Sign in to follow this  
TJG

Newbie Intro

TJG

Hi everyone, TJG here.

Been reading a lot of the posts on the forum for a few weeks now, and finally decided to join. 

My wife and I decided on Canadian immigration at the beginning of 2016, this was cemented after we had a consultation withe Deanne from Canada Abroad. It was a difficult decision due to the time and financial commitment required for Express Entry and the scores being so high (at that time). But thankfully the scores dropped as predicted due to the paper systems back-log clearing. 

So, fast forward to today. We received our passports and COPR's back from VFS Global yesterday, and the reality of things are beginning to sink in. I booked our tickets for landing scheduled for the end of September. We will be spending 10 days in Windsor with my Uncle, and sorting out all the admin associated with our class of immigration and developing a few contacts with recruitment agents in the area. 

Awesome forum btw, informative posts and fantastic stories.

• Like 4

MaryJane

Welcome to the forum, @TJG! Hope you have a great landing...

All the best!

• Like 1

TJG

So a small update on our side. We have been finalizing the last few things before our landing which is scheduled  for 3 weeks time.

Managed to get an earlier date for my USA VISA interview which resulted in my passport with B1/B2 VISA arriving this week. The USA B1/B2 VISA experience as a whole wasn't very pleasant, one can definitely sense that this is a country traumatized by terror. Not really looking forward to going through US Border Control *sigh*.  

Our apartment was put on the market this week, and I sold one of my vehicles last month and have begun selling some of out additional house hold goods. I have to thank my wife for convincing me not to buy anything for our place for the last year, so there isn't really much to get rid of, now the PR came through. Selling your belongings, really sucks. 

I'm currently trying to sort out my newcomers bank account with RBC, with progress being slow on this front. 

This is going to be an anxious next few weeks, the excitement is killing us...

• Like 4

Annasofe13

@TJG where are you landing?

TJG

@Annasofe13 , we're landing Detroit and driving across into Windsor, through the Detroit-Windsor border crossing. 

TJG

So I finally have some movement on our RBC day to day accounts, I was  contacted by the international accounts manager, escalating the delay issue via e-mail chat definitely helped. I'm getting all the documents notarized later today with a notary public close to where we live, hopefully I can have everything sent off by Wednesday. All in all, dealing with RBC has been very pleasant. 

• Like 1

TJG

6 days to go before our landing, and everything is becoming a reality. Just a few small things to sort out now, like notifying my bank about international use of credit cards, getting a small amount of USD and CAD, and last minute gift shopping. The weather seems temperate at the moment, but we are take some hoodies and a jacket along just in case. Hopefully our RBC accounts will be approved this week and I can begin moving funds across. Had our first show day for our property yesterday,  and having a few more prospective buyers coming to view during the week, hopefully it will sell soon.     

• Like 2

FaithFUL
On 9/11/2017 at 9:52 AM, TJG said:

Had our first show day for our property yesterday,  and having a few more prospective buyers coming to view during the week, hopefully it will sell soon.     

All the best!! Last week we managed to get a good offer on our house before the photo's even hit the property web page. We were quite taken aback considering there are so many houses for sale in our area that's been sitting on the market for months.

• Like 3

TJG

So, we're finally back in S.A after completing a successful landing and 10 day stay in Windsor and Toronto. The people, culture and cities are simply fantastic and I'm happy to have chosen Canada as our new home and thankful for Canada for choosing us worthy candidates to contribute to their beautiful nation. The Canadian society is not perfect and they to have their issues, but coming from S.A one cannot help but appreciate how well things function. It was very difficult flying back to S.A but we know its just for a short time while we sort our affairs. Reality has set in for my wife and I, knowing that our next flight out will be our last, is both exciting and scary at the same time, but in the end it is worth it. 

• Like 5

TJG

So D-day or should I say small D-day, has come. I handed in my resignation today, amidst a mix of emotions, but all said and done, I feel lighter after handing it in.  Now, to enjoy the last month with family and friends, tie up the last of the loose ends and leave for our new home. 

poorguy

nice! enjoy your final month in SA

• Like 1

SunshineGirl

@TJG, wow - exciting times!  One more thing ticked off the (very long) list, I'm sure.  Enjoy!

• Like 1