Sign in to follow this  
Piper

Jobs from SA - Pros and Cons

Piper

Hi All

To summarize a long story; I got PR and then subsequently a job from SA prior to coming to Canada. Not even 3 months later and I was suddenly "good enough" with my now "Canadian experience" that a more prestigious (yet competitor!) company contacted me out of the blue for an interview. I ended up going to the interview (I wasn't 100% happy with my current job and the turn-over in terms of people leaving was insane), doing their tests and was made a great offer. I thought about declining the offer due to not "job hopping", but then this morning I suddenly realized that it will be too big a career shot too lose. I subsequently resigned my current job and confirmed with my new employer that I will be starting there within the next 2 weeks. (Wow! It goes quick here in Canada!)

My perspective: obtaining employment from SA is great BUT once you are here more companies are willing to interview you and there are thus suddenly more opportunities. As always; there are pro's and cons to anything in life. The cons of coming with employment is that you are not 100% sure of what you are getting yourself into. As mentioned; I was not 100% happy with my current employer and felt that certain things were lacking. (It will be industry-specific so unfortunately adding details will be nonsensical.) This is something that is not often discussed here. This is also the reason my husband refused to immigrate to a country where our jobs are tied to our employers. It is definitely something to consider for those in the process of immigrating to any country.

What are people's experiences and thoughts on company loyalty in Canada?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

MaryJane

I would tend to agree that the first Canadian job is not always the ideal one in most people’s cases.

Some are lucky enough to get into a good company first time but others go through a second (and sometimes third).

For me, loyalty is more than just not leaving the company. It works both ways. I would like to think that if a company is loyal to me, they would make sure that they treat me right so that I am not tempted to leave them.

Congnratulations on the new job, @Piper! All the best.

• Like 2

Piper

Thanks @MaryJane! Hopefully second (and not third!) time lucky, eh! 

• Like 1

Nelline

We landed on WP's and my husband was very unhappy, and being taken advantage of. Expected to work 14-16 hour days. You know the old adage " you're on a WP we have you by the short and curlies"

So we applied for other jobs and found a fabulous one at the other end of the country, needed a new WP and jumped through all those hoops again. But hubby told me that this was the LAST time we do it on WP's and we got PR as quickly as possible after that.

• Like 2

Jules

There is no such thing as employer loyalty here. Trust me when I say this: if your employer wants to cut your job they will do it fast and ruthless.  In my opinion (and at the risk of over generalising) Canadian employers are more hard nosed than SA employers. That means that your employer has no loyalty towards you.

• Like 2

Piper
16 minutes ago, Jules said:

There is no such thing as employer loyalty here. Trust me when I say this: if your employer wants to cut your job they will do it fast and ruthless.  In my opinion (and at the risk of over generalising) Canadian employers are more hard nosed than SA employers. That means that your employer has no loyalty towards you.

This made my day!

Piper
5 hours ago, Nelline said:

We landed on WP's and my husband was very unhappy, and being taken advantage of. Expected to work 14-16 hour days. You know the old adage " you're on a WP we have you by the short and curlies"

So we applied for other jobs and found a fabulous one at the other end of the country, needed a new WP and jumped through all those hoops again. But hubby told me that this was the LAST time we do it on WP's and we got PR as quickly as possible after that.

Sorry to hear this @Nelline. At least you and yours are now happy and fully settled into Canadian life.

It might be frowned upon that I was only at a company for 3 months, but at the same time I’m leaving for another job ... it’s been a tough post-immigration life event and I wish that others who are immigrating learn from this. If possible do not be shackled to any employer.... ever.... the more options you have the better. 

SunshineGirl
3 hours ago, Piper said:

If possible do not be shackled to any employer.... ever.... the more options you have the better. 

@Piper, if I might add to this...  whether a WP or that first Canadian job to obtain that "Canadian experience", it's all about who needs who more in the employer - employee relationship.  When there is an imbalance, the opportunity for abuse presents itself.  Congrats on evening out things out & wishing you much happiness in your new job.  :-)

• Like 2

Piper
7 hours ago, SunshineGirl said:

@Piper, if I might add to this...  whether a WP or that first Canadian job to obtain that "Canadian experience", it's all about who needs who more in the employer - employee relationship.  When there is an imbalance, the opportunity for abuse presents itself.  Congrats on evening out things out & wishing you much happiness in your new job.  :-)

Thanks so much for your kind words! I’ve taken tremendous risks in my life. Not all have panned out, but in hindsight each has set me up for where I am today. I have a lot to be grateful for!

• Like 1

MissFrowz

Congrats on the job offer, Piper! I hope that your new job is more in line with what you need out of your career.

In my experience, I would say where I work, there is no employee loyalty. My employer hasn't laid anyone off in the 3.5 years I've worked here, but rather, we have a relatively high turnover rate. Like you, I'm also concerned about job hopping and always told myself I would work 5-8 years with my current employer before moving on. But a new opportunity presented itself, and I recently gave notice as well. I was surprised at how quickly and informally things happened. My manager was away at the time, so I had to inform HR. They just gave me instructions on the last things I need to get done in the next two week and that was that. When my manager came back, she just expressed how sad she was about my departure, but by the next day, she was already looking at other potential candidates to replace me! Lol!

All the best with your new job! When do you start?

• Like 2

sueannejoe

Congratulations @Piper on your job offer. I am sure you will love it at your new employer.

Thank you @Jules and @MissFrowz for sharing your insight into employer loyalty. 

• Like 2

Piper
1 hour ago, MissFrowz said:

Congrats on the job offer, Piper! I hope that your new job is more in line with what you need out of your career.

In my experience, I would say where I work, there is no employee loyalty. My employer hasn't laid anyone off in the 3.5 years I've worked here, but rather, we have a relatively high turnover rate. Like you, I'm also concerned about job hopping and always told myself I would work 5-8 years with my current employer before moving on. But a new opportunity presented itself, and I recently gave notice as well. I was surprised at how quickly and informally things happened. My manager was away at the time, so I had to inform HR. They just gave me instructions on the last things I need to get done in the next two week and that was that. When my manager came back, she just expressed how sad she was about my departure, but by the next day, she was already looking at other potential candidates to replace me! Lol!

All the best with your new job! When do you start?

Thanks so much!

I’m starting on 20 November and I’m very excited! 🤗

Edited by Piper
  • Like 1

Freddy

I will add that even if things don't work out to see it as an experience that will count for something in the future. I was in a similar situation when we first moved to Canada, with job and PR in hand. Moved from one employer to another one within a year of landing (of course more money and promotion) but got fired within 6 months of starting the new one (Needless to say that it was like my life came crumbling down because it was the first in my over 20 years of work life that such thing will happen to me).

But in retrospect today I'm grateful that I got fired from that job otherwise I won't be where I am today (I have moved from entry level to senior management position, managing teams across the globe). All the best on your new job.

• Like 3

Piper

Thanks @Freddy! I appreciate your honesty. I will just have to make this new job work! 🙂 Life is unpredictable as a year ago I didn’t even know that I’d be living in Montréal! 

• Like 1

Jules

Canadian employers and employees generally have a more "cordial" relationship compared to what you get in SA. Very little loyalty. And the thing new immigrants here need to understand 100% is not to equate your relationship with your immediate boss to = the same as your relationship with the company. Not the same!

You can have an amazing relationship with your boss but the company still views you as very replaceable. And when companies do a reorg, the supervisors get little to no say into who gets cut. Hence the reason why I've been saying for years that one shouldn't be loyal to an employer. In fact I just experienced this myself first hand - the bank I work at is going through (yet another) restructuring and my job is getting eliminated. I report to a Vice President and she fought tooth and nail to retain my role but she failed. She actually looks more upset than me. I've never confused my loyalty to her  versus my loyalty to the company and at the end of the day it is the company that pays the salary and not your boss (unless you work for a small business). It's why I would have left in a nano second previously if the right job presented itself. 

SAns working in Canada need to shift their mindset on employer - employee relations and loyalty.  It is very different here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Piper

Thanks @Jules. I feel a bit guilty for ditching my employer so quickly but it’s the best thing for both my career and my family.   I guess I still have that “loyalty” as I felt they gave me a shot. It’s water under the bridge now. We would like to start a family soon and every little benefit counts at this point in our lives. 

Edited by Piper
  • Like 2