Sign in to follow this  
Ross

Job market - .Net web developers

Ross

Hi all

I am planning on going to Canada in early March 2018 on my own to look for work as a .Net developer. I have 8 years experience in HTML, various JavaScript libraries as well as ASP.NET MVC, SQL and C#.

What is the job market like for software developers? Sure, we are on the skills list and there's supposed to be a shortage but then there's stories of people looking for work for months. Is it true that I can expect to have to take a position "below" my level of experience?

Also, I assume there is not such a large demand that it's possible to secure a job before I leave SA?

At the end of the day this is about my family's future so I am preparing to have to make sacrifices.

Thanks

Ross

graciax452

My take is that you will not have it too hard, IF you do the homework

• make sure your resume is on point as as they want it, not as you think it should be,
  • tap into the hidden job market, learn to cold call and cold email
  • work on your interview skills and soft skills as they seem to judge these more, technical skills can always be taught,
  • be articulate
  • customise your resume per application and the world is your oyster.

You have relevant experience and those technologies are the same the world over. If you have time do SOPA it takes a ton of time but has tips and tricks to get you going. Toronto would be your main IT area and if you speak french then Montreal as well

Read this article, I agree with it. My 2c

Why do so many skilled immigrants complain that they do not get jobs in Canada? by Connel Valentine  https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-skilled-immigrants-complain-that-they-do-not-get-jobs-in-Canada/answer/Connel-Valentine?share=bd8e8550&srid=e1Kg

• Like 2

graciax452

Victoria is also a budding tech hub

• Like 2

Ross
18 hours ago, graciax452 said:

Victoria is also a budding tech hub

Thanks for all the advice. I have noticed that interpersonal skills seem to matter much more in Canada than in SA. SA always seems to be about the technical skills of a candidate.