M-N

Need advice/thoughts from those in Canada

M-N

OK, bare with me while I give some background. 

We applied for PR while in Canada. We got married while waiting for PR to be processed. I thought there'd be time to let them know about the changes but we received our CoPR weeks after we got married. I was still waiting for the marriage certificate before I could send it in. I emailed CIC as per the instructions but never heard back from them. A few months later we decided to go to the US for hubby's birthday and decided to do our landing on our way back. 

when asked if my our status changed I said yes and proceeded to explain story above. I even showed them the email where i contacted CIC and provided them with our Marriage certificate. After a long wait they came back and we received our PR confirmation. Problem is that it was in my maiden name and so my PR card was issued in my maiden name.  I admit I have put off replacing my card since then as I wasn't planning on traveling soon BUT here's my question: 

My passport is still in my maiden name, my PR is maiden name but my daughter has my husbands name and birth certificate has my married name on it. Will I be allowed to enter on my PR and will i have issues traveling with her? 

Thanks in advance. 

MaryJane

My scenario is slightly different but thought maybe the small similarities may help. My PR card and my passport carry 2 different names. I’ve used the passport and PR card several times to cross the US border with no issues. However, the name I legally use is stated as an alias on my passport.

My last name on the passport is also different from my kids. So when we all cross the border, there are 3 under one surname (hubby and 2 kids) and then there’s me. Again no issues.

Just as a side note though, I’ve never travelled into the US without my husband and kids (not yet anyway). I also always bring the marriage certificate and the birth certificates, just in case. I never needed them yet though. And my kids are quite old (22, 14), if that matters.

So having said all that, I think it’s possible to travel and get back in your maiden name but it’s probably still best to get your travel documents in your married name if you can.

PPS I’m dual so I have 2 passports. I try not to use the passport that has a different name as much as possible (for the same question you have above, to avoid complications and questions at the airport when I’m travelling with my family), but that’s the one with the US visa so I use it to go into the US.

Nelline

You are legally allowed to use both your maiden name and your married surname. You don't "lose" the name you were born with just because you get married. It is just "easier" to use one name but nothing prevents you from using either or both. Just travel with a copy of your birth and marriage certificate "just in case they're needed"

If travelling alone with our children always have a letter from your husband stating he is aware of the travel and agrees to the children travelling without him, and have a copy of his passport and copies of their birth certificates as well.

M-N

Thanks @Nelline @MaryJane I thought as much.  Was planning on carrying the necessary documents with me. Will update my PR asap anyway.  But int eh event that I want to travel before that it's good to know.  

Conrada

Only other thing is that if you fly just make sure that the name on your passport matches the name on your ticket. Otherwise they will not allow you to fly or you need to pay a lot to get it corrected.

Lindianne

Hi, I travelled via the UK and visited there so I had to book my tickets in my maiden name which shows in my Italian passport. This was as I have right of abode with Eu passport.  I carried all birth, marriage certificates. My pr visa is in my married name as well as my sa passport.  The only problem I had was with ba at Heathrow.  They didn't like that I was travelling on my maiden name but my right of abode in Canada was in my married name.  Eventually after about an hour they let me check in but said I had to explain to Canada.  Canadian immigration asked no questions.  Wasn't an issue at all.  Good luck with the trip. 

• Like 1

M-N
13 hours ago, Conrada said:

Only other thing is that if you fly just make sure that the name on your passport matches the name on your ticket. Otherwise they will not allow you to fly or you need to pay a lot to get it corrected.

If I remember correctly this isn't necessarily the case.  I flew to Seattle after we got married and my passport and ticket was different. I just showed them my Canadian Driver's Licence that had my married name with my passport.  I suppose it depends on the agent at the time.  Also kept my marriage certificate with me. 

Cathy K
Posted (edited)

Can one of the moderators please fix the heading of this topic?

ADVISE: offer suggestions about the best course of action to someone.
"I advised him to go home"

ADVICE: guidance or recommendations concerning prudent future action, typically given by someone regarded as knowledgeable or authoritative.

I know  I am a bit fixated on the difference between advice and advise, but please accommodate me. Highlighting that difference may just be the difference between passing and failing your IELTS test.
Edited by Cathy K
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cathy K

Thank you!

Stefan
On ‎2018‎/‎03‎/‎05 at 10:19 AM, Nelline said:

If travelling alone with our children always have a letter from your husband stating he is aware of the travel and agrees to the children travelling without him, and have a copy of his passport and copies of their birth certificates as well.

I've seen that as a requirement for all US-Canada border crossings.  It's to prevent someone running off with kids without the other parent's consent, which is an "amber alert" scenario.

My wife never took my surname, but our kids have.  It is quite common among the parents I know, so I think that doesn't faze the border guards.

M-N
6 hours ago, Stefan said:

I've seen that as a requirement for all US-Canada border crossings.  It's to prevent someone running off with kids without the other parent's consent, which is an "amber alert" scenario.

My wife never took my surname, but our kids have.  It is quite common among the parents I know, so I think that doesn't faze the border guards.

Quite correct. I think in Quebec it's very common (if not required) to not take your husband's name so I definitely think they're used to it.  Guess it's just for security reasons as you stated.  

M-N
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Cathy K said:

Can one of the moderators please fix the heading of this topic?

ADVISE: offer suggestions about the best course of action to someone.
"I advised him to go home"

ADVICE: guidance or recommendations concerning prudent future action, typically given by someone regarded as knowledgeable or authoritative.

I know  I am a bit fixated on the difference between advice and advise, but please accommodate me. Highlighting that difference may just be the difference between passing and failing your IELTS test.

I'm quite familiar withe difference but thanks for picking up my silly mistake.  I hang my head in shame. 

Just to further iterate for those still doing IELTS, the easiest way to distinct is verb vs noun.  

If it sounds like a Z then you're using it as a verb: "I advise you not to take that route today. " 

If it's sounds like an S then it's a noun : "She gave her daughter advice on what to say to her teacher." 

You can advise someone to give advice.  Isn't English fun?  😂

Edited by M-N
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Piper
2 hours ago, M-N said:

Quite correct. I think in Quebec it's very common (if not required) to not take your husband's name so I definitely think they're used to it.  Guess it's just for security reasons as you stated.  

Correct. In Québec it is optional to take your husband’s surname, yet most women don’t bother.

I’m married and took my husband’s surname while we were still in SA. In Québec people think we are brother and sister due to this .... 🤭

• Haha 2