ChrisBooth_360

I've been looking for a job in Canada for a while now without any luck. Can anyone suggest any job agencies in Canada for foreigners?

FaithFUL

Are you still in South Africa?

Lizelle

Unless you have the type of skill (on paper) that an employer would be willing to wait months for and do a lot of paperwork for, the chances of you getting a job from South Africa without PR is very unlikely (not impossible, just highly unlikely).

• Like 1

Jules
7 hours ago, Lizelle said:

Unless you have the type of skill (on paper) that an employer would be willing to wait months for and do a lot of paperwork for, the chances of you getting a job from South Africa without PR is very unlikely (not impossible, just highly unlikely).

Correct. In most (not all) employment fields there isn't any skilled labour shortage. I would go as far as to say that there is actually an oversupply of skilled workers in many sectors. All this means that an employer is not going to wait months and months while jumping through lots of immigration hurdles unless the applicant has a skill in very short supply. There aren't many jobs which fall into a legit labour shortage. 

• Like 1

ChrisBooth_360
On 11/29/2017 at 6:28 PM, Lizelle said:

@LizelleI do have a type of skill that is needed in Canada and I have a Masters, but my question is how do I go about getting in touch with a recruitment agency? I need that PR so that I can find the right place to apply for my skill set.

Edited by ChrisBooth_360

ChrisBooth_360
On 11/30/2017 at 2:05 AM, Jules said:

Correct. In most (not all) employment fields there isn't any skilled labour shortage. I would go as far as to say that there is actually an oversupply of skilled workers in many sectors. All this means that an employer is not going to wait months and months while jumping through lots of immigration hurdles unless the applicant has a skill in very short supply. There aren't many jobs which fall into a legit labour shortage. 

@Jules I get that and I know it's difficult, but my question is about recruitment agencies - not about the requirements of getting a job. I have a Masters, but I'm looking for recruitment agencies where employers are specifically looking for foreigners. 

Edited by ChrisBooth_360

ChrisBooth_360
On 11/29/2017 at 5:45 PM, FaithFUL said:

Are you still in South Africa?

@FaithFUL I am currently in South Africa, but I am coming across on a tourist visa early next year.

Jules
55 minutes ago, ChrisBooth_360 said:

@Jules I get that and I know it's difficult, but my question is about recruitment agencies - not about the requirements of getting a job. I have a Masters, but I'm looking for recruitment agencies where employers are specifically looking for foreigners. 

I'm not aware of anyone specifically looking for foreigners. I suppose agencies and enployers are looking for the easiest path although some are open minded about working with people seeking sponsorship. But that usually aligns within industries where there's a supply shortage so they are willing (forced?) to go the extra mile. 

SunshineGirl

@ChrisBooth_360, seeing that your skill-set seems to be unique, perhaps it would be worthwhile applying directly to the Hr dept of companies that would use your skill-set?

Jules
25 minutes ago, SunshineGirl said:

@ChrisBooth_360, seeing that your skill-set seems to be unique, perhaps it would be worthwhile applying directly to the Hr dept of companies that would use your skill-set?

I would do both. Go direct but also reach out to lots of recruiters and emphasize the scarce skills part. Someone should bite. 

• Like 2

Piper

In my personal experience I got more interviews from applying on company websites directly as opposed to using a recruitment agency. 

Good luck with the job hunting!

• Like 1

Ann
15 hours ago, ChrisBooth_360 said:

@Jules I get that and I know it's difficult, but my question is about recruitment agencies - not about the requirements of getting a job. I have a Masters, but I'm looking for recruitment agencies where employers are specifically looking for foreigners

As far as I know there are no recruitment agencies specifically looking for foreigners.  It would actually be against the law.  Only if the employer has not been able to find even one person here, who is able to do the job, are they allowed to bring in a foreign worker.

Having a skill that is in demand is not necessarily the same as having a unique/scarce skill that an employer would be prepared to go through all the red tape to bring in a foreign worker.  There are many people here who have a Master's degree.

Do you not qualify for PR without a job offer?  How many CRS points do you have?

What is your actual goal?   Is it:

a ) specifically come to Canada;

b ) leave South Africa.

If it is b), then as Lizelle has mentioned elsewhere on this forum, perhaps you should consider New Zealand, as apparently it is much simpler/quicker to get a job offer there.

Edited by Ann