Cornel

Meeting People in the Same Boat

Cornel

Hi guys

I would really like to meet people who are considering to move or have already started the process.  I think it may help with all the uncertainties and unfamiliarity associated with a move like this.  

Our permanent visa applications should be submitted within the next week according to our agent. 

@Painter lady - I see you also live in Centurion, are you guys still here?  When are you going, how are you feeling etc?

Cornel

Hi guys

I would really like to meet or chat with people who are considering to move or have already started the process or have already landed.  I think it may help with all the uncertainties and unfamiliarity associated with a move like this.  

Our permanent visa applications should be submitted within the next week according to our agent. 

I just want to know how the transitions was, what the reasons are for moving (I want to make sure that we are not just running away but really truly can have better lives in Canada) 

We have good lives here and will take a substantial financial knock and going without a job is scary as hell and then I will probably not be able to work initially as my twins are now barely 7 weeks old.

Would love to hear from someone who has gone through the experience or is going through the same whirlwind of emotions as we are

MaryJane

Hi @Cornel

Welcome to the forums!

I believe there are coffee club meetings regularly in Gauteng.

You are right to reach out to @Painter lady as she is one of the organizer. I think the other one you may want to reach out to is @QueenOfHeartsZA.

I do not know how near they are to their landing dates but I do understand that need to speak to someone who is going through the same things as you.

All the best with your application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cornel

Thank you very much!

Painter lady

Hi @Cornel

I did get your private message and will add you to the group. @QueenOfHeartsZA and myself are running around like headless chickens since we are both leaving this week! I will be landing on the 9th in Calgary and they on the 11th in Toronto. I hope to share a bit once I catch my breath again. It has been the most hectic few weeks of my life!

Cornel

Good luck! Wish we had a chance to chat before you went 

Really happy for you and hope you will be blessed in your journey

SunshineGirl
13 hours ago, Painter lady said:

Hi @Cornel

I did get your private message and will add you to the group. @QueenOfHeartsZA and myself are running around like headless chickens since we are both leaving this week! I will be landing on the 9th in Calgary and they on the 11th in Toronto. I hope to share a bit once I catch my breath again. It has been the most hectic few weeks of my life!

All the best @Painter lady & @QueenOfHeartsZA.  Wishing you & your families the softest landing possible.

• Like 1

Painter lady

Thank you @SunshineGirl :)

• Like 1

ferrmic

Hi @Cornel (and everybody else)

We made the decision to emigrate in April this year. We got our ITA in September, and applied last month. The wait is torture (although it's more the not knowing whether and when we will get our PR).

We're in Joburg. I would be happy to join the next Gauteng coffee club. I still want to go to the Irene Dairy Farm before we leave (hint hint :) ). It will be nice to meet some of our fellow future Canadians and to hear their stories, and share some of ours.

@Painter lady and @QueenOfHeartsZA, congrats and enjoy. You must be so excited. Good luck with your travels.

Regards,

Ferrmic

Edited by ferrmic

Gary van der Westhuizen

@Cornel Hi!

We recently arrived in Canada, more details here:

We have been in Toronto about 2 months, and we are starting to settle into work. What is your definition of a better life? Not worrying about your car that is standing in the road overnight (without a tracker) ? Knowing that your tax money is spent where it is supposed to be spent? Public transport that is safe, reliable and affordable (for the most part)? It is all relative, and it depends on what you hold dear. We are so far, most definitely living a better life. Family being far sucks, sure, and you have your good days and your bad days, but I still think it is worth it, for us, and when we have kids one day, for them most definitely. I saw an article in the week stating something like "SA children are the worst readers in the world." That is not a good place to be. Those are your future leaders/teachers/accountants/artisans/doctors/parents etc. etc. etc.  

It has been said many times, I guess because it is so true. South Africa is like the frog in the pot of water. Eventually the water will boil, and the frog will die. The frog doesn't notice it though because the water heats up over time. People keep on adjusting. Higher walls, scarier dogs, more alarm systems, security estates, private schools, the list goes on.

Financially it isn't easy in the beginning and saving up the proof of funds was hard, but looking back now, it was worth it. Going from a free standing house to living in a basement isn't always fun, but it is temporary. Canada isn't perfect. No place is. It has it's issues, and you need to decide whether you can handle that.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but that is how I feel. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions/would like to continue the conversation.

• Like 3

Odijonk

@Gary van der Westhuizen.. i just want to compliment you on the apologies you write everyime you leave a comment .. real canadian of you... its rubbing off on you 😉.. i enjoy your posts as one can read the truth in what you experience?.. thank you for it.. i am sure like you say in the long run it will be worth it. just take it day by day and when you least expect it a year will have passed... we all need to go through this process and i am sure when i rant and rave... you will send this back to me.. he hee... good luck with your first white Christmas and may you have a good one.... 

• Like 2

Odijonk

@Painter lady.... hope you guys are safe and settling in.... how are you guys... you are keeping us in suspense with no landing updates... 

• Like 1

Painter lady

Hi @Odijonk. So sorry for not updating. Life has been hectic but good :D. I will post something soon. 

• Like 2