Sign in to follow this  
MargueriteE

Unabridged marriage and birth certificates

MargueriteE

Hi. We got out PR approvals with only the hand written marriage certificate and my kids unabridged birth certificates. People are fussing about unabridged marriage certificate and birth for the adults. Would any of these really be necessary if we already got the PR? Home affairs is a mess and it takes apparently ages to get the documents. We hope to be arriving in CA in June. Any advice would be appreciated.

Piper

My advice would be to get absolutely everything while you are still in SA. You can use DocAssist if you don’t want to go to DHA yourself.

• Thanks 1

Annasofe13

I agree with Piper, get everything while you are still in SA, one of those rather be safe than sorry situations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LidiaS77

We applied for PR with our handwritten marriage certificate, but we also applied for our unabridged marriage certificate and got it before leaving SA. I was told that the ink on the handwritten certificate might fade over time and become illegible so that is one reason to have the unabridged copy. I needed an unabridged birth certificate to prove relation to family in Canada for the PR application, but we also got one for my husband. This might be needed in the future for e.g. sponsoring parents. We used DocAssist and had no problems getting the documents on time through them.

• Thanks 1

logan

Got our ITA, busy with the initial questions. Came across people mentioning the unabridged marriage certificate. Does this mean the original marriage certificate will not be sufficient when finally applying?

LidiaS77
4 hours ago, logan said:

Came across people mentioning the unabridged marriage certificate. Does this mean the original marriage certificate will not be sufficient when finally applying?

We used a copy of our original handwritten marriage certificate for EE (FSW) in 2016 without any problems. I was told that the ink might fade over time on the handwritten certificate so it might be a good idea to get the unabridged one any way, but we've never needed it for anything.

Edited by LidiaS77

logan

Thanks!