Sign in to follow this  
Shado

Nando's Chicken in Halifax

Shado

I know there is no Nando's in Halifax, NS, but can anyone suggest a place to eat that serves Portuguese peri peri chicken, similar to Nando's???

I'm craving for it and couldn't find a place till now. Here everything is sweet :o

I miss Nando's and Barcelos.......:(

NOTE: I managed to get Nando's peri peri sause in Costco. They sell in 1.5 liter bottle. Something to cheer about :)

MaryJane

Do you have Galito's there? I don't know if it's the same taste as Nando's but it's Portuguese. :)

Sarika

My friend uses this recipe: Marinate chicken with vinegar, ginger, garlic, oil salt and pepper (leave to marinate overnight). Next morning add nandos sauce and leave to marinate for the day, enjoy a Nandos braai in the evening. 

Edited by Sarika
  • Like 1

Shado
3 minutes ago, MaryJane said:

Do you have Galito's there? I don't know if it's the same taste as Nando's but it's Portuguese. :)

Oh thanks for the name. I could find the nearest in ON. Ontario has all goodies. I even went to Nando's in Toronto last year when I visited that place. Same taste.......

Shado
2 minutes ago, Sarika said:

My friend uses this recipe: Marinate chicken with vinegar, ginger, garlic, oil salt and pepper (leave to marinate overnight). Next morning add nandos sauce and leave to marinate for the day, enjoy a Nandos braai in the evening. 

Aww.. thank you. I must try that. I didn't buy a braai stand yet. But I will try this recipe in a pan and give you feed back. What are the measurements for vinegar, garlic etc?

Sarika

I'm so sorry @Shado but I have no idea about measurements. I think you have to just wing it :lol:

Shado
1 minute ago, Sarika said:

I'm so sorry @Shado but I have no idea about measurements. I think you have to just wing it :lol:

I'll make sure I don't dip the chicken in vinegar overnight :lol:

I have some idea... and i'll go with that..

OutOfSa

Slightly :offtopic:

For those recent expats:

Nandos - Part of their new collection

And some more :)

Edited by OutOfSa
Added a link
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nelline
6 hours ago, Sarika said:

Ha ha ha! Just wing it! No pun intended!

@Shado I do some pretty great Portuguese style chicken on the barbeque. You do need a charcoal barbeque though. Marinade (and yes I use Nando's sauce) and the secret is to cook slowly and with indirect heat. A Weber with lid is perfect for this (they're only about $150 - shop around). Make a flattie by cutting down through the breastbone and break the back. Marinade, preferably overnight / all day. Then cook with indirect heat (so pile your coals to one side - use a chimney and add more coals as needed), skin side on top first, you can flip over at the end if needs be but be careful because you don't want to lose that lovely crispy skin, until cooked through and skin crispy. About 45 minutes.

Shado
16 hours ago, Nelline said:

Ha ha ha! Just wing it! No pun intended!

@Shado I do some pretty great Portuguese style chicken on the barbeque. You do need a charcoal barbeque though. Marinade (and yes I use Nando's sauce) and the secret is to cook slowly and with indirect heat. A Weber with lid is perfect for this (they're only about $150 - shop around). Make a flattie by cutting down through the breastbone and break the back. Marinade, preferably overnight / all day. Then cook with indirect heat (so pile your coals to one side - use a chimney and add more coals as needed), skin side on top first, you can flip over at the end if needs be but be careful because you don't want to lose that lovely crispy skin, until cooked through and skin crispy. About 45 minutes.

Thank you Nelline. I was planning to invest on an electric barbeque, as I wanted to keep making them in winter too :). Does that work in electric well? I can buy the one with a lid. Oh I love the crispy skin which has all the marinade... ^_^

Nelline
5 hours ago, Shado said:

Thank you Nelline. I was planning to invest on an electric barbeque, as I wanted to keep making them in winter too :). Does that work in electric well? I can buy the one with a lid. Oh I love the crispy skin which has all the marinade... ^_^

It won't be quite the same but should be ok. I've no experience with an electric bbq, we do have a gas one as well but we never use it :P

• Like 1

Nelline

I was inspired to cook Nando's chicken this afternoon despite the heat! It's not pretty but the flavor is amazing!

The legs on the side are lemon/garlic n herb as The Sprog does not like his food too "hot"

20914627_10155608627125960_5746985700461641990_n.jpg

• Like 4

Sarika

Ooh yum @Nelline I'm sure it was amazing and satisfied your craving. The size of Nando's drumsticks here are about as small as my thumb :blink:

• Haha 1

Jules
2 hours ago, Sarika said:

Ooh yum @Nelline I'm sure it was amazing and satisfied your craving. The size of Nando's drumsticks here are about as small as my thumb :blink:

Sarika we have no idea how big your thumb is though

(Just teasing)

I've never been one to crave for Nandos. I will eat it if offered but I will never go out of my way for it. I follow a vegan diet 95% of the time and only eat meat once a week (and its a small portion). So when I do have my meat "cheat" day I prefer to go for something other than chicken like chops, ribs, steak or a good burger. 

What I do crave from SA is the Spur - especially their ribs and burgers. 

Shado
19 hours ago, Nelline said:

I was inspired to cook Nando's chicken this afternoon despite the heat! It's not pretty but the flavor is amazing!

The legs on the side are lemon/garlic n herb as The Sprog does not like his food too "hot"

20914627_10155608627125960_5746985700461641990_n.jpg

Looks yummy and thanks for the photos. did you use gas bbq or oven?

I too made Nando's chicken at home Saturday. I followed @Sarika's recipe and then mixed with Nando's sauce before grilling it.  

I used electric George Foreman's lean mean fat grill and guess what.. it turn out so good. I will take a photo next time. But it cannot match the real nando's chicken. But at least I got to taste it again. 

Shado
4 hours ago, Sarika said:

ha ha ha.. I can imagine. Twice I got broken legs also when I ordered take-away from Nando's

Shado
2 hours ago, Jules said:

What I do crave from SA is the Spur - especially their ribs and burgers. 

But ribs and burgers are available here too, with lot of flavors.  

Jules
3 hours ago, Shado said:

But ribs and burgers are available here too, with lot of flavors.  

I find that the bbq sauces taste too much like smoked hickory or mesquite.  SA sauces are generally a monkey gland base. 

Shado
29 minutes ago, Jules said:

I find that the bbq sauces taste too much like smoked hickory or mesquite.  SA sauces are generally a monkey gland base. 

I noticed that too.. :)

Nelline

@Shado I used a charcoal Weber

• Thanks 1

corwes
6 hours ago, Jules said:

You must see the looks on the Canadians faces when you talk about Monkey Gland sauce. I suppose we do not think about what the name can mean anymore.

• Haha 3

Sarika

Who knew a post about chicken would be so hilarious :lol:

• Haha 1

Shado

That reminds me another question about chicken :lol:

I initially found chicken to taste different from SA. I still don't like the taste of chicken here. I found chickens sold in Wal-Mart, especially leg portion has needle holes on all leg pieces. Is that something to worry? After that I ended up buying only from Costco, as I heard they sell better chicken (who knows!).

Sarika

@Shado can it really be that bad to get HOLY chicken :lol:

OK just ignore me

• Haha 1