Sign in to follow this  
Ross

Taking a driver's test

Ross

Hi all

When taking a driver's test, do you need your own vehicle? I was hoping to do the test while on my job hunt and wouldn't have my own car for a while. 

Could I do my test in a rental car?

Is there anybody who would like to share their knowledge?

Thanks

Ross

Annasofe13

We will be doing our driving test in the driving school's car, we paid for 4 hours of use of the car, so 3 lessons(one hour) and then on the day of the test another hour. 

• Like 5

MaryJane

I did my test on a rental car.

• Like 1

Ribsy

Depends where you'll be doing your test and the driving school used, if any.  Remember that you have to complete your Driver's Knowledge test first and then schedule your Driver's test thereafter.  Also important to remember your RMTC letter from South Africa prior to leaving as this grants you some driving experience for both the test and insurance premium purposes. 

Any car can be used as long as it's in roadworthy condition. 

I suggest one or two lessons to get used to driving on the opposite side of the road, getting familiar with your parking distances and some of the Canadian driving nuances like getting onto the highway at 100km/h. 

Personally, I used a private learning school, paid for the lesson and use of his car for the test. 

• Like 2

sueannejoe

@MaryJane and @Ribsy please kindly provide guidance on the difference between the G2 and the G test, if any? Which one do I book?

I wrote and passed my knowledge test two weeks ago, and now need to book my driving test after going for lessons. 

I handed my RTMC letter to the Drive Test Centre when I wrote my G1.

• Like 1

MaryJane

There are a couple of difference between G2 and G but the main ones are:

- If you're on a G2, you can drive but with zero blood alcohol level. On G, you can drive with blood alcohol level of no more than 0.08

- G2 tests your basic driving skills (turning, stopping, parking, etc.). G tests advanced skills (highway driving, parallel parking, etc.)

If you decide to go for your G from passing G1, just beware that the option to take this is a one-time deal. If you fail your G test, you can retake almost immediately but will only be able to do the G2.

To avoid confusion ^_^ :

The G2 licence test is also referred to the G1 road test. The G licence test is also referred to G2 road test.

So if you are taking the test, just tell them "I am going for my G (or G2 if that is what you're doing)."

• Like 2

sueannejoe

Thank you so much @MaryJane for the clarification. :D

Sharma

About the rental cars.

From what I understand, the insurance that the rental companies provide are only for the car. Not third party (known as liability insurance in Canada). And you can lose your house due to liability suits.

Can anyone advice how to go about getting liability insurance.

Thanks

sueannejoe

Can anyone advise on whether it's worth it to take an advanced driver's course here in Canada to lower my insurance payment when I do eventually buy a car?

If so, which are the best insurance companies here in Ontario?

Ross
On 11/13/2017 at 6:01 PM, Ribsy said:

Depends where you'll be doing your test and the driving school used, if any.  Remember that you have to complete your Driver's Knowledge test first and then schedule your Driver's test thereafter.  Also important to remember your RMTC letter from South Africa prior to leaving as this grants you some driving experience for both the test and insurance premium purposes. 

Any car can be used as long as it's in roadworthy condition. 

I suggest one or two lessons to get used to driving on the opposite side of the road, getting familiar with your parking distances and some of the Canadian driving nuances like getting onto the highway at 100km/h. 

Personally, I used a private learning school, paid for the lesson and use of his car for the test. 

@Ribsy, thanks for the useful info as always :). How do I go about getting an RMTC letter in SA? What needs to be included on the letter?

Thanks

Ross

MaryJane

@Ross

You’ll likely need to provide them with your ID.

The letter must be:

a. on official letterhead

b. written in English

c. contains driver's history information like date first licenced, licence expiry date, class of licence, validity, etc.

When you get the letter back, you must check that these information are correct.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

M-N

I used the instructor's car.  Some registries will allow you to "rent" a car from them. 

Also, I recommend doing a refresher course through a driving school after writing your knowledge test.  I learnt a lot from them.  

• Like 1

Ross
3 hours ago, M-N said:

I used the instructor's car.  Some registries will allow you to "rent" a car from them. 

Also, I recommend doing a refresher course through a driving school after writing your knowledge test.  I learnt a lot from them.  

Thanks @M-N. I see you are in Calgary, what is it like living there? What type of work do you do?

M-N
14 hours ago, Ross said:

Thanks @M-N. I see you are in Calgary, what is it like living there? What type of work do you do?

I love Calgary.  It's very diverse and beautiful. City/ country living ( think Bloemfontein).  We have the mountains an hours drive away (I can see it from our neighbourhood).  Lots of parks and open spaces within the city.  

I'm in IT, currently on Mat leave but I'm a user support technician for an accounting software firm.

Alberta is currently going through a bit of a recession so jobs are scarce but it also depends on your field.  If you can get a job here then I'd recommend it. 

Plus, bonus is the property is more affordable here than other big cities.  Still expensive but definitely more affordable in comparison.  

Andrea Human

Hi M-N,

We land 16 Jan. Please guide me. I need a bit of advice and surity. 

We got our RCMT letters.  My question is two-fold.   

1. Is it necessary at all for us to get International Drivers Licenses from the AA?

2. With 23 years experience in driving, would you be required to definately do the driving test over there again?  I understand that the written is a must by all means, but the actual driver's test?

MaryJane

I'm afraid the answer to #2 is yes. I know that if you have a UK drivers licence, you can convert this, but not a SA one.

• Like 2

Piper

In Québec I bought a car prior to having a Canadian driver’s test and then I was exempted from doing the physical test. 🤪 

GerdaT
24 minutes ago, Piper said:

In Québec I bought a car prior to having a Canadian driver’s test and then I was exempted from doing the physical test. 🤪 

Not sure how you managed that @Piper. We also manged to buy a car with our international drivers licenses, but they are only valid for 6 months. We need to do both the knowledge and driving test within 6 months (of our International drivers license issue date), otherwise our insurance wont cover us anymore.

• Like 1

Slippers

Hi all, any recommendation on a good driving school from those in Calgary?

Deirdre

Hi @GerdaT

The 6 x months changed to 3 x months now 😢

Kitcat
On 12/27/2020 at 5:51 PM, Slippers said:

Hi all, any recommendation on a good driving school from those in Calgary?

We used cloverleaf driving school - based in the SW. my husband and I both passed first time. Try to have your lessons in the area in which you will be taking the test. It helps to be familiar with the routes.