Lyle

Options: Comox vs. Mill Bay vs. Osoyoos

Lyle

Hi All,

I am looking for your thoughts and hopefully some experience with the three communities which we may have the opportunity to join. Some background on our family - we love the outdoors, I am passionate about cycling and triathlon and like to compete, we have a young family and we are looking to make the move probably around March 2018. We will have to rank the following communities in order of preference: Comox, Mill Bay and Osoyoos. Of course we will consider other personal factors such as work fulfillment, opportunities and pay, but any first hand experience, thoughts, etc. would really be appreciated!

Thanks so much!

LidiaS77

Comox is small but beautiful, especially the mountains. It has a small-town, rural and farm-like feel in some places. I've visited here a few times and we also did our driver's lessons and licenses in Courtenay. Mill Bay is in a stunning area and amazing if you love the outdoors as it's close to numerous lakes, forests, parks, mountains, islands, Victoria and fairly easy access to Vancouver. It's also small but is closer to a wider variety of places. Driving to Victoria from Comox takes only about 3 hours, so it can be a nice weekend trip as well. I haven't been to Osoyoos. From these I would personally definitely choose Mill Bay, but I should add that I am not a small-town person and for me Victoria (and bigger) is a nice size.

We also lived in Bedfordview for 5 years :-)

Edited by LidiaS77
  • Like 2

Lizelle

Osoyoos is really pretty.  It is pretty small though, and the drive through the mountains to get to a bigger place can take a while.  Osoyoos has a vastly different weather pattern than the other two, so that may be something to consider.  

That said, we only drove through it, so I am by no means an expert.  I have not been to either of the other two.

If I had the choice between those three, all things being equal, I would choose Mill Bay (this is based on weather :) , plus proximity to a bigger place)

• Like 2

LidiaS77

Here are some pictures of various places on Vancouver Island.

• Like 1

Lizelle

Osoyoos is essentially desert.  It gets pretty hot in summer.  

Vancouver Island has some serious rain, but in general you get 3 - 4 months of continual serious rain, and the rest of the year is lovely.  

As a comparison.  Osoyoos yearly rainfall ~ 25 cm.  Comox annual rainfall ~ 118 cm.

Osoyoos Climate 1981 - 2010 http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_1981_2010_e.html?stnID=1043&autofwd=1

Comox Climate 1981 - 2010 http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_1981_2010_e.html?searchType=stnProv&lstProvince=BC&txtCentralLatMin=0&txtCentralLatSec=0&txtCentralLongMin=0&txtCentralLongSec=0&stnID=155&dispBack=0

Mill Bay (I could not find Mill Bay on the choices, so I selected Duncan) 1981 - 2010 http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_normals/results_1981_2010_e.html?searchType=stnProv&lstProvince=BC&txtCentralLatMin=0&txtCentralLatSec=0&txtCentralLongMin=0&txtCentralLongSec=0&stnID=46&dispBack=0

Hover over the rainfall :) 

Osoyoos is colder in the winter, but also much warmer in the summer.

I think it depends on what you like.  Osoyoos has 5000 people.  Penticton is your closest bigger town (33 000) and they are 1 hour away.  I would also suspect that you would get over run with tourists during the summer season.

• Like 3

Cathy K

One of our members has a medical practice in Courtenay-Comox. She explored quite a few places before deciding to settle there and I know her family is very happy.

It is also within spitting distance of Mount Washington, the only ski resort on Vancouver Island.

Edited by Cathy K
  • Like 2

Lyle

Thank you so much for all the contributions above - @LidiaS77, @Lizelle, @Cathy K!

We had the final interview/call with Mill Bay last night and our hearts are set there! We felt really welcomed and believe it is the kind of place which would suit us!

Our primary concern prior to the call was rental availability and property prices - but this is less of a concern now.

Looking forward to things that come!

• Like 2