WilcoOpperman

Dogs import requirements - Canadian side

WilcoOpperman

Hi all, I hope someone can help me regarding this, we are flying in the beginning of December and need to find out what the clearing and customs requirements in Canada will be, we have two Dachshunds that will also be flying on almost the same date and they will be flying with KLM. I only need some information regarding if they need to be registered in Canada before they can enter or what the process is as when I read I see a lot of contrasting info and it is currently confusing me.

Any assistance in this regard will be helpful.  

Nelline

You do not need to "register" them in advance. When you land, as SA is not a rabies free country, the following will be needed:

Dogs over 8 months of age and cats over 3 months of age entering Canada:

• A valid rabies vaccination certificate issued, in either English or French, by a licensed veterinarian from the country of origin. (EU Pet Passport is accepted.) There is no waiting period after the vaccination is administered. Canada does recognize the three year rabies vaccination. Please note that if a validity date does not appear on the certificate, then it will be considered a one year vaccine. Best idea is to obtain this from the State Vet
  •  Your airline may require a veterinary certificate of health. This can be obtained from your usual vet and should be issued shortly ( a few days) before travel

That's it! You don't need to microchip, either, but it is always a good idea.
  • Like 1

K&U

@Nelline - just to double check: so one should go to the state vet? Somehow nissed that somewhere...

Nelline
20 minutes ago, K&U said:

@Nelline - just to double check: so one should go to the state vet? Somehow nissed that somewhere...

The import requirements do not state you should go to the State Vet, however, they just have more "official looking" stamps and paperwork apparently which could help. When using an agent they advise it as well. When I took my own two out of SA (ages ago) I also erred on the side of caution and went to the State Vet

• Like 1

K&U

Thanks @Nelline! Thats what I thought! Ratger safe than sorry!

SunshineGirl

@WilcoOpperman, hi!  Just a quick question re transporting your fur-babies in December.  Will your fur-babies be flying KLM by any chance?  The reason for asking is that KLM do not accept pets on their flights during the colder months in the year (Dec - March, I think?).  If you haven't already done so, maybe have a look into it?  

Tanya Kruger
On 11/2/2017 at 10:06 AM, SunshineGirl said:

@WilcoOpperman, hi!  Just a quick question re transporting your fur-babies in December.  Will your fur-babies be flying KLM by any chance?  The reason for asking is that KLM do not accept pets on their flights during the colder months in the year (Dec - March, I think?).  If you haven't already done so, maybe have a look into it?  

Hi I was wondering the same, we had to move our flights to April as pets do not fly from November to April?

How does one find a State Vet?

Any tips on trying to do this whole process by yourself?

SunshineGirl

HI @Tanya Kruger@Mheynes456 is the expert here ;-)  Still a long way from this stage of the process, I'm afraid :-(.

Mheynes456

Hi @Tanya Kruger - there are 6 state vets in Cape Town apparently. The closest one to me would be the Milnerton branch. You would first need to take your dog to your local vet to get checked out. Then you would take that form signed by your local vet to the state vet's office and they will stamp and sign it. It costs R130 per application.

Here are some links to the websites and forms:

http://www.elsenburg.com/services-and-programmes/veterinary-services-0#s=Export-Control&d=Office-names-locations-contact-details-and-availability-for-certification

http://www.elsenburg.com/sites/default/files/attachments/2015-10-27/VHC General Live animals 07.2013_0.pdf

http://www.elsenburg.com/sites/default/files/attachments/2017-05-12/Infosheet Canada dogs and cats.pdf

And this can only be done no earlier than 14 days before you leave.

Edited by Mheynes456
  • Like 1

K&U
On 11/2/2017 at 10:06 AM, SunshineGirl said:

The reason for asking is that KLM do not accept pets on their flights during the colder months in the year (Dec - March, I think?)

We have decided to go with PetPort. I asked them about this a little while ago, and they indicated that they fly pets at any time of the year and the winter months do not make a difference to them. They use either Lufthansa or KLM

• Like 1

BronwynLT

Hi Guys

Have any of you emigrated yet and flown your dogs over? we are looking to go April / May and i am STRESSING about my staffie girl, would really appreciate feedback re which company you used??

Thanks!

Bron

Mheynes456

@BronwynLT we are also leaving on 22nd April with our 4 dogs. Don't worry, Imy also freaking out a bit. We have already bought their crates so they are getting used to those for now. We will be doing it ourselves through klm. I have been reading blogs on the actual process and logistics at the airport but still stressing. 

• Like 2

Kayla

Where did you get your crates from?

Tanya Kruger

Quick question, we are flying at the end of April, and need to start finalizing the "kiddies"... Do you think that if you try and do the booking yourself through KLM, that you need to e flying with them as well?  

Thing is KLM's tickets are almost double the price of Emirate's ticket prices, and so I might have to give in and not fly with the dogs.

If they dont allow me to do it myself if I am not flying with them, then I will have to use Petport

Kayla

@Tanya Kruger if you are flying them as extra baggage then you have to be on the same flight as them. If you are flying them as cargo then you can go on any flight. 

I got a fairly good quote from Animal Travel Services. They fly the dogs on KLM, they have an overnight stop in Amsterdam where they get walked. And then they do the final flight to Canada. I think with such a very long flight they really need that break. 

If you’re flying without your dogs, I’ve heard very good things about Turkish Airlines. The visa is free for Turkey. For 2 adults and 2 kids it worked out at R30 000 for a one way flight to Vancouver. Which seems good. 

Tanya Kruger

Is KLM the only company that does the pets? I remember someone saying they used another airline company and you can check online where your pet is, etc. 

Is there a specific reason they do not give pets something to calm them down? I think what really is stressing me out is that they will not get the dogs back into the crates when they need to go for their last leg of the trip? 

Thats why I want to fly with them but KLM's tickets are double the price of Emirates and we are 2 people so it will cost us an additional R17k (8k per person) to use KLM instead of flying seperately