Carla9xx

Looking for work on a tourist visa?

Carla9xx

We desperately want to move to Canada but we were told we need a work permit to find work in Canada however you need an employer to have a work permit ??? 

Is the only way to find work online? Or could we go over for a week on a tourist visa looking for work? 

Please help us out 🍁

Lizelle

I am not sure about the legalities of looking for work on a tourist visa.  I am pretty sure it is not allowed.  You can probably easily get away with it for the most part, but if you are caught, or something stands out to the immigration officer, you would probably barred from entering Canada again.

Setting that aside, your chances of finding someone that is willing to give you a job is VERY slim.  The employer would have to be willing to wait for you for months while the Work Visa is processed.

What would your EE score be in a perfect world? (IELTS at the highest level)

Edited by Lizelle
  • Like 2

Tarryn Ludwig

I was told by most people in Canada when we were there in December that noone will hire you unless you have PR or a Work permit, no company can hire you on a tourist visa.  Getting a work permit is also a mission the company basically has to advertise and say there were no Canadians that applied or validate as to why they are giving the position to you and not to a Canadian. 

Carla9xx

How did everyone else do it then? :unsure:

I'm certain everyone in here knows South Africa is not the best place to be anymore, I have a degree and am busy obtaining my honours yet I can't find a job that even offers me close to the average South African Salary, there's no growth left for the youth in South Africa.

Please, can anyone offer any advice

Ominous_Hashtag

Unfortunately your best bet at this point is probably to go the PR route via Express Entry. As far as I know you are not allowed to go looking for a job on a Tourist Visa and as you already know the Work Permit route can be very tough.

I would make an educated guess that at the moment most of the people on this forum go for their PR first and then start looking for work online once they have it - even then many people only land a job once they've relocated to Canada. At least the PR gives you the golden ticket out of SA.

Maybe calculate your CRS score for Express Entry as a starting point.

• Like 3

Carla9xx

Thanks so much for all the advise:)

Kanrabat

Most people get PR first and then subsequently get jobs as @Lizelle and @Ominous_Hashtag stated above.

As far as I know it’s illegal to look for work on a tourist visa as you obtained the visa on grounds of wanting to visit the country as opposed to coming here and looking for jobs. Unfortunately there are no shortcuts.

If you want it bad enough; you’ll work hard on it and get it eventually. 

Good luck!

Carla9xx

@Piper Thank you, we are going to work our butts off to get there. Was just really hoping to go this year still.

MaryJane

Welcome to the forums @Carla9xx

I agree with the comments given you above.

If you are even able to find an employer willing to help you with this, another hurdle may be getting the work visa whilst within Canada as a visitor.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=172&top=17

Good to see though that you’re not giving up. There are many ways into Canada and hopefully one of them will be the right one for you.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Lizelle

Our advice will differ greatly depending on your situation.

If you can give us some basic details, we may be able to check your EE score.

Everything depends on that.  If you have 450, then you will be picked on the next round as soon as you get your profile done.  If you have 430, then you still stand a good chance, but you may have to wait a bit.

Anything under 400 means that you have to look at Plan B, C, D and E.

Can you get provincial nomination?  How much work is there in your area?  

I very much disagree with the "Where there is a will, there is a way" sentiment. 

Or, I suppose, more accurately, when that sentiment keeps you focused on Canada to the exclusion of all else.  I have seen many people on here that has no hope of getting into Canada, barring a very distant miracle, yet they keep hoping for provincial nomination, or a job offer.  Sure, those things can happen, but do you hang your whole future on simply passively hoping that something will happen?  It can be years from now.  Look at all your options, and make an educated and calculated decision on how long your are willing to wait.  Canada may be your first choice, but would you rather stay in South Africa for the next 5 years, and then MAYBE get into Canada, or would you move to a different country now, and then in 5 years decide if you still want to move to Canada?  At least in the meantime you have earned money that is not diminishing as you look at it, and you have work experience in a country that people recognize. 

Immigration does not care about you.  It does not care if you are a nice person or a hard worker.  It is a pure numbers game for them.  There are millions behind you that also want to get in.  There is no incentive for a company to give you a job offer unless you are exceptionally skilled.  

I would look at NZ or Oz if I were you.  NZ is a LOT easier to get into than Canada.  You generally - depending on where and when you got your degree - do not have to do a WES (or the equivalent in NZ).  Things happen fast.

You can get a job offer in NZ and the work visa will be done a week later (keeping in with that timeline of getting out this year).  You can apply for a job and be there next month.  Their economy is booming at the moment, so, depending on your job, it should be fairly easy to get a job offer.  

Oz can be easier or harder than NZ, depending on your points.  We never qualified for OZ until we got our NZ citizenship, and I have not really kept up to date with their requirements, but it will be easier than Canada, I can almost guarantee it.  

Edited by Lizelle
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kanrabat
1 hour ago, Lizelle said:

Our advice will differ greatly depending on your situation.

If you can give us some basic details, we may be able to check your EE score.

Everything depends on that.  If you have 450, then you will be picked on the next round as soon as you get your profile done.  If you have 430, then you still stand a good chance, but you may have to wait a bit.

Anything under 400 means that you have to look at Plan B, C, D and E.

Can you get provincial nomination?  How much work is there in your area?  

I very much disagree with the "Where the is a will, there is a way" sentiment. 

Or, I suppose, more accurately, when that sentiment keeps you focused on Canada to the exclusion of all else.  I have seen many people on here that has no hope of getting into Canada, barring a very distant miracle, yet they keep hoping for provincial nomination, or a job offer.  Sure, those things can happen, but do you hang your whole future on simply passively hoping that something will happen?  It can be years from now.  Look at all your options, and make an educated and calculated decision on how long your are willing to wait.  Canada may be your first choice, but would you rather stay in South Africa for the next 5 years, and then MAYBE get into Canada, or would you move to a different country now, and then in 5 years decide if you still want to move to Canada.  At least in the meantime you have earned money that is not diminishing as you look at it, and you have work experience in a country that people recognize. 

Immigration does not care about you.  It does not care if you are a nice person or a hard worker.  It is a pure numbers game for them.  There are millions behind you that also want to get in.  There is no incentive for a company to give you a job offer unless you are exceptionally skilled.  

I would look at NZ or Oz if I were you.  NZ is a LOT easier to get into than Canada.  You generally - depending on where and when you got your degree - do not have to do a WES (or the equivalent in NZ).  Things happen fast.

You can get a job offer in NZ and the work visa will be done a week later (keeping in with that timeline of getting out this year).  You can apply for a job and be there next month.  Their economy is booming at the moment, so, depending on your job, it should be fairly easy to get a job offer.  

Oz can be easier or harder than NZ, depending on your points.  We never qualified for OZ until we got our NZ citizenship, and I have not really kept up to date with their requirements, but it will be easier than Canada, I can almost guarantee it.  

Some real good advice here. 

I must say NZ was our first option but Canada just happened faster in our scenario. I still often think of NZ although I’m very happy here .... 

• Like 2

Nettie

It is illegal to enter on a visitors visa and look for work. Immigration is a lengthy process for most. Do all the research you can, as you are already doing and things will pan out for you in the future. Good advice, since you are only starting to look at leaving SA, to consider other countries as well. There may be other options in the rest of the world, that are more suitable to your specific situation. Good luck, enjoy being young and entering a new chapter in your life!

• Like 2

Lizelle
19 minutes ago, Piper said:

I still often think of NZ although I’m very happy here .... 

:) For me, NZ is "home".  

I think Canada had an attraction for us because it was where we wanted to move before we went to NZ.  While it is difficult to be too down on a decision that gave our kids Canadian citizenship :) , I often think of our move out of NZ as one of the biggest mistakes we made.  

• Sad 1

Kanrabat
2 hours ago, Lizelle said:

:) For me, NZ is "home".  

I think Canada had an attraction for us because it was where we wanted to move before we went to NZ.  While it is difficult to be too down on a decision that gave our kids Canadian citizenship :) , I often think of our move out of NZ as one of the biggest mistakes we made.  

We should perhaps retire in NZ... HA! 

Lizelle
1 minute ago, Piper said:

We should perhaps retire in NZ... HA! 

:) that is funny.  It is something that we often talk about.  I cannot imagine being 80 and living in the snow.  I would definitely not want to retire in Canada.

• Like 1

Carla9xx

Definitely some good advise here 👌

Not very sure where to start with the EE how do you get a score over 430?

If you guys don't mind helping me get a ballpark figure I'd really appreciate it ❤

@Lizelle @Piper 

Carla9xx

@Lizelle must I look at the grand total? 

Lizelle

Yes :)  The total right at the end with everything together

Carla9xx

I got 530 😁 that's good right?

Lizelle

That is a great score.

From that I am going to assume that both you and your partner has a full university degree?

Edited by Lizelle

Carla9xx

I do, however he has a ton of trade experience but only a certificate, his score is 460 so this is good news right? 

Is the first step to go take the language tests?

Thanks so much by the way ❤ this is such a big help 🌷

Lizelle

Yes, that is great news.  You pick the person with the most points, in this case you, and they are the main applicant.  It does not affect anything afterwards.  Both main applicant and anyone else gets full PR. 

From that points, the quicker you get into the pool, the faster you will be selected, the faster you are done :) 

It feels like a lot of points, but it looks right.  However, I would do the write out version and check, if I were you (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html) .  That gives you the points for every bit, and you can add it together yourself to check.  Don't worry about the IELTS levels, just pick the highest bit.  

First step is both WES (qualification) and IELTS (language).  WES can take a while (2 - 3 months, I think, though it may be a little less).  You cannot send transcripts of your degree directly to WES.  What you do, is you go to the institution.  They print everything out, stamp it, put it in an official envelope and stamp that.  You then take that envelope and put it in a DHL envelope, and mail it to WES.

IELTS can sometimes take a while too, depending on how many spaces you have open on test dates.

Other than that, if you don't have unabridged birth certificates (that show both your parents names, and where they were born), you need to get that.  If you are married, an unabridged marriage certificate.  If you are not married, you need to prove 12 months of living together.

• Like 1

Lizelle

This gives you a general overview of the number of people at what points in the pool

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/rounds-invitations.html

That also shows the last draw, which was 444 points.

If you have a look at the previous rounds of selections, anything over 450 will get you almost immediately selected.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/rounds-invitations/results-previous.html