JeffH

Virtual Coffee Club 11 Feb 2018

JeffH

As some of you may have seen on the Facebook group, we have been discussing hosting a virtual coffee club / Q and A session on Sunday 11 Feb @ 11:00EST (18:00SAST). 

I will post details of how to connect / dial-in on Facebook and here on Friday/Saturday. 

We will answer questions and keep it general this time but in future we may choose a topic and discuss that for the meetup (i.e. schools, weather, express entry steps etc)

Anyone is welcome and the more people we have that are willing to answer questions, the better! We were all there once.

• Like 4

JeffH

Meeting registration URL added:
https://sandvine.zoom.us/…/register/ccd62b1cfce902aecde7dc3…

The meeting room can only handle 100 attendees so we need to control access via registration. The meeting will be recorded for those that would prefer to listen later or cannot make this time.

Please note the meeting room will only be opened on Sunday. I'm using my company account for this, so please respect that.

Post questions on here that you would like answered - maybe not generic questions but something where you would like to hear someone's experience i.e. not something you can search for on a forum.

• Like 3

Sarika

That's very kind of you @JeffH :ilikeit:

Please may I know what the FB group is called.

JeffH
5 hours ago, Sarika said:

That's very kind of you @JeffH :ilikeit:

Please may I know what the FB group is called.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sacanada/ 

• Like 1

Kanrabat

I’m interested to watch the video once it’s ready and posted 😊

JeffH
21 hours ago, Piper said:

I’m interested to watch the video once it’s ready and posted 😊

No video - What do you want to see? :D

The recording will be ready asap - within an hour or 2 of finishing the meeting

• Like 1

Kanrabat
15 minutes ago, JeffH said:

No video - What do you want to see? :D

The recording will be ready asap - within an hour or 2 of finishing the meeting

Wanted to see you Jeff!

Okay, looking forward to the recording. 😊

Gary van der Westhuizen

Hi All

Sorry we missed this. Excellent idea!! 

I missed the name now, but the lady that asked about 25 minutes in about getting jobs from SA, they look at your resume, and that has your cell number and address on it. If you don't have a Canadian Number and postal code, it gets thrown out automatically. My experience has been people want to talk to you face to face, in person, not even Skype. Both my wife and I got 2 job offers each within a month of getting here, and it was in our field. My wife actually earns double what she earned in SA. I think we were extremely lucky, but it happens that you don't need a survival job. As soon as you get PR, start the SOPA process, they really helped us with Resume's etc. 

Someone mentioned a moving company, but I couldn't quite hear the name, about 45minutes in, can someone please assist? 

• Like 1

Kanrabat

Hi @Gary van der Westhuizen

I must agree with your general sentiment. Myself and my husband both got jobs from SA after we obtained CoPR. We also never did the ‘survival jobs’ thing for ‘Canadian experience’. I then moved jobs after 3 months to an even nicer job. Just like yourselves; we are far better off in Canada than we ever were in SA. Yes, perhaps we are ‘lucky’, but we aimed high from the get-go as opposed to a lot of Saffas who sell themselves short prior to arrival based on a few negative experiences posted here. We also chose Canada based on the skills-shortages here.

I assume my post won’t be very popular.

C’est la vie! 

• Like 2

Annasofe13

@JeffH thank you for sharing the audio, interesting listen, thank you for taking the time to help others in their journey. Will see if we can pop in next time to help with the advice.

• Like 2

MaryJane
5 minutes ago, Piper said:

I assume my post won’t be very popular.

On the contrary....

Everybody's experiences are different and so listening and hearing others give different opinions/comments/success stories will give a balanced view for many hopefuls.

We can only draw from our own experiences. I can say many a painful word about the sob story I went through, but I'd like to focus more to say that "yes, I went through that to survive in Canada, but here I am now!"

I believe we all love Canada one way or another for whatever it has given us......(that's why we're all here to help).

• Like 5

Nelline

@Piper we also never did the "survival job" thing, more luck and "there but for the Grace of God go I" than any specific spectacular talent on our behalf. Everyone has their own little road to travel and I'm thankful mine kept me out of the Walmart and McDonald's employment queue.

• Like 5

Kanrabat

Don’t get me wrong. I’m grateful that there are people working those jobs. I just didn’t feel that South Africa was that bad that I’d come here to do it.

JeffH
2 hours ago, Piper said:

Don’t get me wrong. I’m grateful that there are people working those jobs. I just didn’t feel that South Africa was that bad that I’d come here to do it.

I think it's ok to have it as a worst case backup plan in some cases but definitely not in the actual plan - unless by survival job they mean a lower ranking job in your own industry. The McDonalds etc is crazy. I got my PR, landed and went back to SA to continue working until I could find a job. 

To add to your post, I think a lot of people don't put in a lot of effort and maybe give up after 10 or 15 rejections. Maybe they expect to be spoonfed like in SA - overcoming this is definitely part of the experience. Also if some folks can't figure out how to dial into the conference (one click process) then I feel sorry for them when they have to manage the 100 PDFs you need to submit for Express Entry :P

• Like 2

Odijonk

@JeffH... i listened to the discussion this morning and loved it!!!  I must admit i killed myself laughing every time you chipped in to say... hey we want them to come.. 😉  i really hope i can also join the next chat.. quick question ... Does university's have scholarship/ bursery programs? is French given in elementary schools and secondary schools as a language or is additional? 

thanks again everyone.... 

• Haha 1

MaryJane

Hi @Odijonk I believe this was asked briefly on chat. French is taught from Grade 4. This is for basic French. It’s part of the curriculum. Students get to choose whether to continue this after Grade 9.

Odijonk

@MaryJane... tnx i think my attention was diverted at that stage... any remark regarding university bursaries? 

MaryJane
4 hours ago, Odijonk said:

@MaryJane... tnx i think my attention was diverted at that stage... any remark regarding university bursaries? 

There are university bursaries. I don't know much about them though. My eldest got a bursary when she did her first year. She got a $1000 off the fees. I think you can apply for them but we never seemed to be eligible for most of them after that first year.

I can tell you that there are student loans available for the rest of the fees. In Ontario, we have what we call OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program). For this, the student needs to apply for eligibility, etc. and then the government helps with the university fees.

If university is expensive, there are alternatives, like colleges, etc. where the school fees are more reasonable.

• Thanks 1

AnelleR2008

One could apply for scholarships.   There are some out there, you just have to look for them.   Some are very specific (for certain cultural groups or certain study directions), some are not.  

Companies usually don't sponsor students like in SA - like my DH had a Sappi bursary, so they paid his studies in SA, and then he had to work xx years for them upon graduation.

The universities often have the $1000 scholarships that MJ mentioned.  It is linked to your average over the 6 grade 12 credits that you use to apply.  Our son is at Ottawa U and he will continue getting that each semester as long as his marks remain above 80% (maybe 85%).

Some students choose to do a programme with co-op so they get work experience AND they get paid during the coop semesters that they can then use towards their studies.  

OSAP is a great programme.  A portion of the money is a grant, and the rest is a very low interest loan (only start paying it back after graduation).  

University is expensive, but there are options to make it happen if you really want to.  When we moved to Canada we told our children that they will be responsible for their own fees as we spent everything to move here.  They have all been aware of it and our eldest, despite making some financial decisions that I didn't think were great, started university this year in January (he started 2nd semester).   He wants to graduate with as little debt as possible.    Our second eldest is 17.   He is working part time and saving.  He is planning on traveling after high school for 2 reasons:   1.  Well, he wants to see the world, and 2. he will keep some money in an account whilst traveling but he will also study in Ontario.   He will get OSAP.  After 4 years out of school he would be considered independent and the grant portion of OSAP is then WAY bigger than if you are considered a dependent.  So he is thinking of traveling for 2 years, work along the way and see as much of the world as he can.   Then 2 years into his study the debt portion of OSAP will be lower and he will end up with very little debt between that and his savings.  

• Thanks 1

LiezelJ
On 2/12/2018 at 12:07 AM, Gary van der Westhuizen said:

Hi All

Sorry we missed this. Excellent idea!! 

I missed the name now, but the lady that asked about 25 minutes in about getting jobs from SA, they look at your resume, and that has your cell number and address on it. If you don't have a Canadian Number and postal code, it gets thrown out automatically. My experience has been people want to talk to you face to face, in person, not even Skype. Both my wife and I got 2 job offers each within a month of getting here, and it was in our field. My wife actually earns double what she earned in SA. I think we were extremely lucky, but it happens that you don't need a survival job. As soon as you get PR, start the SOPA process, they really helped us with Resume's etc. 

Someone mentioned a moving company, but I couldn't quite hear the name, about 45minutes in, can someone please assist? 

Hi, @Gary van der Westhuizenwhat is the SOPA process? 

Odijonk

@AnelleR2008... great advice and thank you for sharing.. jeezzzz must be a proud mom with boys thinking like that .... wow ... highly impressed... i will definitely come back to this post .. have a great day

• Like 1

Gary van der Westhuizen

@LiezelJ it is a program that prepares you for coming over. We focused on job readiness, so they help you with Resume writing etc. It is paid for by the government. PM me if you want to know more.