Carine

Entrepreneur work permit

Carine

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at the requirements for Express Entry for a while now, unfortunately there's no way we'll have enough points to be eligible.  I'm graduating soon, but I've learned that just a simple BCompt degree won't be enough to ensure we get an ITA.

I'm considering other routes, the main one of course being a work permit.  But apparently you need a job offer first, which will be difficult to obtain since I don't have my qualification yet (and even then, SA qualification in accounting won't land me a job offer...)

I saw this link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-permit-result.asp?q1_options=1k

specifically the entrepreneur part of temporary work permits.  Does anyone have some experience with this route? 

If my husband applies with this option, does it mean that he'll have to be a big business owner in order to qualify?  He is currently self-employed as a sole proprietor, so would they consider an application like that?  Also, if he is eligible for such a permit, will he be able to find a job in Canada with that specific work permit until we are settled and he can start doing the same kind of business as what he did here in SA?  He currently builds RC boats and bait boats, and exports all of it to either USA or Canada.

Also, with the temporary work permit:  will our children be able to attend school with the same benefits as if we were permanent residents?  Same question about Health care.

Will I be able to get an open work permit if my husband gets a temporary permit?

We would really like to reside in the Vancouver area, although a friend of ours advised that starting in Fort St John will be a good idea, apparently there's plenty of work in the oil patch.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

MaryJane

I don’t have experience with the work permit visa you referred to but I can try answer some of your other questions.

For schooling and healthcare, I believe this is a yes. For schooling, your kids may need study permits to be able to attend school depending their age (from primary schooling? Confirmation required).

Schools are free up to high school. (Some schools may levy be a fee but this should be nominal).

For the open work permit, I’d guess yes, if the work permit your hubby gets is similar to the regular employer-specific ones. This is not automatic and you’d have to apply for your open work permit, I believe.

Carine

Thanks for your answer @MaryJane .  My daughter is 5 years old, so I reckon she can start primary school by the time we eventually end up there.  My son is 3 in March, so he'll be at home because apparently creche is very expensive.

So I'll have to apply for 3 permits basically (Entrepreneur, Open & Study)?  The entrepreneur permit is classified as an employer-specific one, so I also understand that I'll be able to get an open work permit.

Specifically if you could help out with this question, that would be great:  If my husband gets that work permit, when we get there and he finds a job (apparently there are plenty in Vancouver if you're not afraid of getting your hands dirty), will an employer be unable to employ him because of the type of work permit (entrepreneur in this case)?

Thanks!

Nelline

Like MaryJane, I'm not familiar with that work permit, but having chatted to someone at the Newcomers Association a couple of months ago, I'd be of the opinion you would NOT be able to use that particular WP to find employment - that stream is for investors starting / buying a business here? I hope someone can clarify

Lizelle

I would also think that you would not be able to do general employment with that visa.  As far as I can tell you will have to buy/start a business here for that visa to work (one of the requirements are that you provide jobs for Canadians)

If you are not dead set on Canada, I would suggest having a look at NZ.  Canada can be really hard to get into if you don't follow the general EE path.  Canadians love entrepreneurs in general Canadian life, but for immigration, that seems to count for very little.

In NZ getting a WP is pretty easy (provided there is a lot of work for your position)(takes about 5 working days to process).  Their economy is booming right now.  They do a lot of fishing, so I would guess that your husband should have no problem getting a job in that field (until such time as he can start a business again if he wants)

They also don't put up the barriers that Canada does for registration, so I would be highly surprised if you have any problems with your accounting qualifications.

If you are seriously set on coming to Canada, you may consider NZ to be a detour to get here.  You will be able to build up more capital, get out of SA, get more experience in a country that Canadians can place on a map. 

It may feel like that will take too long to do it that way, but it seems that general immigration stuff to Canada takes around 2 years.  You could be in NZ in a month of two. 

Anyway, something to think about.

Edited by Lizelle
  • Like 2

corwes

For  an investor or entrepreneur visa you need to have a net worth of $ 1 600 000 and be able to invest $800 000 in Canada. Possible but not for everybody.

Carine

Thank you for everyone's reply. @corwes I'm familiar with the entrepreneur VISA which you are referring to, but I think that one is specifically for immigration.  The link that I posted was specifically for a Work permit.  In the work permit link they refer to the general eligibility requirements being of course that you need to prove that you can support your family for the first few months until you're settled in, and also you must be able to show that you'll create significant employment opportunities with running your business.  What exactly "significant" means;  my guess is that you need to eventually employ at least 10 people or so?  Anyway, I think not being able to work for a Canadian employer under this work permit for the first few months just adds too much risk, so guess we'll also look at the NZ option. 

Otherwise, my husband could try and establish a market before we go and apply for the entrepreneur work permit.

Again, thanks so much for everyone's input.