Sign in to follow this  
JasonEa

Hi from New Zealand (originally from Durbs)

JasonEa

Hi All. my name is Jason and currently live in New Zealand. I have lived here for about 3.5 years and am trying to gather information to move to Canada.

My main concern is the qualification assessment. Has anyone had their old national technical certificates evaluated (N3-N6)? I have read on some of the designated authorities websites that part of the process is to directly request transcripts from the educational authority that issued them i.e. the Department of Education. 

Now I don't mean to sound negative but I have been through trying to request a certificate which they forgot to issue to me and it took months to get anywhere. I still have the original transcripts provided once the course was complete. Can I not use these instead?

Has anyone had any experience with the request for transcripts? and if so how long did it take?

Cheers and TIA.

MaryJane
5 minutes ago, JasonEa said:

Now I don't mean to sound negative but I have been through trying to request a certificate which they forgot to issue to me and it took months to get anywhere. I still have the original transcripts provided once the course was complete. Can I not use these instead?

Hi Jason, welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, you will not be able to use the transcripts that you have. The educational authorities are particular about this bit and will not process your assessment until you follow their instructions to a T.

How were you able to get the transcripts the first time round? Maybe establish a contact at the Department and use the same contact person to assist you in getting what you need this time around?

Other forumites may have had this experience and I will let them share what they've done to get their ECAs.

Good luck!

JasonEa

Hi Mary Jane. 

The original transcripts were provided by the college once they had received them from the department. 

I guess I will have no choice but to try and follow the process. It is just really annoying when you send something off to them and nothing happens. 

Cheers 

Lizelle

I am curious, why are you thinking of moving to Canada?  We moved from NZ to Canada 6 years ago and I have been scheming to get back the past 2 years or so :)  (I've often wondered if I am only remembering the good bits)

Edited by Lizelle

JasonEa

Hi Lizelle 

There is a major housing crisis ($650k + for average 3 bedroom house in Akl, and that is nothing fancy.)  going on here at the moment and by the looks of it it is not going to end any time soon. 

It has gotten to the stage where even getting a rental is a major issue. Turning up to a rental viewing yields multiple families competing for a wet cold and leaky home at ridiculous prices as landlords are taking advantage, sometimes even holding impromptu 'auctions' looking for the family willing to pay the most for the rental.

At the end of the day I guess it just comes down to the size of the country. There is only so much on offer here. 

I have a new born at the moment and would really like to secure some acreage to build upon. And to be frank, I am just not willing to pay the prices asking here for what you get.

cheers 

Lizelle

Yip.  We lived in Auckland before moving here, and even back then prices were getting high (though nothing like what it is now).

That is quite funny, actually.  We want to buy an acreage too, and the prices in NZ look a lot better than here for us :)  (excluding the Maritimes, where acreages have lovely prices, but no work)  We are not looking near Auckland, that may be why.

Edited by Lizelle
  • Like 1

JasonEa

I guess we are all after different things :lol:

Lizelle

:) so true.  Life would be very boring (not to mention crowded :) ) if we all wanted the same things

Nettie

The houses here in the cities go for that and higher too. If you're looking at acreage to build a home, the East Coast may be a better/lower price option.  However, you may want to see if they have the jobs that you want/are qualified for.

You may be experiencing "Island Fever". Here you will learn what "cabin fever" is.

Good luck with your decisions.

Edited by Nettie

Jules
23 hours ago, JasonEa said:

Hi Lizelle 

There is a major housing crisis ($650k + for average 3 bedroom house in Akl, and that is nothing fancy.)  going on here at the moment and by the looks of it it is not going to end any time soon. 

It has gotten to the stage where even getting a rental is a major issue. Turning up to a rental viewing yields multiple families competing for a wet cold and leaky home at ridiculous prices as landlords are taking advantage, sometimes even holding impromptu 'auctions' looking for the family willing to pay the most for the rental.

At the end of the day I guess it just comes down to the size of the country. There is only so much on offer here. 

I have a new born at the moment and would really like to secure some acreage to build upon. And to be frank, I am just not willing to pay the prices asking here for what you get.

cheers 

You call $650k for a house in the largest city a housing price crises? It is MUCH more expensive here. The cost of housing relative to average income is out of wack in most cities and has some people talking of a price bubble. Don't move here if property prices are scaring you in NZ.

• Like 1

JasonEa

I accept that housing prices in the city are high anywhere in the world. We don't particularly want to live in the city. The problem is the knock on effect that it is having as the country is very very small.  Houses in even very rural areas have been pushed up tremendously.

The focus of my questions aren't really regarding housing but rather qualification recognition.    

Jules
19 hours ago, JasonEa said:

I accept that housing prices in the city are high anywhere in the world. We don't particularly want to live in the city. The problem is the knock on effect that it is having as the country is very very small.  Houses in even very rural areas have been pushed up tremendously.

The focus of my questions aren't really regarding housing but rather qualification recognition.    

Just want to be sure that you are making the decision to move based on the correct information. Property prices have climbed all over Canada. The city prices went insane which caused a domino effect to the smaller communities. Income levels are not in sync with property prices. Yes this is a big country but most people live close to the border. Employment prospects aren't that great when you go rural.

Do a lot of research before you uproot yourself again. In my opinion it's worth the risk when trading SA for Canada - that makes sense. But I'm not so sure it's worth the risk when trading another first world country for Canada.  It's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. 

Plus you have a decent rugby team to support lol.

• Like 1

Nettie

Please also enquire about the healthcare system. Since you are in a country with "universal" healthcare,  your expectation may be that it will be the same here and unfortunately, it's not. I have not visited NZ or lived there, but I have heard first hand experiences from patients and healthcare providers and all agree that the NZ system seems to be more efficient in different ways.

Edited by Nettie