Naas

Passport

Naas

Hi, I am a first timer user of the forum and have applied for temporary residence/work permit, not sure what the difference is? If anybody can advise please. I have had a passport request on 22 December 2017 and have handed in my passport on 9 January 2018. I see on the forum last year the average turn around time was 14 days with a best case of 7 days and worst case of 21 days on average. Does anybody know  how long it takes now? I need to be in Toronto on 01 February 2018 to start work. 

Edited by Naas
added tag

MaryJane

Work permit allows you to work in Canada. Temporary residence permit allows you to stay in Canada. If you only have a temporary residence permit, you cannot simply start working. You will need a work permit. I’m not 100% but I think when you apply for work permit, the temporary residence permit is also automatically included. Someone can confirm those part.

According to the IRCC website, it currently takes 17 weeks if you apply outside of Canada, South Africa specifically. I’m basing this info on the website.

E4462E07-5332-487F-A395-3808C321A64C.thumb.jpeg.2bfe59e49e080b8570ab177cdb64c080.jpeg

• Like 1

Nelline

Just to clarify, the 17 weeks processing time would be from initial application, not passport request.

• Like 1

Thomas 87

Hi Naas, I was just wondering, if you don't mind me asking, how long was your wait from the initial application to receiving the passport request? I'm waiting on my work permit as well, passed medicals this week, so it would be nice to hear from someone who is almost through the process. Best of luck to you

Rafti

Mine was a little over 5 months to PPR. I’m Mpnp applicant. I’ve also done updates to my immitracker account......

Chayne

Rafti, just curious why your location is Pretoria on here but Zimbabwe on immitracker

MaryJane
19 hours ago, Nelline said:

Just to clarify, the 17 weeks processing time would be from initial application, not passport request.

Yes that is correct.

Sorry, @Naas. Might have been cross eyed when I answered that one, lol.

No, it doesn’t take 17 weeks from PPR to get passports back.

Nelline
3 hours ago, MaryJane said:

Yes that is correct.

Sorry, @Naas. Might have been cross eyed when I answered that one, lol.

No, it doesn’t take 17 weeks from PPR to get passports back.

I knew exactly what you were saying but thought it best to interpret the Yoda speak :P

Naas

Thanks for your replies, I have my passport back in 2 days, handed in on Tuesday this week and collected on Thursday this week, booked the tickets the same day and flying on 30/01 to be in Toronto on 31/01 and start working on 01 Feb. Does this timeline sound feasible? Will one day be enough to get the SIN and open the bank account? What else must be done on day 1?

For those interested in my timeline, bearing in mind I have a transfer from my company in SA who has a branch in Toronto.

Interviews:- Aug 2017

Job Offer:- October 2017

Online application preparation November 2017

Online submission:- 12 December 2017

Approval:- 22 December 2017 [10 days]

Passports:- 2 days

All and all must faster than I expected, I think the inter-co transfer must have made it much easier and faster than what I expected.

• Like 2

Lizelle

Jetlag is a bitch with the long flights. I would not just do one day (actually less that one, since you land on the 31st) to recover and get everything done if I were you.

We were with immigration for a good few hours when we landed. Don't know if it will be different for a WP, but it is something to keep in mind.

Maybe 3 or so would be fine, or at least have the whole of the 1st off, to begin work on the 2nd.

Edited by Lizelle

Nettie
19 hours ago, Naas said:

......... flying on 30/01 to be in Toronto on 31/01 and start working on 01 Feb. Does this timeline sound feasible? Will one day be enough to get the SIN and open the bank account? What else must be done on day 1?.........

The bank account can probably wait but I think your SIN you may need before your first day. Not sure, ask your employer about this. 

This is a very, very tight schedule. 

M-N
22 hours ago, Lizelle said:

Jetlag is a bitch with the long flights. I would not just do one day (actually less that one, since you land on the 31st) to recover and get everything done if I were you.

We were with immigration for a good few hours when we landed. Don't know if it will be different for a WP, but it is something to keep in mind.

Maybe 3 or so would be fine, or at least have the whole of the 1st off, to begin work on the 2nd.

I don't remember us being there too long but we did land at 9pm.  Just expect it to be busy especially in Toronto.  

I also agree with jetlag. My husband was a zombie for days after.  I adjusted fairly quickly because I made myself sleep and wake normal times even if I wasn't tired. He doesn't have that "skill", lol. 

Rafti
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:55 PM, chayne said:

Rafti, just curious why your location is Pretoria on here but Zimbabwe on immitracker

ummmmmmmmmmmm I moved (was in one Country when I became a member of one then another Country when I joined the other group)................ is that bad??????

Chayne

Not at all! Like I said, just curious.

Now you’re going to have to do it all again 😀

Good luck!