Sign in to follow this  
Mountaineerinthemaking

Our EE profile via an agent and the discovery of mild control issues

Mountaineerinthemaking

Dear friends

We have thought and tried to go back overseas for the greater part of the last 10 years. 

UK was our first choice (lived and fell in love in London) tried, didn't succeed on our green mambas, even with a job offer.

Then tried Nz, but it was never a true fit... something about living in mouldy houses on a tiny island.

I was watching Masterchef Australia one day, and my severe case of anywhere-but-here-athitis kicked in again. 

Scoured the forums, scoured the internet and found that accountants where in short supply.  But when I calculated my points, I figured out that I didnt have enough since I faffed too long before getting a degree. Australia only counts your after degree experience.

So I phoned an agency to make sure. Upon which he dealt me the blow that Oz was definitely out, but Canada was wide open. Hmm... I said, let me phone my person!

So we started the process in Feb, paid my whole bonus to an immigration agent. Which was a good thing. Because for 10 years I've  dreamt it, but paying that money meant that i had to DO something.

But, it also puts the ball in someone else's shoes and you don't know what you don't know.

We got out ducks in a row, luckily, since we've been preparing for years, I had a folder with references, unabridged certificates etc. ready for action.

Sent in my degrees to WES, did the IELTS and was hoping for a great score.

Here's why I wish I didn't spend that money:

I'm sitting at 407 on my own. They didn't tell me that I'd need my husband's IELTS score too... told me it's completely optional. Since understanding the process better, I now know that we're probably not in SUCh a great position as our max score would be 430's. The first available appointment in Cape Town is 2 December. I wrote mine 29 July... so we could have done that together! 4 months wasted.

Also, because I've entrusted this process to someone else, I didn't quite understand the process.  I've had to book and do everything on my own anyways (they do give you step by step instructions).

But today I realised why I'm going to have to go at it alone. 

i've submitted my forms on Monday (in the mean time waiting for my husband's IELTS, we can perhaps have a look at pnp's), I realised that I have no clue and no way of knowing how this process will unfold.

Im quite an impatient person, I go for what I want and I chase it down.  I wanted to know today, 2 days later that yes, your profile was ceeated! 

I can only sing of this agency's professionalism but I find it frustrating to wait 24 hours for a reply...24 hours may be the make or break in a Nova Scotia pnp situation for instance.

I am a task oriented person, deadline driven and today I realised that I definitely have control issues, especially about things that can change our lives!

So here goes us, on our own, with your help!

Not sure how to let an agent go, and how to then recreate the profile but I guess at least I will have a chance to act on any given opportunity much faster!

Anyways, thanks for reading

?

Edited by Mountaineerinthemaking
  • Like 2

Lizelle

Man, that sucks. 

I have no idea how you are not railing against the agency.  If they did not tell you that you would need your husbands IELTS too (or at least told you what the difference in points will look like if you don't), they are completely incompetent.

I hear you on being impatient.  430s is not that bad, though, the current draw was 433.  Have you looked at the rest of SA for an earlier IELTS date?  It may be worth the money to fly up to Johannesburg/wherever earlier if they have space

I would guess you simply tell them they are fired? :)  Don't know.  

Good luck (have not come across the right english words to convey the same message as "sterkte" :) - So, sterkte).  It is so frustrating to be so near and yet so far.  

• Like 2

MaryJane

@Mountaineerinthemaking I feel your pain about realisation although I haven't a clue how it feels to be attached to an agent because I never used one. Your feeling is similar to knowing what you only know at the time, so don't knock yourself down too much.

Now that you have decided to do it on your own, there will still be many questions that will fill your mind. As long as you continue to be determined to find the answers you need, I believe you won't go wrong.

I don't think you need to re-create your EE profile. All you need to do is cancel your representative to gain access for your own profile.

To cancel a representative, here's how - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/representative/rep-add.asp

Here's the CIC Q&A related to changing this situation - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=450&top=7

We pretty much will all be here waiting and taking this journey with you. All the best.

P.S. you might want to check the contract you signed with agent re: termination of relationship (or what I like to call the "escape route", which is always the first thing I check in a contract).

• Like 4

Hopefully yours

Hi @Mountaineerinthemaking, if you've entered into a contract with the agent, read the cancellation clause carefully, you don't want to end up with a law suit against you...In my personal (and professional :whistling:) opinion, immigration agents are overpriced!! I know all about billing and fees, but it really is ridiculous!<_< Having done our application myself, I can honestly say, if you do your homework, it's relatively easy...

Creating the EE profile and submitting the application upon receipt of an ITA is very doable...the key is research and getting all your prove and paperwork sorted out before getting started!  There is so much information available on this forum, an answer to almost any question you may have.

Good luck and happy research;)

• Like 2

JumpingShip

Eish @Mountaineerinthemaking, so sorry to read about your crappy experience thus far and the wasted money and time! Keep the faith and always remember 'where there's a will, there's a way'!

We also had a negative experience with an immigration attorney and terminated the agreement in April this year - at least we didn't lose any money, just time but all worked out in the end. 

As @MaryJane said the forumites will be there with you and 'hold your hand' where possible. 

As @Lizelle said - STERKTE!!!

• Like 1

Nelline

I'm glad to hear you found the agency professional. That's how many of them stay in business and I'm happy to hear this one was good. But I hear you regarding the wanting to  "be in control" thingamabobbie, I'm the same. Some great advice above, I agree with it all, and good luck!

• Like 2

Sarika

@Mountaineerinthemaking I really feel for you but I am so glad that you have decided on a positive way forward (with you behind the steering wheel). 

In the meanwhile take up a new hobby (Youtube has taught me how to crochet). It really helps to divert your attention during the waiting.

We are only writing IELTS in Nov and it feels like I have been waiting forever already!

• Like 1

Mountaineerinthemaking

? Thanks you guys for all the feedback!

I've emailed them to request a cancellation, I've filled out the form and submitted to them. Received an out of office reply saying that my consultant will only be in to reply to me on the 28th of August.

I've already paid for the IELTS so no turning back.

But desperate to see if I can perhaps have a lucky break and get an OINP or similar! ?

I've started looking on the CIC website to figure out how to do this!

I must admit, the last three days at work was the worst! I was so restless to know that it is now done! Can imagine how it must be when you are actually waiting on REAL feedback! 

QueenOfHeartsZA

If your points will be in the 430 range after IELTS then you do not need to worry about a nomination. Yesterdays draw was 434

Edited by QueenOfHeartsZA
Typed wrong

Lizelle
39 minutes ago, QueenOfHeartsZA said:

If your points will be in the 430 range after IELTS then you do not need to worry about a nomination. Yesterdays draw was 343

:) 434, you mean

QueenOfHeartsZA
Just now, Lizelle said:

:) 434, you mean

exactly :wacko:

Mountaineerinthemaking

Helo everybody

I have received some news on Friday which was extremely disappointing. 

I've emailed the agent about my plans to cancel their services, she stated that our profile was activated and that she was waiting for our final score from CIC. 

Turns our we are only at 375 and not 407 as she stated. (Which I was really stressed out about since I started doing our own calcs, I came nowhere near 400 as she did. Thought maybe I missed something).

With my husband's IELTS at max, we're only looking at 380.

The problem is that I am 38 in feb, no french, no canadian experience and my husband does not have a degree. I've already scored max points on IELTS so nowhere to improve except start another 3 year degree? Another post grad?

I have no way to convey to you the utter disappointment I have been feeling since this news. I've been in random tears all weekend. Just super low.

So, as we have already paid and it's open now, we'll update the profile with my husband's IELTS when it comes and then lie in the pool for the time being.

If by miracle I catch Nova Scotia pnp open, Ill apply immediately. Not even sure I can on such a low score?

For now,  not sure what to do... will probably have to have that baby our parents so desperately want from us (thought we'd leave it for canada). Browsing Unisa's website to apply for another postgrad of sorts.. applications are opening in September (1 year program). 

Thank you so much for the support you've shown me in this short time though, this community is filled with really lovely people x

Lizelle

I am so sorry.  That sucks big time.

I know you discounted NZ, but it may be time to reconsider.  My brother just moved there this year (he wanted to come to Canada, but they did not have enough points either), and they are ridiculously happy.  We lived there for 5 years, and I prefer NZ to Canada.

Yes, the houses can be moldy (they are fairly recent converts to double-pane glazing) - which is why my brother plans to have his house built :) 

In all the years that we lived in NZ I never qualified for Oz on points :)  

NZ's economy is currently growing at breakneck speed.  They have a serious worker shortage.  My sister in law was a planner at a mine in SA (no degree but N whatever you need to do that).  When she applied in NZ the company (a mill) had a Skype interview and made her an offer from SA.  They paid for the move and paid for an agent to help them with the work permit.  They paid for a rental for 4 weeks and a car for 4 weeks that they can find their feet.  

Her work permit took about a week to process.  

You have all the paperwork already.  It may be something to think about

Edited by Lizelle

MaryJane
9 hours ago, Mountaineerinthemaking said:

If by miracle I catch Nova Scotia pnp open, Ill apply immediately. Not even sure I can on such a low score?

For now,  not sure what to do... will probably have to have that baby our parents so desperately want from us (thought we'd leave it for canada). Browsing Unisa's website to apply for another postgrad of sorts.. applications are opening in September (1 year program). 

Thank you so much for the support you've shown me in this short time though, this community is filled with really lovely people x

The PNPs are not governed by your EE score (only Ontario is). Some PNPs do have their scoring system as well so beware. The most common criteria for acceptance on PNP is that your profession is on a province's in-demand list of occupation so I think that's where you should focus more on. Which province requires yours or your husband's services? And then target those provinces and watch them like a hawk. Most are also first come first serve so it is the most prepared applicant with the fastest fingers (and internet connection I suppose).

Not a bad idea to look at postgrad but I think at this stage, it might be a little counter-effective. You will be losing 5 points each year because of age. How much will you gain after a year of study? The net effect would be very small (I think).

PS. The following PNPs might be options for you:

SINP - Currently closed but you can wait. Get your ducks in a row for this. Very popular amongst the PNP. I hear SINP still has some spots left on their PNP and might open up at the latter part of the year. https://www.cicnews.com/2017/08/saskatchewan-increases-intake-popular-immigration-sub-categories-089496.html 

PEI - no guarantee of a response but PEI EE is open for application. You can send in an Expression of Interest (EOI) and wait. Might take a while though. 

NS - Currently closed but you can wait. No idea as to timing of when they'll start accepting applications again.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Nelline
33 minutes ago, MaryJane said:

The PNPs are not governed by your EE score (only Ontario is). Some PNPs do have their scoring system as well so beware. The most common criteria for acceptance on PNP is that your profession is on a province's in-demand list of occupation so I think that's where you should focus more on. Which province requires yours or your husband's services? And then target those provinces and watch them like a hawk. Most are also first come first serve so it is the most prepared applicant with the fastest fingers (and internet connection I suppose).

Not a bad idea to look at postgrad but I think at this stage, it might be a little counter-effective. You will be losing 5 points each year because of age. How much will you gain after a year of study? The net effect would be very small (I think).

PS. The following PNPs might be options for you:

SINP - Currently closed but you can wait. Get your ducks in a row for this. Very popular amongst the PNP. I hear SINP still has some spots left on their PNP and might open up at the latter part of the year. https://www.cicnews.com/2017/08/saskatchewan-increases-intake-popular-immigration-sub-categories-089496.html 

PEI - no guarantee of a response but PEI EE is open for application. You can send in an Expression of Interest (EOI) and wait. Might take a while though. 

NS - Currently closed but you can wait. No idea as to timing of when they'll start accepting applications again.

Good luck.

I know for a fact that PEI PNP targets "in demand"  job streams / qualifications I'm just not sure what they are. I do know that if you're likely to "get the nod" from them it'll be within 2 months of your submission of EOI. The ones from SA who have qualified so far, to my knowledge: a chemical engineer, a nurse, a family wanting (with proof) to buy land in PEI to farm.

• Like 1

Sarika

Shame hun, don't lose hope. There are some tough stories with a happy ending. @FaithFUL got ITA after 2 years! I'm sure that she can give you some words of wisdom.

Hang in there xoxo

• Like 1

FaithFUL

Ha ha, yes @Sarika @Mountaineerinthemaking, there is more than one way to kill (or is it skin?) a cat!! We waited forever for an online PNP to open that had our NOC on it. If you stop trying you will never get in. Giving up wasn't an option for us, we REALLY wanted to come to Canada. Aus & NZ didn't appeal to us. With that I just need to add that we're not leaving SA for it's problems etc, we want to go to Canada. Make sense?

• Like 2

Mountaineerinthemaking

Hi guys, woke up slightly more positive!

My husband did a one year Damelin course and a tourism qualification through Boland College which Im going to submit to WES, it can add 6 points, I'm writing one final subject of a post grad in November which I'll have assessed once I get the marks in December.

Hopefully with those 2 additional qualifications we'll get closer to 400.

You are 100% right, we are going to keep looking and trying to get there!

Nothing worth while comes easy! 

• Like 1

Marcola

If I'm not mistaken spouse language proficiency counts up to 20 points (CLB 10). Hubby did his with me and he scored 18 points (CLB 9). Assuming that your hubby gets a CLB 10, that will give you 395 as a score. Also secondary qualifications can also be assessed for points. 

As @FaithFULsaid, don't give up. PNPS are definitely an option and don't have a minimum score but rather a occupations on demand list. They have their own requirements. Check out their pages, get your docs ready and check their pages daily. They usually open at a good time for South Africans (ie not in the middle of the night)

Since I've been in the process I've watched NSPN and SINP open a twice. 

Definitely an option and definitely doable:)

Edited by Marcola
  • Like 1

Mountaineerinthemaking

Dear everybody who have commented and helped me, we have submitted my husband's qualification to WES yesterday and with his IELTS on the 2nd of December and my post grad we are 100% well above 400! 

So I guess final score pending, we might be in with a wing and a prayer for Ontario's pnp, or might even have a choice to go to BC! Whatever we get, we'll accept with open arms!

God willing, we will probably be creating our EE profile late Dec early Jan before my birthday in Feb. (He has been so good to us!)

Thanks for all the messages of hope and encouragement. 

?

Edited by Mountaineerinthemaking
  • Like 1