Sign in to follow this  
Liz88

The reality of a low CRS score

Liz88

If I play with a CRS calculator one more time I’ll officially lose the plot. 

After much deliberation I’ve realized that in order to increase our CRS score to over 400 I need to sign up for additional study courses. The Boss (Hubby) is costing us on points because of his age irrespective of qualification and work experience. Where changing things and having me as the the principal applicant on EE profile is better. Do you think it wise to create one profile for him in the meantime even with the low score and as I manage to complete studies then create my profile?

Can any of you think of other ways to increase the CRS score other than additional study and re-write of IELTS if the score isn’t adequate. 

Would you sign up to learn French? Would you try study two different qualifications at the same time? Would you try stalk people in Manitoba to make friends for EOI? 😂 

Even with additional study it looks as if our score will be in the early 400’s 

In terms of EOI for PNP’s finding that all illusive job to increase the score is a long shot so I’m trying to find ways to increase it as much as possible and doing all the networking etc in the background. 

I read somewhere yesterday of someone who had a CRS score of 350 and received a PNP from Nova Scotia 🌈 

All I know is that succeeding at this point is all I need to stay focused on, whatever it takes. 

FCD78CB7-B37B-4668-95FD-13833FD2F7F4.jpeg

• Like 1

Luis Dos Santos

What is your current score?

FaithFUL

Age does play a big role in the CRS score & for this same reason I was the principle applicant & not hubby. You can always create a profile for both of you. If you want to study further then do so, that can always be added to your profile for extra points at a later stage. Get into the pool ASAP, you never know what could happen.

• Like 1

poorguy

@Liz88 If you state that your spouse is not accompanying then check how much of a score you get? It's not the ideal way, but lots of people do it like this and from what I read, once you obtain PR there are ways to get your hubby in as well - do some research as I am not 100% sure of how it works but I do know lots of people do it this way.

Liz88
3 hours ago, Luis Dos Santos said:

What is your current score?

Liz88
26 minutes ago, poorguy said:

@Liz88 If you state that your spouse is not accompanying then check how much of a score you get? It's not the ideal way, but lots of people do it like this and from what I read, once you obtain PR there are ways to get your hubby in as well - do some research as I am not 100% sure of how it works but I do know lots of people do it this way.

Little bit better - 395 - thank you for This though 

Liz88
1 hour ago, FaithFUL said:

Age does play a big role in the CRS score & for this same reason I was the principle applicant & not hubby. You can always create a profile for both of you. If you want to study further then do so, that can always be added to your profile for extra points at a later stage. Get into the pool ASAP, you never know what could happen.

I agree with you - waiting for Wes and his Ielts and will then create a profile with him as main applicant and in the background will study and then create my profile when possible - it’s a long process either way so may as well use the time wisely 

thank you for your response ❤️

Luis Dos Santos
31 minutes ago, Liz88 said:

I'll quote @Lizelle's quote on another thread that I feel is some great honest advice given your current score.

"Anything under 400 means that you have to look at Plan B, C, D and E.

Can you get provincial nomination?  How much work is there in your area?  

I very much disagree with the "Where there is a will, there is a way" sentiment. 

Or, I suppose, more accurately, when that sentiment keeps you focused on Canada to the exclusion of all else.  I have seen many people on here that has no hope of getting into Canada, barring a very distant miracle, yet they keep hoping for provincial nomination, or a job offer.  Sure, those things can happen, but do you hang your whole future on simply passively hoping that something will happen?  It can be years from now.  Look at all your options, and make an educated and calculated decision on how long your are willing to wait.  Canada may be your first choice, but would you rather stay in South Africa for the next 5 years, and then MAYBE get into Canada, or would you move to a different country now, and then in 5 years decide if you still want to move to Canada?  At least in the meantime you have earned money that is not diminishing as you look at it, and you have work experience in a country that people recognize. 

Immigration does not care about you.  It does not care if you are a nice person or a hard worker.  It is a pure numbers game for them.  There are millions behind you that also want to get in.  There is no incentive for a company to give you a job offer unless you are exceptionally skilled.  

I would look at NZ or Oz if I were you.  NZ is a LOT easier to get into than Canada.  You generally - depending on where and when you got your degree - do not have to do a WES (or the equivalent in NZ).  Things happen fast.

You can get a job offer in NZ and the work visa will be done a week later (keeping in with that timeline of getting out this year).  You can apply for a job and be there next month.  Their economy is booming at the moment, so, depending on your job, it should be fairly easy to get a job offer.  

Oz can be easier or harder than NZ, depending on your points.  We never qualified for OZ until we got our NZ citizenship, and I have not really kept up to date with their requirements, but it will be easier than Canada, I can almost guarantee it. "

• Like 1

Marcola

You could go the PNP route, but it means stalking the Nova Scotia/Saskatchewan PNP sites on a daily basis. Check if you are on their skills in demand lists.

My advise: set up a group on whatsapp of people who are also aiming for a PNP. Keep each other updated and motivated. I was lucky enough to be selected by Ontario, but was also part of the whatsapp group. Two people on the group were successful in obtaining a Nova Scotia nomination; both with scores under 400 - one who had been waiting for a long time and the other who was only in the pool for a month or so. It is definitely posibble.

• Like 2

Liz88
4 hours ago, Luis Dos Santos said:

I'll quote @Lizelle's quote on another thread that I feel is some great honest advice given your current score.

"Anything under 400 means that you have to look at Plan B, C, D and E.

Can you get provincial nomination?  How much work is there in your area?  

I very much disagree with the "Where there is a will, there is a way" sentiment. 

Or, I suppose, more accurately, when that sentiment keeps you focused on Canada to the exclusion of all else.  I have seen many people on here that has no hope of getting into Canada, barring a very distant miracle, yet they keep hoping for provincial nomination, or a job offer.  Sure, those things can happen, but do you hang your whole future on simply passively hoping that something will happen?  It can be years from now.  Look at all your options, and make an educated and calculated decision on how long your are willing to wait.  Canada may be your first choice, but would you rather stay in South Africa for the next 5 years, and then MAYBE get into Canada, or would you move to a different country now, and then in 5 years decide if you still want to move to Canada?  At least in the meantime you have earned money that is not diminishing as you look at it, and you have work experience in a country that people recognize. 

Immigration does not care about you.  It does not care if you are a nice person or a hard worker.  It is a pure numbers game for them.  There are millions behind you that also want to get in.  There is no incentive for a company to give you a job offer unless you are exceptionally skilled.  

I would look at NZ or Oz if I were you.  NZ is a LOT easier to get into than Canada.  You generally - depending on where and when you got your degree - do not have to do a WES (or the equivalent in NZ).  Things happen fast.

You can get a job offer in NZ and the work visa will be done a week later (keeping in with that timeline of getting out this year).  You can apply for a job and be there next month.  Their economy is booming at the moment, so, depending on your job, it should be fairly easy to get a job offer.  

Oz can be easier or harder than NZ, depending on your points.  We never qualified for OZ until we got our NZ citizenship, and I have not really kept up to date with their requirements, but it will be easier than Canada, I can almost guarantee it. "

There is some truth in this which I won’t deny, but just giving up because the score is under 400 and trying other countries seems like a cop out. I’d first like to at least go into the pool and in the event that it doesn’t work out continue to then investigate other options. 

I haven’t personally been to NZ but I have been to Canada thus the reason for the choice. I guess opinion will always differ 

Some people do get PNP under 400 and yes some have rare skills but I won’t give up until I’ve at least given it my best shot 

• Like 1

Liz88
3 hours ago, Marcola said:

You could go the PNP route, but it means stalking the Nova Scotia/Saskatchewan PNP sites on a daily basis. Check if you are on their skills in demand lists.

My advise: set up a group on whatsapp of people who are also aiming for a PNP. Keep each other updated and motivated. I was lucky enough to be selected by Ontario, but was also part of the whatsapp group. Two people on the group were successful in obtaining a Nova Scotia nomination; both with scores under 400 - one who had been waiting for a long time and the other who was only in the pool for a month or so. It is definitely posibble.

Thank you. I’ll keep the hope alive and wait for the Wes and Ielts documents and then take it from there. Will investigate the WhatsApp group further 🌈

Luis Dos Santos
8 minutes ago, Liz88 said:

There is some truth in this which I won’t deny, but just giving up because the score is under 400 and trying other countries seems like a cop out. I’d first like to at least go into the pool and in the event that it doesn’t work out continue to then investigate other options. 

I haven’t personally been to NZ but I have been to Canada thus the reason for the choice. I guess opinion will always differ 

Some people do get PNP under 400 and yes some have rare skills but I won’t give up until I’ve at least given it my best shot 

Agreed....give it your all regarding Canada...but at the same time perhaps explore all your options. Personally it was a toss up between Canada and NZ for me and the defining factor was purely an emotional one...needing to be close to family in the USA. With that said, NZ was the easier choice and offered many of the same comforts that we're used to here in SA and I would have been happy to make the move there too and perhaps may still do so if things don't work out with Canada.

At this point its safe to say we're all fed up with South Africa, or rather the circumstances we find ourselves in within this beautiful country of ours, so any "out" is still better than staying here at this point.

• Like 3

Liz88

Now @Luis Dos Santos There I agree with you 100% 

My anywhere but here mentality is in full swing. 

Perhaps I’m just too impatient for my own good and need to trust the process before I throw in the towel. 

• Like 2

Wolverine

NZ is a great place too.

Give it a try @Liz88, i think @Luis Dos Santos is right, especially if you desperately want to leave SA.

• Like 1

Lizelle

The point of that post is not to give up, it is to change your perspective.

Us Saffers (and I suppose everyone else), like to hang our identity on that "aanhouer wen" mentality.  You know: "Boer maak 'n plan", blah, blah, blah.

That is a good attitude in general life.  And having a positive attitude definitely helps when you are trying to immigrate, just to navigate the amount of hoops that you have to jump through.

But immigration is a whole different beast.  It is a numbers game.  You are one of very many millions trying to get in.  And you are one of very many millions that don't have enough points to get picked right of the bat trying to get in.  We may sometimes need to apply the "Beggars can't be choosers" to this one.

Hanging your whole future on a very distant, very remote maybe of (randomly) getting picked for PNP is in my mind no different than buying a lotto ticket every week and deciding that you can just stay in your minimum paying job, because that ticket will be winning any minute now.

No-one really knows what will happen with the PNP.  You can bet your bottom dollar that they have more applications than what they know what do to with.  If they don't open the Nova Scotia PNP for the next 2 years because they have so many applications, would you still be happy with your choice?  Canada is notorious for changing their immigration system every once in a while when the waiting times get too long.  Which may be great or bad.  What has happened every time they change it, is that the people in process goes to the back of the line, and the people applying under the new change get processed first.  So, if you happen to be better off with the change, then you will be able to get to Canada faster.  Or you may not qualify at all anymore.  Or you may be in the line, but now instead of your application taking 2 years to process, it takes 5.  

All of the above, by the way, is not a hypothetical scenario.  When we looked at moving to Canada in 2004 we did qualify, but there were not that many jobs.  We decided on NZ.  We applied and moved to NZ in about 2 months.  In 2009 I happened to look on the CIC website, and saw that they changed their procedures, and now we qualified, and the process was quick (relative, for Canada), about 6 months (3 of those were taken up by mailing time, since we were living on a remote island at the time). 

When we moved to Canada in 2010, there were people that applied in 2004 for Canada that was still waiting for an answer.  So, in the same time that we were enjoying NZ, getting experience in a country that people recognise and can find on a map, living a relaxed and secure life, and being paid in dollars that don't devalue enough to make a difference, getting NZ citizenship, the people in SA were simply...waiting.  Now, sure, they may have done some amazing things in that 5 years.  You have to decide which one you would prefer.

We had jumped the processing queue.  By the time we got to Canada that processing time had moved out to 2 years, and eventually they scrapped that scheme for something else, and eventually to EE (which have been changed and tweaked a few times).  

Saying that you are giving up before you begin is not the right way to look at it, I think.  You can certainly pursue both.  You need an IELTS for NZ too.  You can go into the EE pool and pursue NZ.  

But you need to be honest with yourself with regards to the pro's and con's.  You can wait for the next 5 years to be picked for PNP,  or you can never be picked.  Sure, there is a chance that 2 days after you are completely ready, Nova Scotia opens their PNP stream again, and you happen to be able to get in on the website, and you happen to be picked.  Just like there is a chance that you can buy a lotto ticket next week and win it.  

If it is Canada or nothing else for you, then you have your answer.  If you would rather live in SA than not be in Canada, then you can try things like more studying (I am pretty sure that you cannot take your husband off your application, by the way.  If you don't list him, he cannot come into Canada at a later date because you are here).  To claim points for French you have to be pretty proficient in French.  Maybe you are a language wizz, and that may be an avenue to explore.

All of that will take years.  Again, if it is Canada or bust for you, then you have your answer.  You are willing to take the chance that they change the system and you never get in. 

NZ is a lovely country.  I like it better than Canada :)  (we were seduced by the pretty snow pictures).  

In no way, shape, or form do I think NZ is a second best choice.  It is a DIFFERENT choice.  

Edited by Lizelle
  • Like 2

Lizelle
2 hours ago, Liz88 said:

Perhaps I’m just too impatient for my own good and need to trust the process before I throw in the towel. 

See, that throw in the towel statement (refer to my above reply about "aanhouer wen")?  See that "trust the process" statement.  

The process is there to allow Canada to take 300 000 people (don't know the exact number, but this is whole families) a year from the 5 million people (again, don't know the exact number) that apply.  The process don't care about you.  The process allows them to pick the people that are young and qualified (no relation to if they will actually get a job in Canada or not, the qualification simply counts a lot in the eyes of Canadian officials).

The process in no way, shape or form is there to allow them to get the people most qualified to actually work and contribute the best to Canada (Exhibit A here would be all the drs driving taxis).  

The process is only your friend if you have an EE score over 440.  

Edited by Lizelle
  • Like 2

Nettie

What @Lizelle is saying makes absolute sense. I've always encouraged people to do more schooling if they don't have enough points, but I don't think I would be so quick anymore. If your end goal is Canada and you don't qualify at the time, it makes a lot of sense to go to a different country in the meantime. You can study there too, if you so wish. Unfortunately, the truth is that a NZ or Australia or any European qualification will mean more to an employer. In the end you want to be employed and even if you get the same score with your qualifications as a South African with the immigration process, the others that I mentioned will be regarded higher by employers, because, even in this day and age some people still know absolutely nothing about South Africa. @Liz88

Edited by Nettie
  • Like 1

SuzieQ
On 2/14/2018 at 6:31 AM, Liz88 said:

If I play with a CRS calculator one more time I’ll officially lose the plot. 

After much deliberation I’ve realized that in order to increase our CRS score to over 400 I need to sign up for additional study courses. The Boss (Hubby) is costing us on points because of his age irrespective of qualification and work experience. Where changing things and having me as the the principal applicant on EE profile is better. Do you think it wise to create one profile for him in the meantime even with the low score and as I manage to complete studies then create my profile?

Can any of you think of other ways to increase the CRS score other than additional study and re-write of IELTS if the score isn’t adequate. 

Would you sign up to learn French? Would you try study two different qualifications at the same time? Would you try stalk people in Manitoba to make friends for EOI? 😂 

Even with additional study it looks as if our score will be in the early 400’s 

In terms of EOI for PNP’s finding that all illusive job to increase the score is a long shot so I’m trying to find ways to increase it as much as possible and doing all the networking etc in the background. 

I read somewhere yesterday of someone who had a CRS score of 350 and received a PNP from Nova Scotia 🌈 

All I know is that succeeding at this point is all I need to stay focused on, whatever it takes. 

FCD78CB7-B37B-4668-95FD-13833FD2F7F4.jpeg

I was that someone with a 359 score and NS nomination. Currently waiting for our passports to be returned. you can message me if you like. Never, ever give up hope. If you want it bad enough, you will make it happen xxx

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Marcola

This is a SACanada Forum and not a SANZ forum. I too was told to try NZ, but most people said that with CRS 400 it was possible to get an OINP nomination...and I did. I think its safe to say if you are on this forum, you want to do your best to end up in Canada no matter your score and it is very possible that you can achieve this with a PNP nomination and the constant CIC changes. 

So please dont give up! The process can be your friend even at 359 like my dear friend @SuzieQ mentioned.

Edited by Marcola
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SuzieQ

Adding to what Marcola said, we think we should practice a bit more sensitivity to avoid shattering someone’s hope (even tho that maybe be momentarily). 

Canada has something like 192 ways of immigrating If I’m not mistaken. Find one that works for you. Sometimes it takes longer than others. But there is definitely possibilities and hope for people with a score of less than 400.

• Like 2

Luis Dos Santos
21 minutes ago, Marcola said:

This is a SACanada Forum and not a SANZ forum. I too was told to try NZ but most people said with CRS 400 it was possible to get a OINP nomination...and I did. I think its safe to say if you are on this forum, you want to do your best to end up in Canada no matter your score and it is very possible that you can achieve this with a PNP nomination and the constant CIC changes. 

So please dont give up! The process can be your friend even at 359 like my dear friend @SuzieQ mentioned.

100% agree that you must not give up, but I think the sentiment from most people was that you shouldn't pursue an avenue to the exclusion of all others. You're a perfect example of that because after months of trying to get into the USA you shifted your focus to Canada and succeeded....had you continued to focus all your attention on trying to get into the USA, you never know whether you would have gotten into the USA or not....

• Like 1

Marcola
2 minutes ago, Luis Dos Santos said:

100% agree that you must not give up, but I think the sentiment from most people was that you shouldn't pursue an avenue to the exclusion of all others. You're a perfect example of that because after months of trying to get into the USA you shifted your focus to Canada and succeeded....had you continued to focus all your attention on trying to get into the USA, you never know whether you would have gotten into the USA or not....

Why shouldnt one try an avenue wholeheartedly if they can still get in and it is 100% possible?

The USA has a total of 5 ways or something crazy to get in. I didnt need anyone to tell me to try Canada; I did so on my own and joined this forum for all info on immigration to Canada. Im sure most people on here have gone through stages of losing enough hope for a lifetime and its even worse when others are negative without knowing your exact situation and the many options still available. 

All im saying, is dont losr hope. If you look at my timeline you will see how much we went through to get to Canada. 

• Like 1

Luis Dos Santos
34 minutes ago, Marcola said:

Why shouldnt one try an avenue wholeheartedly if they can still get in and it is 100% possible?

The USA has a total of 5 ways or something crazy to get in. I didnt need anyone to tell me to try Canada; I did so on my own and joined this forum for all info on immigration to Canada. Im sure most people on here have gone through stages of losing enough hope for a lifetime and its even worse when others are negative without knowing your exact situation and the many options still available. 

All im saying, is dont losr hope. If you look at my timeline you will see how much we went through to get to Canada. 

Not negative at all, in fact I also pursued the USA and NZ and am still pursuing both as I still don't have the Canadian golden ticket in hand. I'm aware that I'm already much further along on my journey than the original poster but still, without PPR I'm not prepared to give up trying all avenues.

Perhaps you've misread above, no one said give up at all....the thread is titled the reality of a low CRS score....and the reality is that it's exponentially harder to get in with a low CRS score and therefore it was suggested by many members to ALSO pursue other avenues. Advice that would serve anyone seeking an honest response really well. Unfortunately not all journeys end as successfully as yours and it would be prudent to have a plan B, and as in my case even a plan C. Miracles do happen though, I mean my sister was one of the lucky few to win a US green card last year in the Green Card Lottery...so where there's a chance, one should always go for it.

Edited by Luis Dos Santos
  • Like 1

Marcola
23 minutes ago, Luis Dos Santos said:

Not negative at all, in fact I also pursued the USA and Canada and am still pursuing both as I still don't have the Canadian golden ticket in hand. I'm aware that I'm already much further along on my journey than the original poster but still, without PPR I'm not prepared to give up trying all avenues.

Perhaps you've misread above, no one said give up at all....the thread is titled the reality of a low CRS score....and the reality is that it's exponentially harder to get in with a low CRS score and therefore it was suggested by many members to ALSO pursue other avenues. Advice that would serve anyone seeking an honest response really well. Unfortunately not all journeys end as successfully as yours and it would be prudent to have a plan B, and as in my case even a plan C. Miracles do happen though, I mean my sister was one of the lucky few to win a US green card last year in the Green Card Lottery...so where there's a chance, one should always go for it.

Yes miracles do happen... But on this forum its proven that with determination, alot of people CAN actually get in...I do know what this post is about...infact it was only to do with advise on what avenue to follow to get into Canada and thats what we should be focussing on. Ive seen the NZ comment so many times and I dont think it should be discussed unless someone specifically asked about other countries (personal opinion), especially since theyve invested time, heart and money already. I also believe one can decide on their own if they needed a plan B.

Edited by Marcola
  • Like 1

Luis Dos Santos
6 minutes ago, Marcola said:

Yes miracles do happen... But on this forum its proven that with determination, alot of people CAN actually get in...I do know what this post is about...infact it was only to do with advise on what avenue to follow to get into Canada and thats what we should be focussing on. Ive seen the NZ comment so many times and I dont think it should be discussed unless someone specifically asked about other countries (personal opinion), especially since theyve invested time, heart and money already. I also believe one can decide on their own if they needed a plan B.

Wow, didn't realise I needed to tread so lightly on this forum. Also didn't realise there were "do's and don'ts" to giving advice to a fellow member especially when it's coming from a place of sincerity. Each to their own, but personally I'll continue providing advice from my perspective and opinion which I'm sure I'm entitled to. I'm positive the original poster was not offended by any of the comments regarding a plan "B". Moving along swiftly then.

• Like 1