Kirsti

Recommended suburbs to live in Toronto area

Jules
3 hours ago, SunshineGirl said:

HI @Jules, now you have me curious..  Which areas in the east seem like good places for you?  Thanks in advance!

I'm not qualified to advise on the east coast. All I know is that places like Halifax in Nova Scotia have very affordable real estate within an hour drive of the downtown. Obviously fewer jobs and probably lower paying ones too but the property prices should offset that. 

I'm also assuming less traffic, less crowded, cleaner air and more unspoilt nature. 

There's a few people on this board who live out east who can comment. 

• Like 1

Nelline
5 hours ago, Jules said:

I'm not qualified to advise on the east coast. All I know is that places like Halifax in Nova Scotia have very affordable real estate within an hour drive of the downtown. Obviously fewer jobs and probably lower paying ones too but the property prices should offset that. 

I'm also assuming less traffic, less crowded, cleaner air and more unspoilt nature. 

There's a few people on this board who live out east who can comment. 

Exactly right. We live out in the country on a 1 acre property and the commute to work is 20 minutes one way by car. I still work remotely for the same company I did in Ottawa, and have office space in C'town but I can work from home as needed, which is a big perk. My husband will usually leave the house at 7:30, wait with our son for the yellow school bus, then travel into work, and he's rarely home after 5:30pm except in the really busy periods (for him, Sep - Dec). In the Summer, the beach is under 10 minutes drive (we can actually SEE the beach from our house but there's a massive bay in between us hence the 10 minute drive) and we enjoy world-class seafood for cheap. We'd NEVER have been able to afford this kind of lifestyle / home in and around Ottawa, where we used to live.

If I had to move to one of the other Maritime Provinces it would be Nova Scotia. Really beautiful and offering more diverse shopping and cultural experiences (museums etc) than PEI.

I always give this advice - make sure you can find employment here first.

• Like 1

SunshineGirl

Thanks, @Jules & @Nelline!  Yes, I did notice the gorgeous properties & landscape of the Maritimes :-).  Just as well that I asked, I assumed that @Jules you were referring to east in the GTA.  Blonde moment on my part!

Jules
On 1/20/2018 at 8:18 AM, SunshineGirl said:

Thanks, @Jules & @Nelline!  Yes, I did notice the gorgeous properties & landscape of the Maritimes :-).  Just as well that I asked, I assumed that @Jules you were referring to east in the GTA.  Blonde moment on my part!

Yup when we say "out east" the person is usually referring to the east coast / Maritime regions. 

• Like 1