bezzy

work permit questions

bezzy

Hello all ,

Long time stalker, first time poster :)

I am planning to enter Canada with a work permit and apply for PR once there , 

The company that has offered me a job has already been issued with an LMIA for the offer and I am now doing the application for visas.

I have a few queries regarding the required documents before I submit my application.

I have tried contacting VFS as well as CIC and nobody seems to be at their phones when I call :)

So here’s hoping that somebody here has experienced something similar. 

The rundown:

We are a family of 4 ( Myself, wife , daughter : 10 and son : 8 ) 
We are going to Ontario ( Specifically around, but not in, Toronto )
My wife wants to work in Canada
My kids need to go to school 
The LMIA is for 3 years

The Confusion (There’s so much of it):

For my application I need a Employment reference letter 
Can I use payslips to confirm my current position or must this be an actual letter from my employer ?
For my wife’s application 
Purpose of travel 
Can I write a letter stating that she is accompanying me for the duration of the LMIA and that she would like to contribute during that time ?
For the kids
Should I be applying for a visitor’s visa ( there seems to be much debate about this ? )

Thank you so very much for all the incredibly useful information that this forum has made available already.

Nelline

Welcome!

Preferably a letter from employer with the relevant details as stipulated
Your Wifey must apply for an OWP at point of entry so she can apply for jobs
Kids (as they are school going age) it would be safer to apply for study permits and not just visitor's visas. They need visitor's visas too, btw
Yes, you'd need a visitor's visa too, I believe (please someone correct me  - we came over on UK passports with WP's so didn't need the Visitor's Visas but I believe on SA passports you need those too?)

M-N
6 hours ago, bezzy said:

Hello all ,

Long time stalker, first time poster :)

I am planning to enter Canada with a work permit and apply for PR once there , 

The company that has offered me a job has already been issued with an LMIA for the offer and I am now doing the application for visas.

I have a few queries regarding the required documents before I submit my application.

I have tried contacting VFS as well as CIC and nobody seems to be at their phones when I call :)

So here’s hoping that somebody here has experienced something similar. 

The rundown:

We are a family of 4 ( Myself, wife , daughter : 10 and son : 8 ) 
We are going to Ontario ( Specifically around, but not in, Toronto )
My wife wants to work in Canada
My kids need to go to school 
The LMIA is for 3 years

The Confusion (There’s so much of it):

Can I use payslips to confirm my current position or must this be an actual letter from my employer ?
Purpose of travel 
Can I write a letter stating that she is accompanying me for the duration of the LMIA and that she would like to contribute during that time ?
For the kids
Should I be applying for a visitor’s visa ( there seems to be much debate about this ? )

Thank you so very much for all the incredibly useful information that this forum has made available already.

Letter of employment will be your job offer from the company you'll be working for in Canada.  

As for your wife and kids. We applied for a OWP for my husband the same time we applied for my work permit.  You can do the same for study visas for the kids.  So purpose of travel would be to work and study for them.  

When you get your passports back you'll have your work permits, study visas and travel visas for all family members) can't remember if this is separate).  

MuggleOnline

@bezzy your passport will contain a temporary residents visa (with the type being work) and then your work permit will be issued when you enter the country. I had to write a letter stating that I would also like to apply for an open work permit linked to my husbands (who was the main applicant for the work visa applicant) visa. Your spouse's work visa will be valid for the same length of time as your visa. We supplied an employment offer from the employer in Canada.

If I remember correctly when we applied for our we also had to provide evidence that we would be returning, as the work permit is for a fixed period of time.

bezzy

Thank you all for the feedback , I will go ahead with the application with your guidance, I will let you know how it goes.

bezzy

Feedback : Applications were all approved.  - Thanks to all the valuable information on this great forum.

What I went with on my queries :  ( Hopefully this will help someone else in the future )

- I provided my letter of appointment and my 3 most recent payslips

Purpose of travel 

- I provided a letter : 

To whom it may concern I am applying for an open work permit in Canada on account of the fact that my husband is applying for a LMIA based work permit.

We have not purchased our return tickets at this stage. As we would like to get the visas before purchasing tickets.

I would like to make a contribution to society while we are based in Canada, we have no intention of overstaying our welcome in Canada and when we are due to return, we will do so.

Please see below for an extract from the LMIA, this contains details of his job and timelines, I am able to submit additional information at your request.

[ added a copy of my approved LMIA]

I trust this is all in order, should you require any addition information, I will forward it as soon as requested.

Kind regards

For the kids

- I went with a visitor's visa according to CIC's website they can go to school on this : http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/minors-documents.asp ( see quote below )

alone or with a parent who is a temporary resident and has a study or work permit Child’s passport or child listed on the parent’s passport. The child may have a visitor record. The parent has a study or work permit.Footnote1 No

Footnote 1 :"

The child may have either a visitor record or a study permit when entering Canada. The child is authorized to study without a study permit if he or she has only the visitor record or a Canadian entry stamp on his or her passport.

Hopefully this can help someone in the future.

• Like 1

EPONA

Thank you!! How long would one wait for Work permit to be approved or denied?

bezzy

Hello Epona, 

I went through the "Global Talent Stream" it  is relatively new route that is designed for fast tracking applications.

It took exactly 2 weeks ( after on-line submission - we also had our medicals done before we submitted ) for our applications. 

I am not sure how long the other streams would take.

in order to go the Global Talent Stream route, you need to have the company do the LMIA via this route.

The LMIA also took around 2 weeks after submission

Edited by bezzy
adding some more information
  • Like 1