Kavn

PRTD Advice

Kavn

Hi

I wanted some advice on the PRTD, the travel document. I am planning a visit to activate PR in January before we make the move.

When do you apply for the PRTD? When you are in Canada or before you go? Secondly, if you apply while in Canada, how long does it take to get issued? I will be staying for about 3 weeks. 

I plan on going to Edmonton and Toronto. 

thanks

MaryJane

Hi @Kavn

The PRTD is a travel document you apply for if you do not have your PR card with you and you need to re-enter Canada. This document is normally applied for outside of Canada.

• Like 1

Kavn
1 hour ago, MaryJane said:

Hi @Kavn

The PRTD is a travel document you apply for if you do not have your PR card with you and you need to re-enter Canada. This document is normally applied for outside of Canada.

Hi, thank you for the response. 

JeffH
2 hours ago, Kavn said:

Hi

I wanted some advice on the PRTD, the travel document. I am planning a visit to activate PR in January before we make the move.

When do you apply for the PRTD? When you are in Canada or before you go? Secondly, if you apply while in Canada, how long does it take to get issued? I will be staying for about 3 weeks. 

I plan on going to Edmonton and Toronto. 

thanks

Just to add, PRTD is just a normal Visa in your passport (same as a holiday visa or single-entry visa). It is in fact a single-entry visa with your status marked as IMMIGRANT. This would also apply if you were to lose your PR Card and need to get back into Canada - same process - and you would get a Visa sticker in your passport. Thus, you would go to the same place to get the Visa as you would if it was a travel Visa. 

• Like 1

Nala

Hi all!

Just to follow on this topic - did anyone every have issues getting their PRTD? Also - does this document have a specific timeframe attached to it?

Am planning my landing trip in January as well - but cannot pack up my life that fast or stick around for the time it takes for the PR card to be delivered. Hence now considering alternative options.

Thanks!

Kavn

Hello Nala

I phoned VFS today, they said that the processing time for this document is 20 working days... If anyone has applied for this doc from Pretoria, how long was your experience?

thanks

Nala

Hi @Kavn

Thanks for the feedback :D A 20 working day waiting period sounds stressful though. If this was anything like waiting for my passport to come back from VFS - I'll earn a few additional grey hairs  - lol. Anyone else with feedback? I have this subconscious fear that I'll go to all this trouble - only for the PRTD to be denied for some odd reason.