graciax452

Ottawa Landing Story

graciax452

Hi all, busy typing this at Heathrow on my way back (another super long layover), not an exciting landing story by any account, but will hopefully help someone.

I had to chaperone Girl Guides who had a WHO Violence against children conference in Ottawa which pushed up my landing a bit. I prepared my Goods to follow lists and  proof of funds, and we flew via Heathrow to Ottawa, super long 8 hour layover at Heathrow, definitely not fun even with 16 year olds. We arrived in Ottawa but were last off the flight as we were in no rush and of course the girls wanted to freshen up so we were last at customs. The line actually halved whilst we were in the bathroom...

They have a new declaration system at customs now, you go to machine/self service terminal and scan your passport, answer questions, get your picture taken etc and declare, all on the self service terminal. If all goes well you get a receipt from the terminal and voila you are done, no mess no fuss.You go to the immigration line just show the receipt and you are through. Because the system is new there were number of assistants helping people. If you are not so lucky e.g. passport will not scan or it if bombs out after taking photos which is a glitch they said they are fixing then you join the normal customs line. We had to do this as ours bombed out after the photo.

The immigration agent used a yellow declaration slip, and asked us how long we were there, funds on hand and if we had food etc. When done he said have a safe trip so I asked him where I could do my landing and he said to go to immigration, which we had to  anyway as we had a yellow slip. We collected our bags and went to immigration. Only two agents were working and the people in front took an age about half an hour each, but after they were gone everyone else took only about  4 to 7 minutes. I got the girls passports stamped then did my landing. The immigration lady took the COPR. She asked how long I was staying and I said 5 days so she said I could not give an address to send PR card to as they can't send it if I'm not in the country, even if it's sending to my sister, she said it has to be sent where I'll be in Canada.  She said to update the address when I am about to move to settle so they PR card can be sent there. So I'll have to update my address online to get the card sent to my sisters' in Edmonton. She then stapled my completed COPR to my passport told me I'd need a PRTD in order to come back.

She asked me if I had a goods following list, but that I didn't need it as yet, as I was going to come back later and could bring it then. I told her I had it and she said if I was sure it was complete I could go get it stamped by the second guy who was checking bags. We went over, he took my passport filled out a form and stamped my copies of the goods to follow lists and gave me copies of the one he filled as well. No one asked for proof of funds.

We then took the bus from in front of the airport to our hotel. Easy peasy.

As I was there with the girls and had to stay with them I did not manage to apply for SIN, the one time I passed by Services Canada was during lunch and the wait time was 1 hour long, about 10 people in front of me so I left it. The Services Canada lady said it would only take 10 minutes to get if there was no wait time.

So week is over and now we are on our way back :)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

LotzofTravel

Great thanks! Very informative and helpful!

MuggleOnline

Very helpful - thanks for the information :)

Rddm2017

Thanks for sharing

Carol_M

thank you for sharing

evans

Thank you for sharing:)

• Like 1