Sign in to follow this  
Rikj

Moving companies

Rikj

Hi

Has anyone used Elliot Mobility to ship their container to Canada? If so, have you been happy with how they packed and their service? 

I've gotten a few quotes and Elliot has come back one of the cheapest so far

Thanks 

Caryn 

LaraDK

Elliott's quote was almost R14 000 more than Biddulphs when I had them come out to assess what would be needed. That being said, I know someone who used Elliott for a local move, and they were very happy with the service and packing, and really sang their praises.

• Like 1

Rikj

Wow really?? Biddulphs quoted us 15k more:/ 

Edited by Rikj

Rikj

Or any other moving company reviews out there based on experience?

Piper

We used Biddulphs and it was quite good.

MuggleOnline

Can anyone recommend a company to use to just send a couple of boxes? It definitely isn't enough to fill a container, probably around 5 or 6 boxes. We aren't bring any furniture across but there are a couple sentimental items and books that we would like to bring over. Unfortunately books are far too heavy to bring over in suitcases so we are stuck having to ship them.

Rikj

Hi @MuggleOnline

Any of the removal companies can do a part container depending on how much you want to take. You'll have a shared container in other words 

We haven't yet decided who we're going with.. Looks like either Biddulphs or Elliott Mobility :huh:

MuggleOnline

Thanks @Rikj - will have to take a look and see who can give us the best price. Will have to wait until we are back in SA though to sort out our storage :wacko:

Rikj

No problem @MuggleOnline.

I've just got some quotes myself.. So far the best price has been Bailey Worldwide and Elliott (followed by Biddulphs and Pickfords). But seems to differ from some other people that have said Biddulphs has been the cheapest. 

Won't hurt to get a quote though based on your items..and the consultants will come out free of charge:)

If it's not a lot of items you can probably get an online quote instead of waiting until you're back in SA. I think you just provide an inventory list to them. 

Edited by Rikj
  • Like 1

Kayla

From what I’ve heard container sharing wasn’t really possible since there aren’t enough people traveling between South Africa and Canada. Have any of you heard differently. We also don’t have nearly enough to warrant a full container. 

Cornel

Hi guys,

I have received a quote from British International Removals (R183618.00 for a 40ft container) and ARS Logistics (R131391.00 for a 40ft container), waiting for quote from Bayleys and will ask one from Biddulphs and Elliott for interest sake.

Insurance is seemingly 3.5% of value of goods

LidiaS77
5 hours ago, Kayla said:

From what I’ve heard container sharing wasn’t really possible since there aren’t enough people traveling between South Africa and Canada. Have any of you heard differently. We also don’t have nearly enough to warrant a full container. 

We had some of our things shipped over in a shared container with Stuttafords Van Lines. They packed our things in December 2016 and we only received everything in September 2017 because they had to wait for the container to fill up. This was despite my efforts to actively try and find people to share our container. My suggestion would be to perhaps contact people on here and try to fill up one container with all of your things and send it together.

On 1/23/2018 at 7:42 AM, MuggleOnline said:

Can anyone recommend a company to use to just send a couple of boxes?

We haven't used them ourselves, but I know U-bag offers a service such as this.

• Like 1

Kayla

@LidiaS77 wow that’s a crazy long time!! 

Definitely sounds like a good plan to try team up with someone on the forum who is going around a similar time.

On a different note, I see you’re in Victoria! We are going to be in Victoria as soon as our visas come through 😊 

• Like 1

LidiaS77
16 minutes ago, Kayla said:

We are going to be in Victoria as soon as our visas come through 😊 

That's great! I really think it's a wonderful place to live, we are so happy here. You're welcome to ask me if you want to know anything specific or meet for coffee 😊

Kayla

@LidiaS77 thank you so much!!! I really appreciate that!

• Like 1

Lyle
On 2/7/2018 at 6:39 AM, Kayla said:

@LidiaS77 wow that’s a crazy long time!! 

Definitely sounds like a good plan to try team up with someone on the forum who is going around a similar time.

On a different note, I see you’re in Victoria! We are going to be in Victoria as soon as our visas come through 😊 

What is your timeline like? Our flights are booked 1 October and we will be stopping by Vancouver, but settling in Mill Bay so if you are planning to send items we could share a container.

Kayla
15 minutes ago, Lyle said:

What is your timeline like? Our flights are booked 1 October and we will be stopping by Vancouver, but settling in Mill Bay so if you are planning to send items we could share a container.

@Lyle we’re hoping to be leaving in May sometime if our work permits come through.  We’re in Cape Town though. 

Lyle
On 2/8/2018 at 8:40 AM, Kayla said:

@Lyle we’re hoping to be leaving in May sometime if our work permits come through.  We’re in Cape Town though. 

Ah I see so now! All the best with your landing!

Lara1

Hi all, were moving to Toronto end of Feb and flying out 5 March. Has anyone used British international to move ? They were by far the best quote, with Elliott second in line. Oh, and do any of you know if I can pack rooibos tea in the container?

LidiaS77
On 1/14/2019 at 11:27 AM, Lara1 said:

Oh, and do any of you know if I can pack rooibos tea in the container?

You won’t have a problem finding rooibos tea in Canada, it is quite well-known here. It is available in many supermarkets, South African stores and David’s Tea has some yummy ones (plain organic and flavoured rooibos and other high-quality teas), this is one of my favourite shops!

Edited by LidiaS77

sueannejoe

Hi @MuggleOnline, I used a company called Ubag (u-bag.com) to send 6 boxes to Canada. Their service is fantastic and I would highly recommend them. 

Hilmarie

Hi @MuggleOnline

How big were the boxes and, if you don't mind me asking, how much was the total cost for the 6 boxes?

Also, how long did it take for the boxes to reach Canada?

Thank you!

Yvonne Y

Hi,  I'd like to find out if anyone has had a problem at customs with boxes they have packed themselves. i have been advised against it by two removals companies - they say that you can get caught with dutes at customs when your goods come in.  Given that one submits a detailed inventory when entering Canada for the first time, surely it should not be a problem at customs if you've packed and labelled the boxes yourself? I haven't found out if there is much difference in cost if the movers pack or you do your own packing yet, just asking questions at present.

I'd appreciate any feedback in this regard.

Thanks!

LaraDK

@Yvonne Y

I didn't have any problems and I packed a whole bunch of my boxes myself. The moving company I used packed all breakables (kitchen stuff, framed items, etc.) and I packed clothes, miscellaneous items, bedding, etc. myself. I made very detailed spreadsheets, nothing was new (which is where duties would kick in), so I don't see why you would have an issue. They know you are immigrating and are likely bringing in used household goods. 

I err on the side of providing too much information so that they think you are super organised and would have followed all the rules. When a big binder of organised paperwork hits their desk with a thundering crash, they just start stamping all the forms :D

Good luck!

Yvonne Y

Thanks for the reply Lara, that was our plan until the doubts crept in!  It makes perfect sense though to pack one's own with a bit of help on the difficult items.  I appreciate the help.

Thank you.