Sign in to follow this  
Melvaarde

UNISA LLB Degree accreditation by NCA

Moni5

@Hopefully yours hope you are well. Please send me that section in law degree. WES also assessed mine as a 4 year batchelors degree as well and I'd like to enter it as a professional degree. 

Hopefully yours

Sure @Moni5, please pm me your email address

Petronel

@Luis Dos Santos where are you buying your text books for the exams? I have sent my documents to the NCA so I'm waiting to hear how many exams I must write. But the books are SUPER expensive!

Cornel

Hi guys

How are your exams going? I also have a Unisa LLB and yes unfortunately it seems that I have a few requirements to fulfil

My husband have already received his assessment and have to write nine exams

He was supposed to write his first 3 exams in October but our twins where born prematurely, he had to postpone and are writing in January

I would love to hear from anyone who have already written the exams specifically how difficult it was is he is really struggling to study at the moment

We have been able to find study notes for the five compulsory exams but are struggling to find notes for the other 4 exams that he needs to write. If anyone of you have been able to obtain other notes or made their own, please PM me

Luis Dos Santos
On ‎2017‎/‎11‎/‎24 at 2:15 PM, Petronel said:

@Luis Dos Santos where are you buying your text books for the exams? I have sent my documents to the NCA so I'm waiting to hear how many exams I must write. But the books are SUPER expensive!

@Petronel I bought the NCA notes from http://www.nca-tutor.com/. They were a little cheaper than the textbooks and really helpful.

On ‎2017‎/‎12‎/‎06 at 6:50 PM, Cornel said:

Hi guys

How are your exams going? I also have a Unisa LLB and yes unfortunately it seems that I have a few requirements to fulfil

My husband have already received his assessment and have to write nine exams

He was supposed to write his first 3 exams in October but our twins where born prematurely, he had to postpone and are writing in January

I would love to hear from anyone who have already written the exams specifically how difficult it was is he is really struggling to study at the moment

We have been able to find study notes for the five compulsory exams but are struggling to find notes for the other 4 exams that he needs to write. If anyone of you have been able to obtain other notes or made their own, please PM me

@Cornel I wrote 2 exams in October (Foundations and Constitutional Law). The Constitutional Law was not too bad and I'm sure I did enough to get through it. The Foundations exam however was a nightmare...it literally left me baffled and without a shadow of a doubt the hardest exam I have ever written. I left the exam hall feeling really demotivated and I'll be surprised if I did enough to pass it. I struggled to get into the study mode but I studied for about 3 - 4 hours a day for 2 months before the exams. I wish I could give you a more positive response but in reality it will take some effort, I was mislead to think that an "open book" would be easy...it was not.

• Like 1

Cornel

@Luis Dos Santos  that is disappointing to hear..  I will convey to my husband as well.. Did you get notes from NCA tutor? You do pay for it but it seems to be concise and may be easier to read and learn 150pg vs 1000's 

How many subjects do you need to write?

Luis Dos Santos
59 minutes ago, Cornel said:

@Luis Dos Santos  that is disappointing to hear..  I will convey to my husband as well.. Did you get notes from NCA tutor? You do pay for it but it seems to be concise and may be easier to read and learn 150pg vs 1000's 

How many subjects do you need to write?

@Cornel I used the Notes from the NCA Tutor and they were helpful but unfortunately the topics that were asked in the foundations exam were nowhere to be found in the notes. From what I've heard on NCA forums this particular foundations exam was bizarre and wildly ambiguous compared to previous papers. But again this is speculation, I'm hoping that if I must redo it, the second time around will be much easier.

I was assessed to write 9 exams. I think most South Africans will be given the 9 exams because they cover the 5 core modules that are specific to Canada as well as another 4 modules that differ significantly to our own South African versions.

Petronel

Thanks for the feedback! Sounds like we are all going to re-do our degrees! :-(

Cornel

@Luis Dos SantosWhen are you getting your results?  I really hope my hubby will pass but studying again after so many years are difficult but we will pray and pray...

Luis Dos Santos
On 20/12/2017 at 10:12 AM, Cornel said:

@Luis Dos SantosWhen are you getting your results?  I really hope my hubby will pass but studying again after so many years are difficult but we will pray and pray...

@Cornel results will be out in Jan...holding thumbs 😬

• Like 1

Luis Dos Santos
On ‎2017‎/‎12‎/‎20 at 10:12 AM, Cornel said:

Just an update on the results...to my surprise I passed both exams I wrote....im thinking I might register for the remaining 7 exams and write them all in the same sitting in May...

• Like 3

Cornel

Awesome!  Well done!

Bronwen

Hi everyone, newbie here! 

I'm also stressing out because I have a "new" 4 year LLB from UNISA. I also have an LLM so I hope that'll get me credit for at least a professional degree and/or a Masters.

@Hopefully yours I just PM'd you - could you please send me that info on Law degree accreditation? 

It looks like I'm stuck with WES as I've already registered with them and ICAS takes 20 weeks

If WES does not give me the full accreditation for a professional degree I plan to send them proof of completion of articles, admission exams and admission as an attorney, which might convince them. 

Chayne
1 hour ago, Luis Dos Santos said:

Just an update on the results...to my surprise I passed both exams I wrote....im thinking I might register for the remaining 7 exams and write them all in the same sitting in May...

Well done. Congratulations!

Hopefully yours

@Bronwen, I just send you an email 😉

West

Hi Guys.

I have read through this topic.

I got my LLB through Unisa.

So I will probablyget asked to do the 9 subject and 2 years law school etc.

My question is if I understand correctly is that we can write the the 9 Canadian subjects at certain locations in South Africa?

If so, will it still be necessary to do the 2 years law school if we did the 9 subjects already?

Thanks

Cornel

Good day @West

My understanding is that we will not get the certificate of qualification without the 2 years law school which will in turn mean that even if you write your 9 Canadian subjects you will still need to attend the law school

There are however somethings that they may consider such as LLM and in class attendances

They are super responsive to their emails, so just pop them an email if you are uncertain

Here is the quote from their website 

In order to meet the NCA policy requirement for distance education, you must complete two full years of in-class study as outlined in section 1.3.2.2.4 of the NCA’s Policies and Guidelines. This course of study must include successful completion of the following NCA core subjects:  Canadian Administrative Law, Canadian Constitutional Law, Canadian Criminal Law, Foundations of Canadian law, Canadian Professional Responsibility, Contracts, Torts, Property and Business Organizations, plus any other NCA approved courses to total two years of study. Such courses may include: Family Law, Remedies, Taxation, Evidence, Civil Procedure, Commercial Law, Trusts and Real Estate.

If you are not able to meet all of the nine NCA core subject areas requirements within your two years of in-class attendance at an approved law school, you will be required to complete the outstanding requirements by writing the corresponding NCA challenge exams.

Please note that the five mandatory Canadian subject areas must be taken at an approved Canadian law school or, if you have already completed the two-year in-class requirement, by writing the corresponding NCA examinations.

You could consider any of the following options to complete requirements:

1. One year of an LL.M., plus a Legal Practise Course (LPC) or Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) in the UK.
  2. Two one-year LL.M. programs (If you choose this option, you could complete an LL.M. at any approved law school in any common law jurisdiction, however, you would need to take the five mandatory Canadian subject areas at an approved Canadian law school, or successfully complete the five corresponding NCA challenge exams after completing two full years of in-class study).
  3. One two-year LL.M. program

All NCA applicants are responsible for researching options to meet the two-year in-class requirement and are required to seek pre-approval from the NCA with respect to their course selection to ensure that the courses they intend to take fulfill the NCA requirements assigned.  To seek pre-approval, simply prepare a proposed plan of study and forward it to nca@flsc.ca.

Luis Dos Santos
45 minutes ago, West said:

Hi Guys.

I have read through this topic.

I got my LLB through Unisa.

So I will probablyget asked to do the 9 subject and 2 years law school etc.

My question is if I understand correctly is that we can write the the 9 Canadian subjects at certain locations in South Africa?

If so, will it still be necessary to do the 2 years law school if we did the 9 subjects already?

Thanks

@West The process is as follows:

Complete all of the required NCA Exams after the NCA assesses your qualifications. Law school is not required.

Once you have completed all the NCA Exams you will be issued with a certificate that can be used to register for the bar exam of the province in which you choose to practice. Each province has different requirements for admission into practice and but all of them will require you to do articles. You can have this requirement waived if you can prove that you have already been practising and admitted as an attorney in a foreign country. I haven't reached that point as yet but have been told that a letter of Good Standing from the Law Society will suffice to have the articles waived.

Edited by Luis Dos Santos

Luis Dos Santos
8 minutes ago, Cornel said:

Good day @West

My understanding is that we will not get the certificate of qualification without the 2 years law school which will in turn mean that even if you write your 9 Canadian subjects you will still need to attend the law school

There are however somethings that they may consider such as LLM and in class attendances

They are super responsive to their emails, so just pop them an email if you are uncertain

Here is the quote from their website 

In order to meet the NCA policy requirement for distance education, you must complete two full years of in-class study as outlined in section 1.3.2.2.4 of the NCA’s Policies and Guidelines. This course of study must include successful completion of the following NCA core subjects:  Canadian Administrative Law, Canadian Constitutional Law, Canadian Criminal Law, Foundations of Canadian law, Canadian Professional Responsibility, Contracts, Torts, Property and Business Organizations, plus any other NCA approved courses to total two years of study. Such courses may include: Family Law, Remedies, Taxation, Evidence, Civil Procedure, Commercial Law, Trusts and Real Estate.

If you are not able to meet all of the nine NCA core subject areas requirements within your two years of in-class attendance at an approved law school, you will be required to complete the outstanding requirements by writing the corresponding NCA challenge exams.

Please note that the five mandatory Canadian subject areas must be taken at an approved Canadian law school or, if you have already completed the two-year in-class requirement, by writing the corresponding NCA examinations.

You could consider any of the following options to complete requirements:

1. One year of an LL.M., plus a Legal Practise Course (LPC) or Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) in the UK.
  2. Two one-year LL.M. programs (If you choose this option, you could complete an LL.M. at any approved law school in any common law jurisdiction, however, you would need to take the five mandatory Canadian subject areas at an approved Canadian law school, or successfully complete the five corresponding NCA challenge exams after completing two full years of in-class study).
  3. One two-year LL.M. program

All NCA applicants are responsible for researching options to meet the two-year in-class requirement and are required to seek pre-approval from the NCA with respect to their course selection to ensure that the courses they intend to take fulfill the NCA requirements assigned.  To seek pre-approval, simply prepare a proposed plan of study and forward it to nca@flsc.ca.

@Cornel the NCA will assess your degree and professional career in determining whether you are required to Complete the NCA Challenge exams OR complete 2 years of Canadian Law school. It's not both of them, it's either one OR the other.

Cornel

I am including my email to the nca as well as their response

Thank you for your email.

Pertaining to your husbands file, he will need to complete the enrollment process with the provincial law society where he wishes to be a member. If he completes the process in one province, he will be able to transfer his license should he choose to. The Law Societies may allow a waiver of the articling period if he has enough professional experience, however, that would be determined by the Law Society, not the NCA.

Further to your inquiries regarding your distance education and the outcome of your NCA assessment, please see our distance education policy below:

Distance Education Policy

If you have received your law degree through distance education, please consult section 1.3.2.2.1 on page 4 of the National Committee on Accreditation’s (NCA) Policies and Guidelines document (http://flsc.ca/national-committee-on-accreditation-nca/nca-resources/policies-and-guidelines/), as well as section 1.3.2.2.4. on page 5. These policies outline institutional and distance education requirements, respectively.  Please note that NCA’s policies are subject to change from time to time.  All applicants will be assessed according to the policies in place at the time of their assessment.

In-class Study Completed as Part of Distance Education Program

Attendance in-class at a local satellite campus may affect the outcome of your assessment, but an assessment must be completed to determine if that is the case.  If you have participated by means of in-class sessions, in addition to submitting the documentation outlined in the Assessment Application, you are required to have the institution where you studied send a letter directly to the NCA outlining the nature of the in-class study, the subject areas covered and the number of hours spent in class. Regarding the University of London, please note that the in-class component may only be recognized for those institutions that hold affiliate status.

Meeting the NCA Requirements for Distance Education

In order to meet the NCA policy requirement for distance education, you must complete two full years of in-class study at an approved law school. This course of study must include successful completion of the following NCA core subjects:  Canadian Administrative Law, Canadian Constitutional Law, Canadian Criminal Law, Foundations of Canadian Law, Canadian Professional Responsibility, Contracts, Torts, Property and Business Organizations, plus any other NCA approved courses for a total of two years of study. Such courses may include: Family Law, Remedies, Taxation, Evidence, Civil Procedure, Commercial Law, Trusts and Real Estate.

Options Available

You could consider any of the following options to complete your requirements:

1. One year of an LL.M., plus a Legal Practice Course (LPC) or a Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) in the UK;
  2. Two one-year LL.M. programs (if you choose this option, you could complete an LL.M. at any approved law school in a common law jurisdiction, however, you would need to take the five mandatory Canadian subject areas at an approved Canadian law school or write the corresponding challenge exams after the two years of in-class study); or
  3. One two-year LL.M. program.

Applying for Assessment

If you wish to proceed with an assessment by the NCA, please fill out the Assessment Application form (http://flsc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/forms1.pdf) and forward it to our office, along with payment of $410 Canadian plus applicable taxes (credit card only) and a current C.V. You may also include original copies of any pre-law university education transcripts. Any documents with respect to your legal education or licensure are considered official documents and must be forwarded from the issuing institutions (see page 2 of the application form).

The result of the assessment will inform you of the courses/requirements you need to fulfill to become accredited in common law jurisdictions in Canada.

Upon Completion of Your Requirements

Upon successfully completing your NCA requirements by the stipulated deadline (typically five years), you will receive a Certificate of Qualification (not a Canadian law degree, but the equivalency to a Canadian law degree). At this time, you may approach the law society (common law) of your choice to begin your Bar admission process.

Please direct any articling/licensing inquiries to the law society of the province or territory where you wish to practice (http://flsc.ca/about-us/our-members-canadas-law-societies/).

I trust this information has been of assistance. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our office again

Sincerely,

Assessment Department

National Committee on Accreditation/

Comité national sur les équivalences de diplômes de droit

Federation of Law Societies of Canada/

Fédération des ordres professionnels de juristes du Canada

World Exchange Plaza

1810-45, rue O'Connor Street

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1P 1A4

Tel:     (613) 236-1700

Fax:    (613) 236-7233

www.flsc.ca

nca@flsc.ca

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:22 AM
To: NCA Office
Subject: ENQUIRY

Good day

I would like to inquire about a few things as I have been receiving contradicting information:

1. I hold a distance learning LLB degree of the University of South Africa and did not attend class but was admitted last year.  Will I still need to attend the 2 year law school program?
  2. My husband holds a BCom and LLB degree with the University of Pretoria in South Africa (which he attended full time) which has already been assessed by yourselves and WES and it was confirmed that he needs to write 9 exams in order to obtain the certificate of qualification.  If we settle in Alberta/Ontario will he still need to write the bar exams as well? 
  3. My husband has more than 15 years experience and have a letter of good standing with the Law Society of South Africa, will he still need to articles of clerkship or is there any possible way to have his experience accredited towards this requirement?

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you sincerely for your assistance.

Cornel van Greunen

Unit 2, Equity Estate, Charles De Gaulle Crescent, Centurion, Pretoria, 0149

PO Box 68492, Highveld • Centurion • South Africa • 0169

Tel: +27 (0)12 661 2065 • +27 (0)11 700-7397

Direct Fax: +27 (0)87 237 1400

Van Greunen & Associates Inc. t/a VGA Attorneys

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This message contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that you must not read, disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error, please notify sender accordingly. Any views expressed in this message are not necessarily the views of VGA Attorneys. While every care has been taken in preparing this document, no representation, warranty or undertaking (express or implied) is given and no responsibility or liability is accepted by VGA Attorneys as to the accuracy of the information contained herein, that the mail is virus-free, or for any loss arising from reliance on it. Copyright and database rights protection exists in this publication. VGA Attorneys is neither liable for the proper, complete transmission of the information contained in this communication, nor any delay in its receipt nor does it warrant that the mail is virus-free. All e-mail correspondence sent to us shall only be deemed to have been received once we respond thereto and for the avoidance of doubt it is confirmed that an auto-reply shall not satisfy this requirement.

Luis Dos Santos
1 hour ago, Cornel said:

I am including my email to the nca as well as their response

Thank you for your email.

Pertaining to your husbands file, he will need to complete the enrollment process with the provincial law society where he wishes to be a member. If he completes the process in one province, he will be able to transfer his license should he choose to. The Law Societies may allow a waiver of the articling period if he has enough professional experience, however, that would be determined by the Law Society, not the NCA.

Further to your inquiries regarding your distance education and the outcome of your NCA assessment, please see our distance education policy below:

Distance Education Policy

If you have received your law degree through distance education, please consult section 1.3.2.2.1 on page 4 of the National Committee on Accreditation’s (NCA) Policies and Guidelines document (http://flsc.ca/national-committee-on-accreditation-nca/nca-resources/policies-and-guidelines/), as well as section 1.3.2.2.4. on page 5. These policies outline institutional and distance education requirements, respectively.  Please note that NCA’s policies are subject to change from time to time.  All applicants will be assessed according to the policies in place at the time of their assessment.

In-class Study Completed as Part of Distance Education Program

Attendance in-class at a local satellite campus may affect the outcome of your assessment, but an assessment must be completed to determine if that is the case.  If you have participated by means of in-class sessions, in addition to submitting the documentation outlined in the Assessment Application, you are required to have the institution where you studied send a letter directly to the NCA outlining the nature of the in-class study, the subject areas covered and the number of hours spent in class. Regarding the University of London, please note that the in-class component may only be recognized for those institutions that hold affiliate status.

Meeting the NCA Requirements for Distance Education

In order to meet the NCA policy requirement for distance education, you must complete two full years of in-class study at an approved law school. This course of study must include successful completion of the following NCA core subjects:  Canadian Administrative Law, Canadian Constitutional Law, Canadian Criminal Law, Foundations of Canadian Law, Canadian Professional Responsibility, Contracts, Torts, Property and Business Organizations, plus any other NCA approved courses for a total of two years of study. Such courses may include: Family Law, Remedies, Taxation, Evidence, Civil Procedure, Commercial Law, Trusts and Real Estate.

Options Available

You could consider any of the following options to complete your requirements:

1. One year of an LL.M., plus a Legal Practice Course (LPC) or a Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL) in the UK;
  2. Two one-year LL.M. programs (if you choose this option, you could complete an LL.M. at any approved law school in a common law jurisdiction, however, you would need to take the five mandatory Canadian subject areas at an approved Canadian law school or write the corresponding challenge exams after the two years of in-class study); or
  3. One two-year LL.M. program.

Applying for Assessment

If you wish to proceed with an assessment by the NCA, please fill out the Assessment Application form (http://flsc.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/forms1.pdf) and forward it to our office, along with payment of $410 Canadian plus applicable taxes (credit card only) and a current C.V. You may also include original copies of any pre-law university education transcripts. Any documents with respect to your legal education or licensure are considered official documents and must be forwarded from the issuing institutions (see page 2 of the application form).

The result of the assessment will inform you of the courses/requirements you need to fulfill to become accredited in common law jurisdictions in Canada.

Upon Completion of Your Requirements

Upon successfully completing your NCA requirements by the stipulated deadline (typically five years), you will receive a Certificate of Qualification (not a Canadian law degree, but the equivalency to a Canadian law degree). At this time, you may approach the law society (common law) of your choice to begin your Bar admission process.

Please direct any articling/licensing inquiries to the law society of the province or territory where you wish to practice (http://flsc.ca/about-us/our-members-canadas-law-societies/).

I trust this information has been of assistance. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact our office again

Sincerely,

Assessment Department

National Committee on Accreditation/

Comité national sur les équivalences de diplômes de droit

Federation of Law Societies of Canada/

Fédération des ordres professionnels de juristes du Canada

World Exchange Plaza

1810-45, rue O'Connor Street

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1P 1A4

Tel:     (613) 236-1700

Fax:    (613) 236-7233

www.flsc.ca

nca@flsc.ca

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:22 AM
To: NCA Office
Subject: ENQUIRY

Good day

I would like to inquire about a few things as I have been receiving contradicting information:

1. I hold a distance learning LLB degree of the University of South Africa and did not attend class but was admitted last year.  Will I still need to attend the 2 year law school program?
  2. My husband holds a BCom and LLB degree with the University of Pretoria in South Africa (which he attended full time) which has already been assessed by yourselves and WES and it was confirmed that he needs to write 9 exams in order to obtain the certificate of qualification.  If we settle in Alberta/Ontario will he still need to write the bar exams as well? 
  3. My husband has more than 15 years experience and have a letter of good standing with the Law Society of South Africa, will he still need to articles of clerkship or is there any possible way to have his experience accredited towards this requirement?

I look forward to hearing from you and thank you sincerely for your assistance.

Cornel van Greunen

Unit 2, Equity Estate, Charles De Gaulle Crescent, Centurion, Pretoria, 0149

PO Box 68492, Highveld • Centurion • South Africa • 0169

Tel: +27 (0)12 661 2065 • +27 (0)11 700-7397

Direct Fax: +27 (0)87 237 1400

Van Greunen & Associates Inc. t/a VGA Attorneys

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: This message contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the addressee named above. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that you must not read, disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error, please notify sender accordingly. Any views expressed in this message are not necessarily the views of VGA Attorneys. While every care has been taken in preparing this document, no representation, warranty or undertaking (express or implied) is given and no responsibility or liability is accepted by VGA Attorneys as to the accuracy of the information contained herein, that the mail is virus-free, or for any loss arising from reliance on it. Copyright and database rights protection exists in this publication. VGA Attorneys is neither liable for the proper, complete transmission of the information contained in this communication, nor any delay in its receipt nor does it warrant that the mail is virus-free. All e-mail correspondence sent to us shall only be deemed to have been received once we respond thereto and for the avoidance of doubt it is confirmed that an auto-reply shall not satisfy this requirement.

Ahhh ok I see now...didn’t realise you had completed your LLB through UNISA..that changes things slightly for you. 

Cornel

It sucks

DC85

Hi everyone-

Im new to the forum and still in early stages of applying for PR, so am just picking up information as I go along. I just wanted to know, I have an LLB from University of JHB and am an admitted attorney, although not practicing at the moment so I am on the non practicing roll with the Law Society.  I am still waiting for my WES evaluation report, but I was going to select the points for "Professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession". Do I also need to have NCA accreditation if I don't plan on practicing law in Canada and can I select the points for that option without any NCA assessment?

many thanks in advance!

Luis Dos Santos
1 hour ago, DC85 said:

Hi everyone-

Im new to the forum and still in early stages of applying for PR, so am just picking up information as I go along. I just wanted to know, I have an LLB from University of JHB and am an admitted attorney, although not practicing at the moment so I am on the non practicing roll with the Law Society.  I am still waiting for my WES evaluation report, but I was going to select the points for "Professional degree needed to practice in a licensed profession". Do I also need to have NCA accreditation if I don't plan on practicing law in Canada and can I select the points for that option without any NCA assessment?

many thanks in advance!

@DC85 I had my degree assessed by WES and IQAS. WES returned an assessment of our South African LLB as a 4 year degree. IQAS returned the assessment as a "First Professional Degree in Law". Some people have gone with the WES assessment and selected the "professional degree" option and been successful, but it is ultimately a chance you take. If you don't plan on practising then don't bother going through the NCA accreditation as you will not be able to claim points for that option without the NCA assessment AND completing the NCA exams.

Cornel

I agree with regards to the NCA assessment, you don't need it if you don't intend to practice.  Our agents only used our WES assessment for our application