Lizelle

New Zealand Option

Lizelle

Have you looked at flying over to NZ to look for work?  My brother got very little response from applying for work until he they eventually decided to fly over and try from there.  That prompted a company to contact them for a Skype interview (for my sister in law).  The company eventually gave them a job while they were in SA, and paid for their move, but they would not have committed to that first interview if my brother did not commit to flying over in the first place.

It is pretty easy for a company in NZ to give you a job even if you don't have PR.  They can give you an offer and you can start working next week.  If you are on the right list, in terms of jobs, they don't even have to show that they could not find a NZer to do it.

The companies are pretty weary of giving you a job from SA, though.  When you are there, you are showing them that you are serious.  

I know that it sucks to spend the money to go to NZ.  My husband went to work in Iraq for a few months for us to get enough money to move out of SA.  He then went over to NZ by himself, stayed in a youth hostel and ate bread and noodles.  Our thinking was that he had enough money to stay there for 2 months.  If he did not get a job in two months he will come back to SA.  He got a job offer in the first week and started working the week after that.

We did a lot of research, and there was a lot of work available in his field.  But, we never got any responses until he flew over.  

• Like 1

YolandaB
11 hours ago, Lizelle said:

If you are on the right list, in terms of jobs, they don't even have to show that they could not find a NZer to do it.

Hi @Lizelle , what "list" is that that they don't have to show that they could not find a NZer to do the job? We worked through a immigration agent last year for over a year and they have never ever mentioned that to us... they simply said the employer has to prove that no NZder was available...? They also advised us to fly over but told us its the best way but also a financial risk!

BloodRaven

I have to agree with @YolandaB on this one.  According to our research and the immigration agent a NZ employer also has to prove that they cannot find a Kiwi to fill the job before recruiting internationally.

You take a huge financial risk flying over on the off chance that you might line up an interview or two, then you spend anything between R15000+ on airplane tickets and accommodation but don't get any interviews or job offerings.  Money wasted that could have gone somewhere else in your immigration journey :(

Lizelle
5 hours ago, BloodRaven said:

You take a huge financial risk flying over on the off chance that you might line up an interview or two, then you spend anything between R15000+ on airplane tickets and accommodation but don't get any interviews or job offerings.  Money wasted that could have gone somewhere else in your immigration journey :(

Yet how much did you spend on the immigration agent?  How much more money can you earn in NZ vs SA?  Or how much less costs do you have in NZ?  How much have you lost in the last year and a half in the depreciation of the Rand?

Risk/Reward.

Sure, if you look around and you see two jobs in the whole of NZ, then the risk is much to great.  But if you see job after job after job being advertised, then there is clearly a shortage of employees.

At the end of the day, it is your money.  It makes no difference in my life what you choose to do with it.  But, the way I see it, you are in the points bracket where you may need to be a bit more pro-active.  Yes, Ontario may select you.  How much money will you have lost in depreciation of the Rand if they take another year or two to do it?

I will go see if I can find the Work Visa thing.  Maybe they changed it.  That is what we used to get the WP.  

Even if they have changed it, my sister in law still got her Work Permit is 5 days this year.  The process to get a Work Permit is not nearly as onerous for employers in NZ as in Canada.  That same visa in Canada would take more than 3 months on average, it seems like.

Lizelle

It looks like it may be the Long Term Skills Shortage List Work Visa - https://www.immigration.govt.nz/employ-migrants/hire-a-candidate/support-a-candidates-visa-application/long-term-skill-shortage-list-work-visa

The newest List - http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/long-term-skill-shortage-list.pdf

Essential Skills work visa says "... and the employer checked that no NZer is available", but the Long Term Skill Shortage Visa does not say it https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/options/work/explore-work-visa-options

I want to stress again that my sister in law is not on the long term skills shortage list.  So her employer had to prove that no NZer was available.  It is not the mountain that they make out of it in Canada, it is fairly easy and straight forward.

Nettie
On 10/12/2017 at 3:25 AM, BloodRaven said:

If you've done your homework and you know there is a demand for your line of work, the risk gets significantly lower.

Edited by Nettie