Sign in to follow this  
Sharma

School Selection

Sharma

Hi All,

We are moving to Canada end of July this year. Initially we plan to live in Burlington Ontario as we have family there.

How do we choose the best pubic school? And is there is big difference between schools?

I understand that schools are allocated by area but as we have not yet finalzied our home we plan to choose the area with best schools (if we can afford it).

Thank you.

MaryJane

You could perhaps use the school ranking published by the Fraser Institute as a guide to "good" schools. You'll have to look which schools are in Burlington. And maybe guess where are you going to end up staying (choose a suburb or something) so that you can see what schools are in those area.

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/school-performance

Use the info however you like. I think the best would be to visit the school or talk to parents with children attending the school or talk to teachers about the school and then you get a good feel with regards the school itself. I know this is not possible though when you are not yet here.

MaryJane

Sorry, I meant to add that I put the word good in quotes as I feel it's rather a personal choice on what makes a good school. Academic excellence may not be the only factor that you are looking at as a parent.

Tracey22

I find the schools in any one area are similar to its neighbours.  the schools are all funded by the provincial government, and therefore all have the same ratio of kids/teacher per grade, as well as principal and support staff per student.  the difference comes in from the demographics of the area.  In the wealthier areas, parents are able to raise funds easier than in less affluent areas.  so as an example,  our school raises about $40,000 each year.  We have proovided smart boards, computers, laptops to each class, as well as provided additional musical instruments for the school band.  We have repaved the school playground and put in additional equipment for the kindergarten classes.  We donate 15% of the fundraising to schools close by that do not manage to raise as much.

In other areas, schools may only be able to generate $1,000 per year, and the schools may not have access to IT, Music programs etc.

The quality of the school hinges on the quality of the principal and his/her ability to retain and attract good teachers.  principals in York Region tend to be at a school for 5 or so years before rotating elsewhere.  I do not know about other school boards.

Also, people say that the Catholic Schools offer more discipline, and a different education - I do not know though.  My kids are in regular public school.

• Like 3

Sharma

Thank you MaryJane and Tracey for the information and advice.

I see that it boils down mostly to locality. We have to see what we can afford in the initial stages.

LiezelJ
On 6/27/2017 at 1:11 PM, Tracey22 said:

I find the schools in any one area are similar to its neighbours.  the schools are all funded by the provincial government, and therefore all have the same ratio of kids/teacher per grade, as well as principal and support staff per student.  the difference comes in from the demographics of the area.  In the wealthier areas, parents are able to raise funds easier than in less affluent areas.  so as an example,  our school raises about $40,000 each year.  We have proovided smart boards, computers, laptops to each class, as well as provided additional musical instruments for the school band.  We have repaved the school playground and put in additional equipment for the kindergarten classes.  We donate 15% of the fundraising to schools close by that do not manage to raise as much.

In other areas, schools may only be able to generate $1,000 per year, and the schools may not have access to IT, Music programs etc.

The quality of the school hinges on the quality of the principal and his/her ability to retain and attract good teachers.  principals in York Region tend to be at a school for 5 or so years before rotating elsewhere.  I do not know about other school boards.

Also, people say that the Catholic Schools offer more discipline, and a different education - I do not know though.  My kids are in regular public school.

What is your schools name if you don't mind me asking. I would like to google it.

Nelline
12 minutes ago, LiezelJ said:

What is your schools name if you don't mind me asking. I would like to google it.

Please exchange this information via PM only :)

Melanie Ferreira (Dezines)

Hi - on the academic rankings, what rating would be a good rating to look for?  Anything above 7 or 8?  Thanks!

Celeste_J
Posted (edited)

Hi. We are looking at elementary schools in Ontario and would appreciate any help and advice on the best public elementary schools. We have decided to choose a school first and then the neighborhood that falls in that schools district. 

Edited by Celeste_J

Chayne
5 hours ago, Celeste_J said:

Hi. We are looking at elementary schools in Ontario and would appreciate any help and advice on the best public elementary schools. We have decided to choose a school first and then the neighborhood that falls in that schools district. 

We looked at the Fraser ratings as a loose guideline for the quality of education, basically just to ensure that the school was within the top X percent (your personal choice) and not in the very low rankings. Of course this is no guarantee of the school environment, but it does speak to the dedication of the teachers and general outlook of the students and parents in terms of commitment to good overall performance.

It also depends on your kids. Different schools have different focus like highly academic, sports etc.

Another consideration is that often the very high ranking schools will result in the area being expensive because its in demand and I have heard reports of snobbishness in the very affluent areas (not personal experience).

Also consider the secondary school attached to that elementary school, as they are not always similarly ranked.

Hopefully others can provide additional insights.

Celeste_J
Posted (edited)

Thank you so much Chayne. I appreciate your advice. 

Edited by Celeste_J