Tracey22

Home is where the heart is

Tracey22

We went back to SA for a funeral, and spent two weeks there.  I had never been back to SA since emigrating more than 6 years ago.  Many Saffers I know, whether here , in Australia or in Europe, long for South Africa.  One thing I realised when I got to Joburg and was there for a week, home is where the heart is.  My children are my home, and they are in Toronto.  My heart remains in Toronto.

This realisation was quite profound. I expected to feel a homecoming of sorts when I landed, and truly I can say I felt nothing.  No sadness, no elation, no longing - nothing!  Conversely, when we landed at Pearson, I felt relieved to be home and glad to be home in Toronto.

• Like 6

Nettie

The first time I went back to SA, was after 11 years outside of the country. That time, and ever since then, whenever I fly over Africa, I do get a tug at my heart.

However, being in SA, is terrible to me, I don't like it at all. I go for the people and that's all. I thank God every time I get out in one piece.

I lived in FL for many years and with life happening, I ended up back in Canada. I call FL home and my kids do too.

• Like 2

Chambersfam

This is encouraging. We are applying for Express Entry and have so many reservations about leaving SA, and equally (often more!) reservations about staying. 

• Like 1

SunshineGirl

Thanks @Nettie & @Tracey22 , it is such reassuring info for those of us working on leaving & still being emotionally tied here.  @Tracey22 , condolences to your family.

• Like 1