JeffH

NEXUS while PR

JeffH

Has anyone managed to successfully get registered as a NEXUS Trusted Traveller while on an SA passport + Canada PR + US Visa? This seems possible according to:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/elig-admis-eng.html

To be eligible for NEXUS, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of Canada or the United States, or a Mexican national who is also a member of the Viajero Confiable program.

I always thought it was for Citizens only. I'm thinking of applying (it only costs US$50 apparently) - seems to be about 3 months + interview. If not, why not :)

Nelline

Isn't there a 3 year residency stipulation? Suddenly I'm wondering if being resident on a WP would count towards the 3 years or not.

Stefan

Hey Jeff, I just applied for Nexus today - we'll see if they approve me.  I'm pretty sure you have to have eligibility to enter the US, so the US visa will help - perhaps only to the date of your visa.  Mind you, I used a German passport, which allows me in easier than on the SA passport, I think.

The online application process goes through many questions and verifications steps - it will stop you if it doesn't think you can apply (before you part with your $50).  I say, start the application and see where it takes you.

Stefan

• Like 1

JeffH
19 hours ago, Stefan said:

Hey Jeff, I just applied for Nexus today - we'll see if they approve me.  I'm pretty sure you have to have eligibility to enter the US, so the US visa will help - perhaps only to the date of your visa.  Mind you, I used a German passport, which allows me in easier than on the SA passport, I think.

The online application process goes through many questions and verifications steps - it will stop you if it doesn't think you can apply (before you part with your $50).  I say, start the application and see where it takes you.

Stefan

I misinterpreted the website, it seems that you still need to be here 3 years before you can register. So for me, I will have to wait until 2019. I thought this "Effective June 30, 2012, Canadian and American citizens living outside of Canada or the United States or who have recently returned to either country and have not previously been able to meet the three-year residency requirement are now eligible to apply. " meant that it might have been changed! It was a long shot :) So NEXUS will be an intermediate step before I get/qualify for Citizenship. 

Stefan

On 31 July I got "conditional approval" and must now schedule an interview within 30 days of that date. So, count on 3-4 weeks from application.

I haven't tried scheduling an interview yet (hope it's not a long waiting list like US consular visits).  There is a list of places I can go to in both US or Canada, luckily there's a place at what looks like Pearson Airport where I can go.

Stefan