Sign in to follow this  
ChrisBooth_360

Applying for an open work permit

ChrisBooth_360

So I've been searching all over the Canadian government website trying to find out if it's possible to apply for a temporary open work permit without having a job first. I managed to log in and take a questionnaire, but at the end of the questionnaire, it just told me that I was not eligible to immigrate and that I should look into how to apply for a temporary work permit. And when I clicked on the available link, it just took me straight to the beginning! Does anyone on here know if it's possible to just apply for a temporary work permit without having a job first? And how would I go about that? (The government website has been very difficult to navigate)

P.S. I'm not looking to immigrate to Canada, I would just like to work there for a year or two. And I am currently looking for a job too.

LidiaS77

Hi @ChrisBooth_360

As far as I know in Canada one can only get an open work visa (meaning that you can work at any company) if e.g. one's spouse has a work visa allowing them to work for one company only. Work visas in general are usually tied to a specific job, company, period of time only or for specific groups of people e.g, refugees, young adults, entrepreneurs etc. Here is a list of people who qualify for open Canadian work visas on the official CIC website.

If you have the funds, are willing to wait a few months, meet the criteria and score enought points you can apply for Permanent Residence through Express Entry. This will allow you to live and work in Canada freely with the same rights as a Canadian citizen (there are some exceptions such as not being allowed to vote in elections and of course you can't get a Canadian passport without being a citizen). Even if it is not your intention to immigrate permanently now you might change your mind later and then you might benefit from getting a Canadian passport after being present in Canada for 3 years and applying for citizenship (there are certain rules that apply).

The chance is always there of finding a job from SA, but if your skills are not in high demand you might find that potential employers won't consider you if you are not legally allowed to work in Canada e.g. having Permanent Residence.

Edited by LidiaS77
  • Like 2

Nelline

Yes. What @LidiaS77 said

OWP's are only available to the spouse / partner of a person holding a valid WP (linked to a specific employer with LMIA etc) or the spouse of a Study Permit holder.

ChrisBooth_360

@LidiaS77 Thank you! I was looking for a page like that all over the official CIC website. Unfortunately, I do not meet those requirements - so I guess I'll keep trying to find a job in Canada. Thanks a lot for the help.