Lyle

Expiring passport

Lyle

Hi All,

I have tried searching but couldn't find anything helpful - we are currently in the process of submitting our profile into the Express Entry pool. Our target is to land in Canada by March 2018 - this may be a push, but it is what we are aiming for. The problem that arises is that our SA passports expire in December 2018. Is it necessary for us to even think about renewing our passports? Assuming all goes to plan and we land in April 2018, does Canada issue some kind of 'travel document' that you could use once permanent residency has been granted to travel back to SA? Should we wait to renew our passports before submitting our Express Entry, or should we submit on the old passports and then update our profile when the renewed passports have been issued?

Thanks and sorry if these are basic questions!

SunshineGirl

HI @Lyle.  We had a similar situation..  One can only renew your SA passport within the 12 months before it expires.  Canada require that your passport be at the point that it has at least 2 years before it expires.  Should your passport be less than 2 years old, ONIP require that the main applicant sends a scanned copy of both the new & the old passport (so keep you old passports after renewal).  Hope this helps!

• Like 1

Lyle

Thanks @SunshineGirl, I didn't know that you can't renew earlier than 12 months before expiry. This does make things difficult, but clearer at the same time. I will submit my Express Entry profile on the old passports and keep these on hand. When I do eventually renew, probably next year January, I will update my applications etc.

• Like 1

QueenOfHeartsZA

So you can claim it's lost and need a new one. But also it should be fine if you renew and there is a difference between passports entered. You just attach a letter stating my passport if different because....

• Like 1

IreneBez

Hi @Lyle.  I submitted my old passport which was in my maiden name for EE and OINP application.  Applied for new passport (paid R800 instead of R400 for early renewal penalty) and submitted PR with new passport, obviously submitted copies of both.  My medical was even done on the old passport number, and I passed medicals. Still waiting for PR so will know very soon if there was a problem with regards to passport.  I'm sure if there was I would have known by now. No harm in applying for new passports now, it only takes about 2 weeks lately.

• Like 1

MaryJane

@Lyle Since it's quite quick to get a new passport in SA, you might want to consider this option.

You should not have an issue applying for a new SA passport here in Canada as well. The only difference is the time. Average could be anything between 2-6 months. The SA Consulate/Embassy sends off all passport applications back to South Africa for processing, that's why it takes a lot longer.

• Like 1

OutOfSa

Not having a valid passport in a foreign land (even being a PR) is probably the least wise thing you could do to yourself.  During the first few years you will need it for a myriad of things, especially ID.

i don't think I'm exaggerating saying you'll double your frustration level in Canada ?? without it - every institution will ask for it in the beginning - well that's what happened to us - and even now as we wait for our holy grail to arrive (Canadian passports) we still need the green mambas every now and again ....

• Like 1

Lyle

Thanks @OutOfSa, we have decided to renew the passports and update our Express Entry profile in due course. We will likely have to pay the early renewal penalty, but that it is small matter.

It's really great to have input from all of you who have experience in this!

Lyle

So an update on our passports...

It took Home Affairs less than a week to renew our passports! We will go collect as soon as our unabridged birth certificates are ready as well. We figured it would be a good idea to get it all done at once. Also worth noting that we were not charged the penalty, although we renewed before the 6 month period. 

Our EE application will be finalised by the end of September when we will enter the pool (awaiting IELTS results).

• Like 1

Ominous_Hashtag

Hi everyone,

Does anybody have recent experience with passport renewals within Canada?

We landed in Canada at the end of July 2018 and settled down in Calgary. My wife's passport expires in October 2019 and we'd like to take a trip to Mexico in June/July 2019...I'm worried they might enforce the "6-month validity" rule and refuse her entry. Now the issue is of course that even if we apply now for passport renewal from within Canada it could arrive too late...probably should have thought about it sooner but life has been pretty demanding. Anyone have some wisdom to impart?

I'd also just like to confirm that she doesn't have to apply in person in Toronto/Ottawa but that the application could be mailed in instead? Because a trip east really isn't on the cards right now.

Does the link below cover all the bases or is there something else we should know:

http://www.southafrica-canada.ca/civic_services/civic_services_regular_passport.php

Thanks in advance for the help!

MaryJane
15 hours ago, Ominous_Hashtag said:

Anyone have some wisdom to impart?

Rather be safe than sorry, apply for the new one now. They may surprise you. Your new one could be with you in as little as four months. The timeline does vary. One good thing is that applying for a new SA passport doesn’t invalidate your current one. You are free to use it until it expires. So if your wife doesn’t have her new one by the time of your trip, use the current passport.

15 hours ago, Ominous_Hashtag said:

I'd also just like to confirm that she doesn't have to apply in person in Toronto/Ottawa but that the application could be mailed in instead?

What?! You don’t want to come visit? Horrors! 😁

The application can be mailed in. I couldn’t open your link but am assuming it’s the SA consulate’s page. All the forms you need are there. For the fingerprint form, I think you have to email them to send you the original so you can then put the fingerprints on that form. Check first, but that’s how I remember it.

• Like 1

Ominous_Hashtag
3 hours ago, MaryJane said:

Rather be safe than sorry, apply for the new one now. They may surprise you. Your new one could be with you in as little as four months. The timeline does vary. One good thing is that applying for a new SA passport doesn’t invalidate your current one. You are free to use it until it expires. So if your wife doesn’t have her new one by the time of your trip, use the current passport.

What?! You don’t want to come visit? Horrors! 😁

The application can be mailed in. I couldn’t open your link but am assuming it’s the SA consulate’s page. All the forms you need are there. For the fingerprint form, I think you have to email them to send you the original so you can then put the fingerprints on that form. Check first, but that’s how I remember it.

As always, we can depend on the legendary @MaryJane for answers! Thank you so much. As for visiting Toronto, we passed through there quickly on our way to Calgary and it was awesome...will be sure to visit it again in the not-too-distant future 😉

I'm really gonna push my luck here now...you don't perhaps know the visa rules for Saffers travelling to Mexico from Canada? It appears that an SA passport holder should usually have to apply for a visa but some guidance I've read indicates that you can do without it as long as you are a Canadian PR...we also have valid US multiple-entry visas...

LidiaS77
3 hours ago, Ominous_Hashtag said:

I'm really gonna push my luck here now...you don't perhaps know the visa rules for Saffers travelling to Mexico from Canada?

We visited Mexico in 2015 before having Canadian PR with our valid US tourist visas in our SA passports and were allowed in (without applying separately for Mexican visas). As far as I know you can also enter if you have a valid tourist visa from Canada and some other countries, or a Canadian Permanent Residence card.

Edited by LidiaS77
  • Like 1

Nelline
7 hours ago, Ominous_Hashtag said:

As always, we can depend on the legendary @MaryJane for answers! Thank you so much. As for visiting Toronto, we passed through there quickly on our way to Calgary and it was awesome...will be sure to visit it again in the not-too-distant future 😉

I'm really gonna push my luck here now...you don't perhaps know the visa rules for Saffers travelling to Mexico from Canada? It appears that an SA passport holder should usually have to apply for a visa but some guidance I've read indicates that you can do without it as long as you are a Canadian PR...we also have valid US multiple-entry visas...

As far as I know if you don't need a visa for Mexico if you have an SA passport: Nationals of the following countries do not need a visa - you'll get issued a Tourist Card for a fee of $20 though:
European Union (EU) countries;
Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Bermuda, Brazil, CANADA, Chile, Costa Rica, Iceland, Israel, Japan, Korea Rep, Liechtenstein, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, San Marino, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Uruguay, USA.
Foreign residents of Canada with a valid Canadian Permanent Resident card, and a valid foreign PASSPORT (not a refugee travel document), no longer require a visa for either tourism or business purposes. You must carry your valid foreign passport and your valid Canadian PR card to Mexico.

• Like 1

Ominous_Hashtag

Thanks @LidiaS77 and @Nelline, much appreciated.

LidiaS77

As far as I can tell according to Wikipedia and the Embassy of Mexico in South Africa website, South African passport holders do normally need a visa to visit Mexico, unless you hold a diplomatic passport. Applying for a Mexican visa is free for South Africans, but not necessary if you have visas/permanent residence of some countries.

Edited by LidiaS77