Sign in to follow this  
FaithFUL

It's time to go

FaithFUL

We'll be flying to Canada exactly 2,5 years after creating our first EE profile. We received the message that our visas are in our passports on our anniversary nogal! 

I've cried enough tears to flood Canada, had enough stomping-feet temper tantrums to shift continents, but it all changed when hubby & I said: "OK God, this is Yours." Things just started happening in a way that made my head spin. When we're settled I'll write my whole story which will hopefully encourage those that have been waiting for a long time for the miracle ITA.

• Like 8

Freddy
10 minutes ago, FaithFUL said:

We'll be flying to Canada exactly 2,5 years after creating our first EE profile. We received the message that our visas are in our passports on our anniversary nogal! 

I've cried enough tears to flood Canada, had enough stomping-feet temper tantrums to shift continents, but it all changed when hubby & I said: "OK God, this is Yours." Things just started happening in a way that made my head spin. When we're settled I'll write my whole story which will hopefully encourage those that have been waiting for a long time for the miracle ITA.

Congratulations @FaithFUL. This morning the Lord reminded me that the call of God to every believer is a call to DIE to self and whenever God finds a man or woman who is willing to die to personal rights and self-life, He makes His power, life and strength flow through that individual.

• Like 2

FaithFUL

Phew, we've been in Halifax for almost 3 weeks now. I think it's time for the landing story?

Ok. Our trip started off with heart attack material - our youngest son's passport wouldn't clear at the airport. After some investigation it turned out that the passport number on the visa had duplicated one digit which was CIC's error. Really? I checked those visas so many times as I had nightmares about the photos being swapped around, I checked numbers but clearly my OCD went AWOL on this one!  Qatar was seriously helpful & phoned CIC to see what could be done. CIC then corrected the number electronically & we were good to go. Just before boarding I was stopped, Qatar wanted to take photos of the passport & visa to make sure we didn't have any issues in Qatar. 

I have to slot in that my mom-in-law has told us dreadful stories about a kid whose papers were wrong & then couldn't leave that country which was halfway to the USA & that took 6 weeks to sort out. Did I mention that my dear mom-in-law was present at the airport when all of this went down with us? Her eyes lit up as she realized that we might not be going after all.

We thought the kids would sleep on the first flight as it was at night, but they only fell asleep at about 2am. We landed in Doha with 1h40mins layover. As we stopped at the end of the line at our gate we were called out by an employee & my heart stopped. My immediate thought was that we will be flying back to SA, but ALAS. Having young kids at that airport turns out to be a blessing as we were simply directed to the priority line, my heart skipped a few beats but all was good. Families with young kids are also allowed to board first.

Montreal was our first point of entry into Canada so we did our landing there which didn't take long. It was a Sunday afternoon so there weren't many people. I did have a "what the heck have we done" moment at Montreal as it's all French & they weren't very friendly. Mind you, I also don't like working on Sundays! :P

Halifax was next. We were greeted by a group of church people which was very sweet as it was quite late at night. We're staying with friends & they had a feast laid out for us to nibble on & then it was off to bed. A solid eight hour sleep revived us & we immediately slotted into the different time zone. It helps not sleeping much on the plane & landing at night. Ha ha ha.

The first week we sorted out our sin numbers, bank accounts, had a look around Halifax to see which areas were nice & then spent hours trying to find a rental in the area we decided on. There were only two & the one was taken. The other was only available for viewing on the 3rd of March. We tried getting a cell phone contract with Bell, but couldn't without a Canadian photo ID of some sort. We ended up getting a prepaid number to start off with. Looks like we still need to shop around for decent cell contracts.

The second week was dedicated to job hunting, writing several cover letters and making sure that resume was spot on. We also looked at the school in the area & were very impressed with what we saw. The headmaster & our friends know each other well so we were able to start the process of getting the paperwork done without having our own place yet which was a HUGE blessing.

The third week we looked at the rental & the landlord were happy to lease the place to us. We're moving in on 1 April. The kids started school & had a happy 3 days before March break started. Hubby wrote his learners & passed. He phoned the same day to book for a road test which apparently was fully booked until end of April. Luck was on our side again & he could do his road test the very next day due to a cancellation. Need I say that he was sweating & was very relieved that it was over and that he passed. Week three was a good week. I've had two interviews so far & one telephonic interview where I was told that I would need to go in for a physical interview next week. I've got to confirm a time for another interview next week as well. I'm pleased that I'm getting interviews and that the employers are not adverse to hire an immigrant. It does mean though that the salary is below average they say you don't have Canadian experience, BUT I really don't mind.

All & all we're loving the friendly people. Our kids have been invited to a birthday party next week. We've been invited for brunch & a hike/ walk on Sunday. It's still early days, but we are very happy so far.

This weekend we'll hopefully get our wheels. Insurance is rather tricky, we're busy dealing with several companies that will hopefully take our drivers history into consideration. Our friends insurance company didn't want to insure us driving  their cars on SA drivers license, so we're pretty much reliant on them carting us around for now. Our neighbourhood are not in a public transit area. They have been absolutely amazing in helping us with all the frilly stuff that comes with being a new Canadian.

Anyway, this is a very condensed version of what has been happening. Feel free to inbox me if you have any questions on any of the stuff that we've been doing :D

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Reibtseb

Interesting about the phone contract, and insurance. I got a Fido contract on the same day I landed, with no banking details, only COPR and passport. And car insurance through ICBC wasn't an issue either. Must be different provincial rules. But yea, amazing place and people!