We had a house cars and some retirement annuities. Luckily I guess, we had a mortgage and the cars were financed, so our net asset value was basically nothing. I do remember preparing an excel spreadsheet for our dear friends at SARS and it being rejected because I formatted the cells to round off the cents. So don't do that. I also used colours and arrows to link things because once again, they were not very bright. They basically just want to see what you own and what you owe.  

I have said it before, and I am going to say it again, if you can afford to leave it there for 5 years, do that. SARS are impossible to deal with from another country. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions and I can try and help. 

IsabelE

Thank you very much @Gary van der Westhuizen! I appreciate the feedback.

• Like 1

Reibtseb
On 3/5/2020 at 12:03 PM, IsabelE said:

Hi @Reibtseb , just wondering if you managed to complete the financial emigration? We are in the process, have the signed MP336 from the bank and used it to request our TCS from SARS. The need s few supporting documents, one of wich is a list of assest of the previous 3 years. Was that also something you have to provide? Anyone have any insight as to the format or details to include in something like this?

Hi @Gary van der Westhuizen, do you remember having to include this in supporting documents?

"Detailed statement of assets and liabilities for the previous three tax years (this should include disclosure of all investments, loan accounts and distributions from local and foreign companies, trusts, etc.)" 

We only have our RA's and none of the things mentioned above. I would really appreciate any guidance you could offer.

Quite late, but no I didn't proceed. I will leave it until 5 years has passed (2.5 to go).