Sign in to follow this  
Melanie Ferreira (Dezines)

Application in BC, lower points and general advice

Hi all, need some advice/opinions please.  We met with an immigration agent on Friday to look at our qual and points etc.  Hubby did his IELTS on Friday and sent in his degree into WES, so waiting on that. I will be doing my IELTS end Oct. According to the agent, we qualify with 73 points to go into the EE pool but from there we only have 385 points which limits us quite a bit.  My husband's NOC code is 0213 (IT Management). If we try and improve our points, it will only go up with 20 and then down with 10 as he gets one year older next year (he is 40 currently) The recommendation was to look at BC, as they have a shortage with their fairly new BC Tech Pilot program.  Is there anyone on this forum that has gone through this program and can give any input or thoughts?  We really wanted to look at Toronto (or anywhere really where we can find a job).  We've heard that BC is crazy expensive and not a good option.  Happy to focus just on BC but it would have been great if we could have had a bigger net to throw open....  Would be grateful for your advice/opinion/share of your personal experience!

YolandaB

Hi @Melanie Ferreira (Dezines),

I don't think you have to worry about your CRS points.... what would work best for your husband is to get all he's docs sorted (WES + IELTS) then open a EE profile.

For IT managers there's lots of options... seems BC is driving that but your husband could get "nominated" by another province also. Once he gets that PNP nomonation

you'll have 600 points extra for CRS and you'll get selected.

When opening your EE profile then please select "all provinces" so that everyone can see and maybe select him! ;)

Hi Yolanda, thanks for your encouragement!  We walked out of the immigration agent's offices feeling defeated and deflated :)

Marcola

And to add. Ontario had lowered it's 400 crs minimum for professions in the ICT sector.

Also, my feeling is that no matter where you get in you can always move at a later stage. The point is just to get in...

• Like 1

Chayne

@Melanie Ferreira (Dezines) I would recommend trying to get t hose extra 20 points asap as it will push you over 400 and into Ontario PNP sites

Thannks Chayne - the problem is that the post grad only starts in Jan and runs for 12 months, by that time we would have lost 10 points already.  With the extra 20 points, it will only take us to 405 and with no other way to get the remainder 30 or so points to get to what the average draw is.  The immigration agent said (bar doing French) there are no other avenues to increase our points...

@Marcola - I didn't know that they lowered their points - now that is giving me hope... thanks so much!!  Funny that the agent didn't mention that...

Chayne
41 minutes ago, Marcola said:

This was unfortunately for a limited time only and is currently closed (I think from 25 July).

No one knows if it will open up again, but there's always a chance, so at least get your EE done.

Marcola
2 minutes ago, chayne said:

This was unfortunately for a limited time only and is currently closed (I think from 25 July).

No one knows if it will open up again, but there's always a chance, so at least get your EE done.

Yes, currently closed. But my point is that they did lower the score for the profession in which her spouse qualifies under.

Lizelle

Personally, I would start looking at plan B, C and D with any points lower than 400. 

Yes, you can certainly get selected by a province.  But you may not.  Or it may happen end of next year.  Or they may change the whole immigration system before that.  

You have no control over if or when that will happen.

I am partial to NZ, so I will put that out there.  Immigration to NZ is about 100x easier than to Canada.  They don't have the "Canadian Experience" issue, and you get a Work Permit within 5 days or so (contrasted with 3 months if you are really lucky in Canada), and you can apply for PR while in the country on a Work Permit.

Oz seems to be a bit harder to immigrate to, but I have not kept up to date with that.  UK may be another option, but I have no idea what their immigration looks like.

You need an IELTS anyway for different countries.  I would have a look on the job seeker sites in NZ, and see how much work there is that you would be able to apply for.  That will give you a good idea of the shortage (or not) of people.

Unless you are 100% committed to Canada, and will rather live in SA than any other country than Canada, I would start looking around a little, and see what other options you can figure out.

@Marcola.  Thanks we will keep looking.  Will start EE application as soon as WES is completed.

@Lizelle.  We looked at NZ as well and qualify if we can get a job offer.  We are looking into that but to be honest, am partial to Canada for a few reasons.  One being the size of Canada and the opportunities just being a lot more.  But in for a penny, in for a pound.  Once you put your mind to get out, I believe you are 50% there.

Lizelle

:) getting a job offer in NZ is not as hard as Canada.  If there are enough vacancies, the companies will give a job offer before you get there (my brother's wife got a job as a planner at a mill from a Skype interview.  They paid for the move and everything).  Otherwise, if you choose to go that route, you can fly over and apply for work.  Companies are not so reluctant as in Canada to give a job offer, since they know you can start pretty soon.

I hear you on Canada being bigger.  And I get it.  I just always think back on our journey.  We wanted to go to Canada, but the opportunities weren't there.  So we chose NZ.  

5 years later, with NZ citizenship, we moved to Canada.  Some people that applied to go to Canada at the same time that we applied to go to NZ were still waiting for an answer (and sitting in SA).  So, for 5 years we lived fun lives, got to see a different country, got citizenship...., and then moved on, while those people were still stuck in SA (with the dwindling SA Rand). 

That was a different immigration system, for sure, but there is no telling how long you may or may not wait for provincial nomination.  

I get very, very frustrated and annoyed with people on here saying to other people in SA that you just have to put your mind to it, that door will open.  Sure, that is true for 1% of people that are able gear some contact, or some angle, and make it work.  For the fast majority of other people, what saying that does is make them cling to something while they don't look somewhere else to make it work.  So, 5 years later they still wait for points or some door, or some way in.    Waiting, because if you just try hard enough, you can make it work.  "Boer maak 'n plan" "Aanhouer wen"

That is total bull.  Canada has no shortage of wanna be immigrants.  The Canadian immigration system is a complete beast, and completely heartless.  They don't mind throwing out selected applications because a little box has not been ticked, or a piece of paper has not been filed.  There are 1000s behind that one waiting to be processed.  

Any first world country is great :)  In many ways I like NZ way more than Canada.  We did not leave because we did not like it, we simply wanted to try something new, the Canadian immigration system had just changed, and we were in a place to make a move, and there you go.  It's hard to regret a choice that gave us Canadian citizenship too, but if I had to choose all over again, I would've stayed in NZ.

Anyway, that is my rant for the day :)  I will quietly put my soap box away now.  

(All that being said, the rant is not specifically meant to be directed to you, it is just a general thing.  You are, of course, completely able to make your own decisions about your own life :)  )

Edited by Lizelle

SunshineGirl
41 minutes ago, Melanie Ferreira (Dezines) said:

Once you put your mind to get out, I believe you are 50% there.

@Melanie Ferreira (Dezines) - exactly!  Everyone above has given you some great info.  As I think @MaryJane puts it - there are many paths into Canada.  My take on it is that there are the quicker, easier paths & then some that you need to work a little harder for.  My perception is that your path (similar to ours) is the longer & few more hoops to jump through, path in.   But as you say, being persistant pays off. 

Right now, it seems that things have cooled off a bit with immigration  on the Canadian side.  Our ONOI will be at 10 weeks tomorrow since submitting our application, there seem to be fewer EE draws, etc.  It seems to me that it was the opposite in the first half of this year when things where really cooking.  Perhaps, it has something to do with the 6 000 per month illegal immigrants crossing the border into Quebec that need to be processed, or perhaps not.   The point that I'm making is that your timing is near perfect: it will take 2 - 3 months to get your WES accreditation & by then it will be near the beginning of the year & you'll be ready to rock & roll with your basic WES & IELTS docs in place.  Suggest that you also use these few months to obtain the unabridged birth certificates, letters from previous employers, passports renewed (if applicable), etc.

The last thing to add to all of the good points above is to check what your own CRS score might be (once your IELTS is done).  If you're a little younger than your hubby, you may just qualify for more points.  My & my hubby's point of view is: if you can have to fishing rods in the (EE) pool, you do double your chances (sometimes certain NOC codes are given NOI's  & you never know if your NOC code is the one that they are short of at any particular time now or in the future).  We also believe that no immigration agent is going to care about our application to the extent that we do.  It's nothing personal, but I can't honestly seeing an immigration agent waking up at 3am every morning to watch if a certain PNP was open.  I did that, along with a few other lovely ladies on this forum (at different times during the night).  I'd be surprised if any immigration agent can honestly say the same thing.

All of the best - hope to celebrate with you when you do receive a NOI or ITA!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LidiaS77
11 hours ago, Melanie Ferreira (Dezines) said:

We've heard that BC is crazy expensive and not a good option.

I disagree with BC not being a good option, it is an absolutely beautiful place with the southern parts having some of the mildest temperatures in Canada and there are many job opportunities. Yes, Vancouver and some larger cities are expensive, but you have the option of living outside the city or in smaller places and you will be earning Canadian dollars. Many people live here and get by just fine.

• Like 3

Thank you to all! I do believe with some great effort, you can make it anywhere. We are thinking to get into EE pool (IELTS do e and getting WES in next few weeks), look at the Tech pilot as hubby’s noc is on there and go to BC for LSD and try and get a job offer whilst we are there. Is this a good idea? 

Edited by Melanie Ferreira (Dezines)

MaryJane

@Melanie Ferreira (Dezines)

If you have the financial resources for an LSD, why not?

Go for it!

@MaryJane we do have some funds available. For me it is more about not seeing how else to do it if it is almost impossible to find a job offer from SA. Or am I misinformed perhaps? 😀

@MaryJane another question then... do you apply for a visitors visa in this case and how would you deal with immigration when you land? Do you hide it? That doesn’t exactly sit well with me. Any advice/share of experience appreciated!

MaryJane

@Melanie Ferreira (Dezines) Sorry I may have misunderstood. If your sole purpose of coming to Canada is just to look for a job, then it's not an LSD. An LSD would cover a lot more aspect than job-hunting.

Since it does not sit well with you, I would tend to agree that you should not do it then. I will not recommend you to job-hunt while you are here on LSD. That will be a complete violation of obtaining a visitors visa. And even if in reality, there are people who do it, the fact of the matter is that there are so many things that can go wrong in that situation. One of the biggest is if you are caught.

This is ultimately something you have to decide for yourself. If you dare to, then you do so at your own risk.

It is not impossible to get a job offer from SA, but there's a certain level of difficulty dependent on field of specialization. I think coming here for an LSD may help you evaluate the job market and opportunities available, make invaluable connections but not necessarily leave with a job offer. There are many factors, not just proximity-based, why an employer does not give a job to someone outside of Canada. It can be:
- time (they need someone urgently, right here right now),
- money (they don't want to fork out for an LMIA, relocation costs, consultant fees, etc.),
- hassle (they don't want to have to prepare immigration documents),
- legal (you do not have proper work authorization in Canada)
- competition (eligible applicants in Canada that don't have time, money, hassle, legal issues)

Most of these factors diminish when you either have a work visa or PR, and/or are living here in Canada.

My take on it is that if an employer is not inclined to hire internationally (go through work visa, the whole shebang), it is unlikely that they will change their mindset. The same factors that held them back in the first place, will still be factors to be dealt with. But that's just my 2c on that.

I do believe there are many employers who hire internationally (yes, with a job offer while you are outside of Canada), after all, many applicants have gone through the work route too. You might just need a bit of patience, tenacity, timing and luck to find those employers.

@MaryJane Thanks for the great input.  Lots to think about and even more to do.  Sometimes it feels like a bottomless pit of nothingness just to try and get in.  But all worth it I am sure!