Sign in to follow this  
Reibtseb

Start of my adventure

Reibtseb

So I have been active on the forums for a few weeks to a month or two, but haven't really said why I'm leaving and what the process has been like so far etc.

I grew up on a farm in the Western Coast, was home-schooled all the way to Grade 12, went to Stellenbosch to study engineering, and ended up working in Pretoria for a few years, lately Johannesburg.

Leaving the country has been an idea I entertained in the back of my head for years. I recently found a poem I wrote when I was about 13 or 14, in which I wanted to leave the country...looking back now, it was for stupid reasons. Then me didn't care, it was quite emotionally charged... :P I wrote another one while studying, about the then state of affairs, with the seemingly impending Zim in SA. That was almost 10 years ago. Ever since I finished the degree and started working, I have been putting the idea of emigration in a deep, dark corner of my mind, and tried to focus on being in GP and living life there, and working on relationships etc, mostly due to the "why do you want to run away from everything" argument of anyone I mentioned it to. 

Now if there is one thing I learnt from my last, uh, volatile relationship, it's that leaving the country needs to be a mutual thing. In the last 2 or so years, the idea of emigration started to come to the fore again, with Zuma and his kind wreaking havoc on my RA's, and the future looking increasingly bleak in SA. I started looking at it in a very serious way, since I had the experience and degree to leave, but the other one felt like SA was an amazing place with a good future...maybe in an alternative universe methinks... In the end it didn't work out, and I had no reason to stay anymore.

Then I got a new job, amazing company, amazing colleagues, very flexible work environment: everything I wanted in a company. I was thinking, "hey, maybe staying won't be that bad anymore"...

Then Gordhan got fired. Investments tanked again. I briefly had an internal war between the back of my mind and the optimist in me. The back side won, and the decision was made. I no longer wanted to work in a country that makes me feel despondent every time I look at my financial statements. Besides, the back of my mind has been wanting to leave for 15 or so years. Who could argue with that? :rolleyes:

The day I saw the Gordhan news, was the day I booked my IELTS test. Earliest date I could get was the 29th of April 2017.

At the same time I organized for Stellenbosch to get my transcript ready for collection by DHL, to courier to CES in Toronto. The documents got to the University of Toronto in 4 days.

So I prepared for the IELTS tests: Speaking was easy, my ex GF was English, so wasn't worried about that. The rest was pretty straightforward according to the practice material. The practice material is very helpful. I went through the links they send you once, the night before.

Got my IELTS results on the 11th of May. Luckily I got what I wanted: Overall 8.5 (L9,R8,W8,S8.5). Felt GREAT! After getting this result, I proceeded with the ECA application. I submitted that online to CES on the 12th of May 2017. I chose the rush option, didn't want to wait 16 weeks if R5k extra could get it to me in 4 days. I thought the R1250 per month was worth the faster process. All worked out really well in the end, as I would still have been waiting for the ECA now...

The ECA was finished on the 19th of May, and the hard copies couriered to me, which I received on the 26th of May.

I submitted my EE profile on the 22nd of May 2017.

I went to the CRC in Pretoria at 22:00 to hand in my PCC application on the 25th of May.

Received an Ontario nomination on the 26th of May, but didn't accept it, as I was confident of being in the next draw for an ITA, which I was in the 31 May draw. My CRS score was 441, with the cutoff at 413 for that draw.

I took an educated gamble, that the PCC would take the time as stated (based on feedback from this forum, and other sources), and proceeded to book my medical exams at Hatmed in Pretoria, for the 9th of June, 2017.

Received the PCC complete notification on the 5th of June, and went to collect it at 18:00 that evening. Much more traffic than at 22:00, but I was too excited to care. Dodgy area and all...:unsure:

The medical on the 9th was straightforward. I took a days leave, which was totally unnecessary. Got to the centre at 9:00, saw the doctor, went for x-rays, and then to the nurse for blood samples. I had to have an extra vial drawn as I have one kidney since birth, and the doctor wanted a Creatinine test to make sure its function was normal. All of this was finished in less than an hour and a half. I didn't complain, as it gave me time to work on my application, especially the settlement funds.

On the 10th of June, I finally got "a" document from a FNB branch. Wasn't what I wanted, but oh well. My explanation letter was very informative. I explained everything I uploaded, and why. Letter of reference from my current employer was a pain in the butt, so I removed that from my work experience, and added that to the letter, and attached what I had to the letter file. Luckily I had enough experience in my first job to keep my points the same.

I submitted my application and paid both the application and permanent residence fees on the 11th of June, at 13:31. 

Got my AoR two minutes later.

The waiting game was ON!

Then on the 26th of June, I got an email from FNB, with the letter that CIC asked for. I submitted it to CIC using a CSE (Case Specific Enquiry) on the same day.

This morning I logged into my application, and saw MEDICALS PASSED! So from 11 June to 8 July, less than a month from submission. And now I know my kidney is okay. :)

Can't wait for the next step! I might actually have to start looking into selling my house, and cancelling some contracts soon. Was initially thinking I'll only get to the end of the process around December, but it seems I might be in Canada by then. :D

• Like 9

Nettie

Oh my, things are moving very fast for you! It must be exciting! I'm happy that everything is working out for you. Thanks for sharing your experience. :)

• Like 2

Nelline

You're doing well. Keep it up! :P

My husband's parents had always "trained" both their children that one day they would leave the country and settle elsewhere. They saw the writing on the wall even back then. So it made sense that as soon as we got married, we left the country and settled elsewhere. We've been out of SA for 14 years now

Oh and my sister-in-law moved to the US in 2004 and has been a citizen for a long time.

Therefore my parents-in-law (choosing to remain in SA) have none of their kids close by and they're happy their children are thriving and "out of SA"

• Like 2

MaryJane

Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on getting ITA. Things are going to get pretty hectic from here on out. You'll be in Canada before you know it. And it's going to get even crazier. ;)

• Like 1