collgav

Elna Sewing Machine & Overlocker - Will they work there?

collgav

Hello friends

I have quick question. We are getting our things ready to ship over next month and I was wondering if my Elna sewing Machine and over locker would work in Canada with the right cable. They are still like new and know I wouldn't get much for them here in SA so would prefer to take them if they will work. We are taking a container anyway so there is no problem shipping them over. Anyone on the forum taken theirs over? Would appreciate any advice. Thank you so much. Have a great day!! :)

MaryJane

According to a sewing machine expert (aka the man in my house):

If your Elna sewing machine and overlocker can take power supply of 120v and 220v, all you will need is a 2-pin adapter, then you can just plug it in here.

If not, you will need a  transformer/converter (around $100 here) to convert the voltage.

I think it’s worth it to take your Elna with you, it’s a very good machine.

If you live close enough to me, I can even arrange a mechanic to look at it for you from time to time. ;)

All the best with your coming trip!

• Haha 1

collgav
3 hours ago, MaryJane said:

According to a sewing machine expert (aka the man in my house):

If your Elna sewing machine and overlocker can take power supply of 120v and 220v, all you will need is a 2-pin adapter, then you can just plug it in here.

If not, you will need a  transformer/converter (around $100 here) to convert the voltage.

I think it’s worth it to take your Elna with you, it’s a very good machine.

If you live close enough to me, I can even arrange a mechanic to look at it for you from time to time. ;)

All the best with your coming trip!

Thank you so much @MaryJane It looks like Im going to need a transformer then. Please thank your sewing machine expert / mechanic for me :D . Wish I was going to be living closer but I think Winkler, Manitoba will be a bit far :P.

Thank you so much for the good wishes. We can't wait!! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Hennie vdB

A bit bulky, I know, but it works very well on the 220V fridge/freezer we brought over:  Only CAD40... just check the sowing machine's wattage, but I doubt it will be more than 500W.

https://www.amazon.ca/Simran-AC-500-Converter-Transformer-220V-500-watt/dp/B004MPR3XQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518187093&sr=8-3&keywords=220+volt+to+110+volt+transformer&dpID=412jr9BqUvL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Thanks 1

collgav
21 hours ago, Hennie Calgary said:

A bit bulky, I know, but it works very well on the 220V fridge/freezer we brought over:  Only CAD40... just check the sowing machine's wattage, but I doubt it will be more than 500W.

https://www.amazon.ca/Simran-AC-500-Converter-Transformer-220V-500-watt/dp/B004MPR3XQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518187093&sr=8-3&keywords=220+volt+to+110+volt+transformer&dpID=412jr9BqUvL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Thank you so much @Hennie Calgary really appreciate you taking the time to respond and for sending the link. So happy to have a solution to my dilemma :ilikeit:

• Thanks 1

Nettie
On 2/8/2018 at 10:46 AM, collgav said:

......It looks like Im going to need a transformer then. Please thank your sewing machine expert / mechanic for me :D . Wish I was going to be living closer but I think Winkler, Manitoba will be a bit far :P........

I brought mine with me but it was with an expert in the house. We also brought a transformer from SA.

What you need to think about, when getting a transformer in Canada: Your sewing machine and overlocker (they call it a serger here), will need to be able to plug into the transformer. Maybe MJ's expert or Hennie can chime in about plug adapters for transformers. @MaryJane @Hennie Calgary

• Thanks 1

collgav
6 hours ago, Nettie said:

I brought mine with me but it was with an expert in the house. We also brought a transformer from SA.

What you need to think about, when getting a transformer in Canada: Your sewing machine and overlocker (they call it a serger here), will need to be able to plug into the transformer. Maybe MJ's expert or Hennie can chime in about plug adapters for transformers. @MaryJane @Hennie Calgary

Thank you so much @Nettie. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Will take all these things into consideration:).

• Like 1

Hennie vdB

Disclaimer: I try to help, but am NO expert when it comes to electronics.

And yes, I forgot about the plug. The SA round-pin plug will not fit, and over here it is not so easy to change plugs (due to Canadian codes as explained on another thread.) These transformers can accommodate UK square-pin plugs as well as the US flat-plate plugs. So a travel plug adapter will be required.

I also checked, it appears sewing machines only use about 100W, hence you may be able to get away with these smaller ones. I use this one to drive the fan on my Biltong King box. Example:

https://www.amazon.ca/BQLZR-Adapter-Converter-Transformer-Standard/dp/B015R4LE0I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1518357151&sr=8-5&keywords=110+to+220+voltage+converter&dpID=418lXTjOxJL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

• Like 1

MaryJane

My husband says you can also just cut the 3-prong plug and replace it into a 2-pin one.

But since I have no idea what my husband just tried to explain to me, I refer to a "how to change plugs for dummies" page below. :P

http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/home-improvement/electrical-wiring/how-to-change-appliance-cords-and-plugs/ 

• Like 1

MaryJane

As has been pointed out to me by a reader and my "expert" husband, apparently it's not 2-pin but rather a 3-pin with a ground.

Canada have those too.

There was a thread referred to a while by a forumite with regards the difficulty in replacing plugs (I believe this is what Hennie was talking about): http://www.sacanada.org/topic/240-220v-ac-appliances-in-canada/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-21782

I'll post a photo after this. It's just on my phone.

Apologies for the confusion.

• Like 1

MaryJane

Here's a photo my husband took of what he replaced:

IMG_1118.jpg.39def37f156b1a759fdec532d8be6914.jpg

• Like 2

collgav

Thank you so much @MaryJane and @Hennie Calgary & @Nettie you guys are absolute stars. Just love this forum and all the wonderful, kind and helpful forumites :wub: Thank you for taking the time and trouble to explain all these things that need to be taken into consideration and for posting links and pics. I'm going to be an expert after all this :P.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hennie vdB

Ja-a-a-a, we all secretly compete to be the "Most Helpful", but then @MaryJane just always has to go the extra mile. A high bar to clear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

MaryJane
5 minutes ago, Hennie Calgary said:

Ja-a-a-a, we all secretly compete to be the "Most Helpful", but then @MaryJane just always has to go the extra mile. A high bar to clear.

Ag, nee man... :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

MargueriteE

Hi everyone. Can anyone advise me where to buy the plugs? Seems there is strict regulations on changing your own plugs...? 

I got the step down volt converter / transformer but also forgot the plug must be a CA one iso SA... The travel adapter also don't allow for SA plugs. Everything you plug in must be the CA type..  😒

On Sun Feb 11 2018 at 2:31 PM, MaryJane said:

My husband says you can also just cut the 3-prong plug and replace it into a 2-pin one.

But since I have no idea what my husband just tried to explain to me, I refer to a "how to change plugs for dummies" page below. :P

http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/home-improvement/electrical-wiring/how-to-change-appliance-cords-and-plugs/ 

@MaryJane. Thanks for this. Was exactly the info I needed.. 😉

LaraDK

@MargueriteEPlugs are quite easy to find here - Home Depot or Canadian Tire (like Builders Warehouse) will probably have what you need. 

I changed over all my lamp plugs and they are just fine. The only thing I noticed is that the live and neutral wires are different colours here, so just make a note of that when switching over your plugs.

If you are gathering electrical supplies though, you may want a few of these: 

https://www.acdc.co.za/products/b22-e27-lamp-holder-adaptor?variant=30481328268

Turns out they don't have bayonet light bulbs here and almost all my lamps took those ... This sorted it out very cheaply (happy a friend from SA could bring these over on a visit - they are wayyy more expensive on amazon - plus shipping ....). 

• Thanks 1

MargueriteE

@LaraDK Thanks. I found it at Home depo. Yay! I was trying to find the old comment about the different wires. Thanks 😀 you saved me a lot of trouble finding the old conversation. 

• Like 1