Avital

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and I have seen a lot of helpful information on the forum so thanks so much for this.

My husband, our 7 month old son and I have decided that we would like to start a brighter future in Canada. After seeing an agent and doing intensive research and reading, we decided that we would attempt to apply ourselves.

I am experiencing an issue with getting my education recognized and wanted to find out if anyone else has gone through something similar.

I studied an International Professional Advanced Chef Management Diploma through Capsicum Culinary Studio. This course was a 2 year course but I received three separate diplomas for the course: Diploma in Patisserie, Diploma in Food Preparation & Cooking and an Advanced Diploma in Culinary Arts. These Diplomas are from City & Guilds and are level IVQ 2 & IVQ 3.

It was advised to me to go through BCIT to have my education assessed but they are not even considering it to be a 1 year course. This is the reply I received from them: "Thank you for your email.  Please note the credential that has been submitted is out of scope of what we can assess.  We cannot do this credential because it less than one-year duration and it is a trans-national credential.  You are welcome to apply with any other academic credentials the client may have. " I would like to try and have it assessed through IQAS as this was another company recommended to me by the agent but IQAS requires me to pay up front - which I don't mind doing if I get the results I need but of course this cannot be guaranteed.

Any advise on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently studying a business degree part time so if all else fails we will wait to apply at the end of next year, but if my previous course is recognized - we can start the process earlier.

Thanks in advance!

Nelline

Welcome to the forums! Sorry I cannot help you on your credential assessment query, but thought I'd bump the post to see if anyone else has some valuable input

corwes

Chef like qualifications fall under trades and for that you will need the Red Seal certification. Meaning if you qualify the requirements of the province you have to come  here and "challenge "  the certification (write the exam). 

Avital

Thanks so much for the answers @corwes and for bumping my post @Nelline! I have a "catch 22" situation here. I have this Chef Qualification but no experience in the field and with my current occupation as an Administrative Assistant, I have 5 years of experience but no qualification. I think my situation is something out of the ordinary. Anyone else experience something similar?

Nettie

You may need to decide if you want to go the chef route rather. (That sounds like the better option to me, since the Canadians love their qualifications). Are you able to work on your chef/pastry/etc experience perhaps part time? Will you consider working in this field for the sake of being able to emigrate from SA? 

Writing and challenging exams is just one of the fun things that we have to do in order to reach our goals. 

Once you're here you don't have to stay in the field and go back to Admin Assistant if that is what you prefer. The goal is to get here. Right? :)

Welcome to the forums!

• Like 1