LiezelJ

IELTS Topics - please share yours

LiezelJ

Hi all,

please share the topics you had for IELTS:

SPEAKING & WRITING

Thank you :)

FaithFUL

Speaking: I had to talk about "quietness" :blink: I was bowled over, but walked away with a good score!

Writing: we had to discuss whether or not university is suitable for everyone.

Petronel

@LiezelJ I'm also writing on Saturday! My speaking is on Thursday. I'm using ieltsliz.com to prepare. For the most recent topics check the links here: http://ieltsliz.com/ielts-speaking-free-lessons-essential-tips/

There are a few others on this forum also writing on Saturday. Hope they join us here so we can all prepare together!

Marcola

Speaking: How do animals benefit humans.

graciax452

Speaking: current news for a bit hen the one topic was  a purchase I made and whether or not i was pleased with it, loved that one. :) 

SunshineGirl
1 hour ago, Petronel said:

There are a few others on this forum also writing on Saturday. Hope they join us here so we can all prepare together!

Good luck to all the peeps doing their IELTS this week!

• Like 1

LiezelJ

Yes,

my husband and I are doing our speaking on Thursday and the rest on Saturday! I think nervous is an understatement :wacko:

Thanx @Petronel

• Like 1

Moni5

All the best everyone writing this week. Our speaking Test is on Friday and the rest on Saturday. I'm more nervous about the speaking test more than anything else. 

To prepare I also signed up to a Udemy course on the IELTS to get an idea of what the examiners are looking for etc. There's also alot of youtube videos on the IELTS. 

• Like 1

LiezelJ

I have found http://www.ieltsessentials.com very helpfull. They have good practice tests. 

• Like 1

LiezelJ

OMW, just got an email from British Council stating the speaking test for today has been cancelled and it will move to either Sunday or Monday!!! Really I took leave for today and now I must take another day leave possibly for Monday! Annoying really. I was mentally prepared for today :wacko:

CrystalClear

My Speaking test topic: Name an iconic building and explain why you chose it?

Hubby speaking test topic: When last did u use your imagination and how did u use it?

Writing: Explain the pros and cons of selling name brands apposed to second-hand items and how would it impact economic growth.

Good luck to all doing the IELTS!!!! 

IamA

So writing was basically Economics, i better start dusting off my old books then.

MaritzaS
3 hours ago, LiezelJ said:

OMW, just got an email from British Council stating the speaking test for today has been cancelled and it will move to either Sunday or Monday!!! Really I took leave for today and now I must take another day leave possibly for Monday! Annoying really. I was mentally prepared for today :wacko:

@LiezelJ the arrangements of IELTS in Windhoek is very "deurmekaar". We were 65 people when we took our tests. The lady that read the instrutions could barely speak proper English and the instructions on how to complete your answer sheets were very vague. I did a leave a comment on this when we were handed out satisfaction questionnaires. I hope there has been some improvement.

Our listening test was based on a a few telephonic conversations between customers and call centres.

Reading was about the history of the calculator (this was quite difficult).

Writing was about saving for your old age vs spending when you are young

Speaking was about the mix of architecture (old and new) in cities.

No one has the same topic for the speaking test. My husband (he was just before me) was asked about tv commerials and the impact.

• Like 2

Gerhard SaNamCan

@MaritzaS Hoe was die klank gehalte met die listening test? Was dit darem hard en duidelik? (Ek is @LiezelJ se man :D)

MaritzaS
2 hours ago, Gerhard SaNamCan said:

@MaritzaS Hoe was die klank gehalte met die listening test? Was dit darem hard en duidelik? (Ek is @LiezelJ se man :D)

Wel hallo @LiezelJ se man @Gerhard SaNamCan! :) Die klank kwaliteit was baie goed. Jy kon duidelik hoor wat hulle se. Jy moet maar net fyn luister vir die antwoorde. Wees ook bedag daarop dat die mense wat voorlees op die toets materiaal 'n aksent het (Brits, Aussie). Maar as julle die voorbereiding doen wat op die Road to IELTS is, sal julle fine wees.

Die instruktrise het heeltyd gepraat van 'n lêbo (dit was die uitspraak) en ek kon glad nie sin maak daarvan nie. Ek het later agtergekom dis die label op die tafel met al jou details op! PS: dis nie eens 'n regte label nie. Net 'n gewone wit papier waarop geprint is, en dis sommer so uitgeskeur. Los maar julle waardevolle besittings by die huis. Hulle het by een van die mense se karre ingebreek terwyl ons toets geskryf het en by nog een probeer inbreek toe hulle gewaar is.

Edited by MaritzaS
more info
  • Thanks 1

Gerhard SaNamCan
1 hour ago, MaritzaS said:

Los maar julle waardevolle besittings by die huis. Hulle het by een van die mense se karre ingebreek terwyl ons toets geskryf het en by nog een probeer inbreek toe hulle gewaar is.

Was dit ook by Safari Hotel?

MaritzaS
Just now, Gerhard SaNamCan said:

Was dit ook by Safari Hotel?

Nee. By die Goethe Sentrum.

• Like 1

Dep

I m doing everything on Saturday including speaking

• Like 1

Petronel

@LiezelJ and @Gerhard SaNamCan so sorry your test got moved! I did my speaking yesterday and it was a very pleasant experience! My examiner was an elderly British lady and she was nice and really tried to put me at ease. I think it went well.

My topic was tourism. I had to speak on what place in SA tourists don't often visit and why they should. Then we had our discussion on the same topic. Questions like what impact tourism has on the environment, should tourists be allowed everywhere and should there be protected areas. It was over in a flash!

@Dep good luck for Tomorrow everyone!

@Moni5 keep us posted on your speaking today! And good luck for tomorrow! We can do this!

• Like 1

Gerhard SaNamCan

Liezel is doing her Speaking today and I will be doing mine on Monday

Good luck everyone for tomorrow!!! We can do it!!!!!!! 

• Like 1

Moni5

Hi everyone speaking test didn't go so well. It was a British lady that conducted the speaking test. The topic was on television soap dramas and whether it depicts reality. I stopped after a minute and a half and then she waved her hand to tell me to keep going. I was super nervous and you don't have much time to think about things. Only afterwards I thought why didn't I say this or why didn't I say a that. Hopefully tomorrow will go better :( my husbands topic "do you think humour is important in advertising" and describe in 2 minutes a useful website you can link to others. If that was my question I would have said SACANADA :)

Great news @Petronel. Good luck for tomorrow let us know how it goes. 

Rddm2017

@Moni5 I had my speaking test on Thursday and the gentlemen who conducted my test was not very polite and looked down the whole time. There were a few moments where I stutter over my words. I really do hope that I am doing well tomorrow (as I am re-doing it to improve my score)

IreneBez

Good luck to the peeps taking the IELTS today!

Rddm2017
31 minutes ago, IreneBez said:

Good luck to the peeps taking the IELTS today!

Thanks @IreneBez

Moni5

Good Luck everyone :)