RuanVZ

Data science opportunities in Toronto, ON

RuanVZ

Hello Everyone,

Myself and fiance are looking for data science job opportunities in Toronto, ON. We are both PR's and will be moving end of June 2018.

Are there any ex South Africans out there working in this sector?

We both have Master's degrees in statistics, applied mathematics and information technology. Do you think we have a good chance of finding jobs relatively easily given our credentials?

Wolverine
5 hours ago, RuanVZ said:

Hello Everyone,

Myself and fiance are looking for data science job opportunities in Toronto, ON. We are both PR's and will be moving end of June 2018.

Are there any ex South Africans out there working in this sector?

We both have Master's degrees in statistics, applied mathematics and information technology. Do you think we have a good chance of finding jobs relatively easily given our credentials?

Good qualifications indeed.

Have you been checking for jobs online?

MaryJane

What a coincidence!

Somebody just sent me this today.

http://www.iiroc.ca/Pages/CareersView.aspx

There’s one for a Data Scientist.

RuanVZ
On 2/22/2018 at 7:37 PM, MaryJane said:

What a coincidence!

Somebody just sent me this today.

http://www.iiroc.ca/Pages/CareersView.aspx

There’s one for a Data Scientist.

Thanks guys.

I have been applying online (on company websites) for the last two weeks and haven't had any follow-ups. 

There seems to be plenty advertised positions in Toronto for data scientist roles - will keep trying.

It would be great to connect with someone currently employed in a similar role.

Edited by RuanVZ

RuanVZ

Hello Everyone,

Further to the previous post, we have arrived in Toronto about 3 weeks ago. The experience has been great, we love the city and its people.

Regarding finding jobs, we haven't had any success at all. We have sent out applications using the most common job searching platforms, including Monster, Indeed , Glassdoor and LinkedIn.

We have learned that it is very important to network in order to gain access to employment opportunities.

Does anyone know someone (Need not be an ex-Saffa) working at a company which employs data scientists and/or data analysts that we can chat with?

We can be contacted via LinkedIn, refer to the below for links to our respective profiles:

Ruan van Zyl

Anneke Deetlefs

Thanks!

Jules

Feel free to pm your resume to me.

I look after governance and reporting at one of the banks and I'm hiring a manager to help with audit reporting. Zero promises but willing to look at your resume. 

shaun

Ruan, contact me here please. I know of two positions available in the area just west of Toronto.

Will set you up directly with the headhunter.

• Thanks 1

RuanVZ

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread.

I managed to get a well paying data science job, very lucky to get something very close to what I was looking for at a fair level of remuneration  

My wife is still looking, but following up on a few solid leads.