sueannejoe

My landing story

sueannejoe

So now that I have a bit of time, I thought I'd share my landing story. I left Johannesburg on Tuesday 17 October in the evening. I flew Joburg - Munich - Dublin - Toronto. The flights were pretty uneventful until I transferred in Dublin.They nearly never let me on the plane from Dublin because the agent did not understand the immigrant sticker in my SA passport as well as the fact that I happened to have a visitor's visa for Canada as well. They even asked to see my confirmation of PR letter. Luckily this agent showed it to his colleague who at least knew what was going on.

Anyway, I landed in Toronto on Wednesday 18 October at 14:45, and stood in the passport control queue. I explained to the agent I am a newly landed PR. Everyone was super nice. I was then asked to go to the immigration office where I had to give my Canada address, and show my confirmation of PR letter. They kept the one with the photograph on it. I was then asked to collect some pamphlets and brochures about being a newcomer to Canada from another desk, then proceeded to get my SIN number. Once my SIN number was done, I went downstairs to the luggage carousel to collect my luggage. On the way out, I went to the customs desk. I handed the customs official both my "goods to follow" and "goods accompanying" lists. He then retyped it onto a different sheet and did ask for clarification on what "woman's accessories" meant, so I explained it was my non-valuable jewelry and hair accessories etc. He then kept the lists I gave to him, and gave me his retyped lists with all the stamps on it. He told me to show those documents when my shipment arrives.

All in all the whole process from landing to exiting the airport took an hour and a bit as it was very quiet. The process that took the longest was being at the customs desk.

On Thursday I went to RBC Bank to officially activate my bank account. I had opened it from SA, so this was just to go and do the process to collect my cards etc. I was asked to go back the following day. The one thing I noticed is that this country is so great with service. People are super helpful.

On Friday I went to Services Ontario to register for my health card, but they needed a mailed copy of my proof of address. They did not accept the printout from RBC Bank, so as soon as RBC sends my first statement via mail, I will use that and go back to register for my health card. The lady at Services Ontario who helped me said it does not matter when I register because they look at the date I landed and 3 months from that date I will be eligible to use the service (once I am registered obviously).

Friday was also the day I signed up for a sim card. My boyfriend and I went to all the network providers and collected their brochures. We then did a price comparison. Because I only needed a sim card, the best deal for me was with Virgin Mobile (which piggybacks off the Bell network). I am paying $65 per month for unlimited incoming and outgoing calls, and 2GB of data per month.

I received notification from U-Bag that my boxes had arrived in Toronto. My boyfriend drove me to Pearson Airport yesterday to go and collect it. We went to the cargo section to collect the documents, then had to go to the customs area to clear it, then went back to the cargo area to collect my boxes.

In terms of emotional well-being, it has been a little bit difficult these last few days. I am not missing South Africa per se, but I am missing the familiarity of SA and family/friends. I know it will get better because I have a super strong support system here in Toronto. 

Edited by sueannejoe
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

MuggleOnline

Thanks so much for sharing your story, really appreciate hearing all the landing stories. Are you enjoying Toronto so far?

• Like 1

sueannejoe

Hi @MuggleOnline yeah Toronto is such an amazing cosmopolitan city.

• Like 1

Carol_M

Thank you for sharing your story. All the best with the journey ahead.

• Like 1

MuggleOnline

@sueannejoe that is great to hear, we are planning on landing there - fingers crossed for Jan 2018 for us. Would love to hear updates on your experiences etc in the coming months :) Enjoy it!

• Like 1

Kavn

Hi, thank you for sharing! I am going to come to Toronto in January to activate PR, our big move will be at the end of March.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Christelle
On 10/24/2017 at 7:02 PM, sueannejoe said:

So now that I have a bit of time, I thought I'd share my landing story. I left Johannesburg on Tuesday 17 October in the evening. I flew Joburg - Munich - Dublin - Toronto. The flights were pretty uneventful until I transferred in Dublin.They nearly never let me on the plane from Dublin because the agent did not understand the immigrant sticker in my SA passport as well as the fact that I happened to have a visitor's visa for Canada as well. They even asked to see my confirmation of PR letter. Luckily this agent showed it to his colleague who at least knew what was going on.

Anyway, I landed in Toronto on Wednesday 18 October at 14:45, and stood in the passport control queue. I explained to the agent I am a newly landed PR. Everyone was super nice. I was then asked to go to the immigration office where I had to give my Canada address, and show my confirmation of PR letter. They kept the one with the photograph on it. I was then asked to collect some pamphlets and brochures about being a newcomer to Canada from another desk, then proceeded to get my SIN number. Once my SIN number was done, I went downstairs to the luggage carousel to collect my luggage. On the way out, I went to the customs desk. I handed the customs official both my "goods to follow" and "goods accompanying" lists. He then retyped it onto a different sheet and did ask for clarification on what "woman's accessories" meant, so I explained it was my non-valuable jewelry and hair accessories etc. He then kept the lists I gave to him, and gave me his retyped lists with all the stamps on it. He told me to show those documents when my shipment arrives.

All in all the whole process from landing to exiting the airport took an hour and a bit as it was very quiet. The process that took the longest was being at the customs desk.

On Thursday I went to RBC Bank to officially activate my bank account. I had opened it from SA, so this was just to go and do the process to collect my cards etc. I was asked to go back the following day. The one thing I noticed is that this country is so great with service. People are super helpful.

On Friday I went to Services Ontario to register for my health card, but they needed a mailed copy of my proof of address. They did not accept the printout from RBC Bank, so as soon as RBC sends my first statement via mail, I will use that and go back to register for my health card. The lady at Services Ontario who helped me said it does not matter when I register because they look at the date I landed and 3 months from that date I will be eligible to use the service (once I am registered obviously).

Friday was also the day I signed up for a sim card. My boyfriend and I went to all the network providers and collected their brochures. We then did a price comparison. Because I only needed a sim card, the best deal for me was with Virgin Mobile (which piggybacks off the Bell network). I am paying $65 per month for unlimited incoming and outgoing calls, and 2GB of data per month.

I received notification from U-Bag that my boxes had arrived in Toronto. My boyfriend drove me to Pearson Airport yesterday to go and collect it. We went to the cargo section to collect the documents, then had to go to the customs area to clear it, then went back to the cargo area to collect my boxes.

In terms of emotional well-being, it has been a little bit difficult these last few days. I am not missing South Africa per se, but I am missing the familiarity of SA and family/friends. I know it will get better because I have a super strong support system here in Toronto. 

Thank you so much gor sharing your story. 

It seems as if you’ve executed what we’ve started to plan.

How did you go about finding your landing address? How did you choose where, and did you ise an agent?

@Djaak please read this landing story

• Like 1

SunshineGirl

@sueannejoe, wow - thanks for sharing your story.  So glad to hear that things went smoothly (apart from the Dublin mix up).

@Christelle & @Djaak, min dae until you're there!

Christelle

@SunshineGirl

Cannot Wait anymore

We’re planning mid-Jan, house is almost empty. We’ve sold so many things. Planning on moving in with my mom and dad in law end November.

how are your plans coming along?

sueannejoe

@Christelle my partner lives in Toronto so I had the option of using his address. 

I used an immigration lawyer to help with my PR application only.

• Like 1

Christelle

Thanks @sueannejoe We also used an immigration lawyer which helped quite a lot, however, come to think about it we did all the admin. It does however give you a sense of comfort knowing you have someone to ask all types of questions to. We have no one in Toronto at the moment (other than everyone on the Forum), who has all been so very helpful! 

• Like 1

SunshineGirl
On 28/10/2017 at 9:52 PM, Christelle said:

@SunshineGirl

Cannot Wait anymore

We’re planning mid-Jan, house is almost empty. We’ve sold so many things. Planning on moving in with my mom and dad in law end November.

how are your plans coming along?

Hi @Christelle. To be honest, our plans are stuck in limbo.  We submitted our application for the OINP end July literally hours before the stream was closed up.  That was 14 weeks ago tomorrow.  Am taking strain & trying not to moan about it, but it is hard to be in limbo.  No communication from the province, no ADR or any other doc requests from them - just waiting in DIP.  In the meantime, only approx 500 nominations left for the province to fill their quota this year, so feeling a teenie weenie bit stressed!!!

Am super happy that things are coming together nicely for you both.  A visit to Tim Horton's is just around the corner for you both!

• Like 1

zandekock

stay strong @SunshineGirl, it will happen at the right time

• Like 1

Christelle
On 10/30/2017 at 9:35 PM, SunshineGirl said:

Hi @Christelle. To be honest, our plans are stuck in limbo.  We submitted our application for the OINP end July literally hours before the stream was closed up.  That was 14 weeks ago tomorrow.  Am taking strain & trying not to moan about it, but it is hard to be in limbo.  No communication from the province, no ADR or any other doc requests from them - just waiting in DIP.  In the meantime, only approx 500 nominations left for the province to fill their quota this year, so feeling a teenie weenie bit stressed!!!

Am super happy that things are coming together nicely for you both.  A visit to Tim Horton's is just around the corner for you both!

So so sorry - I only saw your msg now. Stay strong! Have you heard any new news since end of October?

SunshineGirl

@Christelle, unfortunately no news.  16 weeks since submission today.  The wait continues.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

MuggleOnline

@SunshineGirl - hang in there! Hopefully something will change soon :)

• Like 2