EtienneL

Noobs from Pretoria

EtienneL

A quick question: If I get a job offer in the mean time to do contract work in Canada, I should get a Work Permit.  Am I correct in assuming that a Work Permit will not in some way disqualify or otherwise harm my chances of attaining Permanent Residence?

Lizelle

Nope, a work permit does not harm in any way.  In fact, a work permit gives you more points on your EE profile.

EtienneL
13 hours ago, Lizelle said:

Nope, a work permit does not harm in any way.  In fact, a work permit gives you more points on your EE profile.

Thanks Lizelle, that's good news.  Can one update your EE application should one manage to get a work permit after applying for PR?  Or is it better to rather apply for a work permit first, wait to get that, and then do the PR application through EE?

I'm considering the option of travelling to Canada and meeting prospective employers and possibly offering to do work for them on a contract basis (software development lends itself really well to this - even remote contract work done here from South-Africa).  I have made a few contacts through my uncle and another company in Canada and want to offer those companies my services, even if it's for a small project at low rates in order for them to gauge my skill.

I see one can get a Visa for business travel if you are not entering the labour market, but rather travelling to build business connections and to broker deals with businesses in Canda.  I'm worried that should I get a contract that I may need to travel to Canada and work with the client for short periods of time (a week or two at a time), before coming back to South-Africa to complete the bulk of the work.  I'm not sure how much time one can spend in Canda to "kick off" a project before it's seen as entering the labour market which will make a business travel Visa not enough.

Lizelle

I'm not sure I can give you good info on this.

A normal work permit can take many months to get.  I am not sure how a short term contract would work.

EtienneL
On 16/02/2018 at 10:15 PM, Lizelle said:

A normal work permit can take many months to get.  I am not sure how a short term contract would work.

Thanks, I'm not going to break my head too much on this now.  I'm pretty sure the company that sounds like it is interested is just being Canadian-polite and that the EE route is still the way to go.

Lizelle

:) Canadian polite in this instance would have been to ignore you.  If they are sounding interested they probably are.

I would not bet your future on it, but it may be something to explore

EtienneL
5 hours ago, Lizelle said:

:) Canadian polite in this instance would have been to ignore you.  If they are sounding interested they probably are.

I would not bet your future on it, but it may be something to explore

Thanks Lizelle, I appreciate any information that help me to understand "the Canadian way".

I keep my expectations low and forge ahead on the premise that people that may be interested, will probably only give concrete offers once I'm in Canada.  And I understand that - as  a company I would also be loathe to offer a job to someone that is still months away from landing.

It's good though to know there is some interest, as it makes the "leap of faith" a bit less scary.

Lizelle

:) I was talking to a Canadian friend once, lamenting the fact that when we apply for something, the people sound all interested, and "we will contact you", and then...nothing.

Well, she says, they are waiting for you to contact them again.

Why?

To show that you are really interested.

Wait...WHAT?

Yeah, the fact that you contact them again shows that you are really interested in the job.

WTF?  How is that not bad manners, and slightly uncouth?  Don't you seem desperate if you contact them again?  Isn't the fact that I applied for the job in the first place indication enough that I am interested?

Nope, that is exactly what they are waiting for.

:wacko:

What for us Saffers (at least from what I can remember), feel like the height of bad manners seems to be nothing for Canadians.  They will tell you they will phone you back, and then never do.  They will tell you they will send the quote, and then never do.  Personally, Canadian Politeness feels a lot like rudeness and bad manners most of the time. 

That is why I think most Saffers with even mediocre customer service would make a killing in Canada.  

• Haha 2

EtienneL
3 hours ago, Lizelle said:

WTF, serious!?  So they are the most polite rude people, it seems, lol.

I'm hoping to start up my software consultancy business there again, and I'll make sure to remember your "great customer service" advise then! :D

• Like 1

Dragyn
7 hours ago, Lizelle said:

:) I was talking to a Canadian friend once, lamenting the fact that when we apply for something, the people sound all interested, and "we will contact you", and then...nothing.

Why?

To show that you are really interested.

Wait...WHAT?

Yeah, the fact that you contact them again shows that you are really interested in the job.

WTF?  How is that not bad manners, and slightly uncouth?  Don't you seem desperate if you contact them again?  Isn't the fact that I applied for the job in the first place indication enough that I am interested?

Nope, that is exactly what they are waiting for.

:wacko:

What for us Saffers (at least from what I can remember), feel like the height of bad manners seems to be nothing for Canadians.  They will tell you they will phone you back, and then never do.  They will tell you they will send the quote, and then never do.  Personally, Canadian Politeness feels a lot like rudeness and bad manners most of the time. 

That is why I think most Saffers with even mediocre customer service would make a killing in Canada.  

Done this about 3 times, where I have contacted the company after they went 'silent'. And still no response from any of them. So I sincerely doubt they are waiting for you to contact them again.

The latest being an AIPP registered employer. On 8 Jan they said they'd get back to me, nothing since despite me mailing them afterwards.

I can understand not getting back to a person when they just submit a resume for a job. But after 2 Skype interviews, surely it is good manners to reply and say 'thanks but no thanks'?

Edited by Dragyn

Lizelle
5 hours ago, Dragyn said:

I can understand not getting back to a person when they just submit a resume for a job. But after 2 Skype interviews, surely it is good manners to reply and say 'thanks but no thanks'?

I know, right!!  It is completely not uncommon.  

That sucks, though.  If they can come back to you and tell you that, you can move on.  

I would try to phone them if you have not yet, and find out.

AnelleR2008

I wanted to mention something that wasn't already mentioned (I think.  I just skimmed the post):    If you want to move to New Brunswick being able to speak French will be a HUGE benefit, especially if you are going to have your own business.   New Brunswick is a bilingual province.  In fact it is the only bilingual province in Canada. 

Dragyn
On 2/20/2018 at 10:50 AM, Dragyn said:

Done this about 3 times, where I have contacted the company after they went 'silent'. And still no response from any of them. So I sincerely doubt they are waiting for you to contact them again.

The latest being an AIPP registered employer. On 8 Jan they said they'd get back to me, nothing since despite me mailing them afterwards.

Eventually got the 'Thanks, but no thanks' email last night..... almost 2 month later. But at least they bothered to respond.