Lelanè

Shipping Company

Lelanè

Hi guys

We are relocating from Cape Town to Toronto by end of March this year and I was just wondering which shipping comany to use. We will preferably want the contents sooner rather than later and avoid storage of the container, if possible.

Any suggestions or recommendations from personal experience?

Thanks!

collgav
15 minutes ago, Lelanè said:

Hi guys

We are relocating from Cape Town to Toronto by end of March this year and I was just wondering which shipping comany to use. We will preferably want the contents sooner rather than later and avoid storage of the container, if possible.

Any suggestions or recommendations from personal experience?

Thanks!

Hi Lelane, we are also shipping a container at the end of March. We will be using Stuttafords. They gave us the best quote and I've only heard good things about them. So far they have been very helpful. We are shipping from Durban to Winkler, Manitoba.

All the best!!!:)

• Like 1

Lelanè

Thank you so much! I will definitely contact them and you are right - they do have a good reputation. All the best with your lifechanging endeavours - may it be blessed!

• Like 1

collgav
1 minute ago, Lelanè said:

Thank you so much! I will definitely contact them and you are right - they do have a good reputation. All the best with your lifechanging endeavours - may it be blessed!

Thank you Lelane, and the same to you. We are trusting and praying for this to be very life changing!! Looking forward to the second half of our lives :-)

Piper

We recently used Biddulphs from Pretoria to Montréal with no problems.

Good luck!

Lelanè

Awesome, thanks, Piper!

Toobs

Good afrernoon all. 

Not close to shipping yet, but doing homework. Is it expensive to go the container route ? Trying to figure if it is beter this way or to start from scratch with cash in the pocket regarding warrantiez on equipment etc etc ?  Have not thouht about the 2 scenarios yet. 

What size container are you going to use ?

Nelline
9 hours ago, Toobs said:

Good afrernoon all. 

Not close to shipping yet, but doing homework. Is it expensive to go the container route ? Trying to figure if it is beter this way or to start from scratch with cash in the pocket regarding warrantiez on equipment etc etc ?  Have not thouht about the 2 scenarios yet. 

What size container are you going to use ?

My 2 cents worth - if you can get a "small" pallet shipped with some essentials (things of sentimental value, paintings, a few favourite kids' toys, Ouma se stoel etc) then do it. Otherwise sell and buy new here.

• Like 2

Cornel

Hi guys

I have gotten quite a few quotes for containers and will gladly share it - it is for a 40ft and 20ft container

We would prefer to take our things along because for us, the replacement value in Canada justifies the costs of transport (this may not be the case for everyone)

Elliott was by far the most expensive at R233k for a 40ft

Lyle

I have only received one quote to date from British International Removals - groupage, 300Cft at R55 611.00.

Does anyone know 300Cft translates to the above (20ft and 40ft containers)?

Edited by Lyle

EtienneL
On 19/02/2018 at 11:08 AM, Lyle said:

300Cft would be 300 cubic feet.  Or, in measurements that don't involve body parts, that is about 8.5 cubim meter.  To give you a feeling of how much that is, a cube of 2 x 2 x 2 meter is 8 cubic meter.  Containers are a bit higher and wider than 2 meters, so it's about a 2 meter in length section of a container, or six and a half foot.  That would make it a third of a 20ft container.

EtienneL
On 19/02/2018 at 11:08 AM, Lyle said:

I have only received one quote to date from British International Removals - groupage, 300Cft at R55 611.00.

If I may ask - what does this include?  The move from your house here to your house there, or does that still need to be added?

EtienneL
On 19/02/2018 at 11:04 AM, Cornel said:

I have gotten quite a few quotes for containers and will gladly share it - it is for a 40ft and 20ft container

I would be interested in having a look at your quotes to see what's in store for me pretty please!

Lyle
On 2/22/2018 at 7:57 AM, EtienneL said:

If I may ask - what does this include?  The move from your house here to your house there, or does that still need to be added?

The move from our home in SA to our new home in Mill Bay, Vancouver Island.

Door to door.

• Like 1

Kayla
On 2/19/2018 at 11:08 AM, Lyle said:

Hey Lyle,

Were you given an idea of how long if would take a groupage container to arrive in Canada? When I asked the shipping company they said it could be from 6 months to a year. Apparently not enough people moving to Canada. 

Lyle
On 3/2/2018 at 10:13 PM, Kayla said:

Hey Lyle,

Were you given an idea of how long if would take a groupage container to arrive in Canada? When I asked the shipping company they said it could be from 6 months to a year. Apparently not enough people moving to Canada. 

Hi Kayla,

I wasn't - to be honest I assumed it would take 3 months. Good point though, definitely a question worth asking!

Flyfish

Hi All

We have just had our stuff packed up by Elliott's Mobility in Pretoria and at the time they were the best priced as well. I still haven't asked the question of how long, however nothing in there is urgent.

Helen Byloo

He everyone. We have 17m3 of household stuff we want to move from Durban to Toronto in the next year. Is there anyone interested in doing a part shared container with us . We have only found companies who want to charge us to move a full container which seems like such a waste. 

MJames

Hi All,

Thank you for this info. Following to see options and any more info that will be added by other members.