Sign in to follow this  
Luke_L

Pregnancy and PR

Luke_L

Hi All, first post on the forum and a bit of an unusual question.

We just got informed that our PR application has almost been finalised and we just need to bring our passports within 30 days (myself, my wife and our son). Thing is my wife is pregnant and is due any day now, so we still need to get the new baby a passport and then get her on the application. We did declare on the application that she was pregnant.

Should the three of us go and get our passports in in the meantime? I've emailed an enquiry but they seem to take a while to get back. We weren't expecting such quick turnaround (2 months) from submission, and were going to add baby #2 once she was born.

Anyone else had any experience of having a child in the middle of the PR process?

Thanks!

Cornel

Hi

I was pregnant before we submitted our application luckily by the time that our application was submitted my children were born and we were able to add them quite easily on the application 

At the time our agent did however confirm that we can add them at a later stage so it has to be possible

We are still waiting approval of our application

We were able to get their passports from the bank and it was within 10 days that we got their passports back

I know this doesn't help much and I hope someone will be able to assist

Luis Dos Santos
1 hour ago, Luke_L said:

Hi All, first post on the forum and a bit of an unusual question.

We just got informed that our PR application has almost been finalised and we just need to bring our passports within 30 days (myself, my wife and our son). Thing is my wife is pregnant and is due any day now, so we still need to get the new baby a passport and then get her on the application. We did declare on the application that she was pregnant.

Should the three of us go and get our passports in in the meantime? I've emailed an enquiry but they seem to take a while to get back. We weren't expecting such quick turnaround (2 months) from submission, and were going to add baby #2 once she was born.

Anyone else had any experience of having a child in the middle of the PR process?

Thanks!

Hi Luke,

We're in the same boat as you guys, however my wife chose not to do the x-rays and instead we were given a deference letter for her medicals. We had to provide a due date for the baby's birth and essentially our application is on hold until the due date comes around. Once the baby is born we will be requested by CIC to add the baby to the application, provide baby's passports and submit my wife and baby's medicals. In your case this may be slightly different as you're already at the passport stage and I'm assuming have passed all medicals...please see the link below on the views of some other members who have gone through similar situations.

http://www.sacanada.org/topic/21603-pregnant-before-ee-application/?tab=comments#comment-173713

Edited by Luis Dos Santos

Rikj

Hi Luke

Similar to Luis, I was also pregnant when we applied and chose to defer my xray until the baby was born. We had to wait for the baby to have a medical anyway so it didn't make a difference in time that I deferred my xray.

So essentially our application was also on hold until after we had the baby so that my medical and the baby's medical could be completed. 

We also applied for my son's passport through a bank and the turnaround time was also around 10 days. If you can go through a bank I would recommend that rather than going to home affairs. 

If you all need passports I would probably apply all at the same time? Because you would need to wait for new baby's passport anyway.

Luke_L
18 hours ago, Cornel said:

At the time our agent did however confirm that we can add them at a later stage so it has to be possible

Thanks guys for the help. Seems from the post Luis shared it's best to wait until she is born and then add her to the application before we send our passports. Wouldn't want to have to do a separate application!

Cornel, did you go through a visa agent or did you just use the online application? We have just done everything ourselves so have never spoken to any agents.

Cornel

Seems like that might be best

We went through an agent, and did not do anything ourselves, but everyone involved were extremely helpful. Kids were in ICU and the doctor from Hatmed did the medical at Unitas ICU, he actually went there to do their medicals as we would have been out of time to submit our application had he not done so and hence the agent said they will be able to upload it later and explain the issue in the cover letter but luckily we were able to get everything together before we had to submit

Luke_L

OK, the Pretoria embassy got back to me - we have to wait, get the birth certificate and passport, complete a couple of forms and make an additional payment, and then submit everything together.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Luke_L
On 22/02/2018 at 4:32 PM, Rikj said:

Hi Luke

Similar to Luis, I was also pregnant when we applied and chose to defer my xray until the baby was born. We had to wait for the baby to have a medical anyway so it didn't make a difference in time that I deferred my xray.

So essentially our application was also on hold until after we had the baby so that my medical and the baby's medical could be completed. 

We also applied for my son's passport through a bank and the turnaround time was also around 10 days. If you can go through a bank I would recommend that rather than going to home affairs. 

If you all need passports I would probably apply all at the same time? Because you would need to wait for new baby's passport anyway.

Hi Rijk,

What did you need to get the baby a passport at the bank? Birth Certificate and a photo? 

I assume no fingerprints or anything else that required that would need you to take the baby in to home affairs?

Thanks!

Cornel

Hi Luke

They take the photos at the bank

Only take your id and your wife's id with as well as the baby's birth certificate

Luke_L

Thanks Cornel - 1 week until birth!

Cheers

Cornel

Good luck!! 

We took our babies a few days after they were discharged and really had no hassles, it was a breeze, especially compared to home affairs.

Luis Dos Santos
1 minute ago, Cornel said:

Good luck!! 

We took our babies a few days after they were discharged and really had no hassles, it was a breeze, especially compared to home affairs.

Hi Cornel,

Is this with any bank or specific banks and specific branches?

Cornel

As Investec does not have this service I used Standard bank as I also have a savings account with them and live in Centurion, Pretoria so that is where I made our appointments.

But I understand from others that Absa is also a pleasure to work with.

They have a separate little office for the Home Affairs and there isn't any quees. They were quick and efficient (still 4 people involved, doing the same thing, but hey, that is how it works) ;)

Amy G

@Luis Dos Santos It's only at specific branches... we bank with FNB so we chose the Merchant Place branch (in Sandton).  

You register here https://ehome.dha.gov.za/echannel and can then choose the branch of your bank that you would like to set up an appointment with (from the drop down list).

Edited by Amy G
  • Like 1

Luke_L

Thanks guys! I see Killarney branch of Std Bank does it, so will sort it out there.

Luis Dos Santos
1 hour ago, Amy G said:

@Luis Dos Santos It's only at specific branches... we bank with FNB so we chose the Merchant Place branch (in Sandton).  

You register here https://ehome.dha.gov.za/echannel and can then choose the branch of your bank that you would like to set up an appointment with (from the drop down list).

Thank you!