Piper

"Team W" takes Canada, July 2017

SunshineGirl

@Piper, wow!  Thanks so much for sharing :-).  You and your DH are in our thoughts!

• Like 1

Piper

Visiting our fur baby at petPORT

We visited our cat at petPORT yesterday as we missed him too much after the "dust has settled" with regards to the container packing and admin. The kennels, facilities and the general property was very clean and neat. The staff were helpful and friendly and they seem to genuinely care about the animals. (My FB friends will be able to see photos of the entire facility and our hour with Enzo.) The cats each have their own privately enclosed "cave" as well an area enclosed by a shared mesh wall with their neighbor. Each cat is also given various toys, a blanket and of course a place to do their business if nature calls.

We were allowed to take Enzo out to a "picnic area" where we interacted with him. Everyone was very happy to see each other, but it was obvious that he was highly stressed. I immediately noticed a small medical issue that he has had a long history with. (He has swollen anal glands and his bum looks "fat" to others, but I knew what the real issue there was as I obviously know him better than anyone else.) I reported this little embarrassing issue to the administration staff on duty. I also ensured them that this is not negligence on their behalf, but an issue that we have been monitoring and it was probably worsened by his current stress level. They confirmed that a veterinarian will be out soonest to check up on him. When I left I dropped them an e-mail in order to have my request in writing.Today they confirmed that he did indeed received the necessary medical treatment. We obviously felt relieved that he was okay and still ready to fly next week. We are flying tomorrow!

So far I have no complaints about petPORT and I felt that they dealt with the problem professionally. 

• Like 1

SunshineGirl

Enjoy your last few hours for now on SA soil, @Piper!  Glad that things were sorted out for Enzo.

• Like 1

graciax452

Waiting with bated breath for landing update :)

• Like 1

FaithFUL
On 2017/07/06 at 10:36 AM, Piper said:

Packing our container

I think this will all come to half a container and we are awaiting the final bill in conjunction with the insurance costs.

@Piper, did you only have to pay for half a container? Hubby is looking into quotes for some pieces of furniture & a few boxes to take along. It certainly won't fill a container.

GerdaT

@Piper, hope all is well! I'm very excited to hear your landing story.

I would just like to find out if you required a Certificat de sélection du québec? What was the process and tineline to get that?

Did our CPR indicate that you would land at a specific port of entry? Did you enter there?

Thank you! I appreciate any help.

Jules

This is a very good thread. Wish everyone would take the time to share their experiences with this level of detail. This helps so many peeps coming afterwards. 

Thank you Piper!

• Like 1

Pepper

Hi Piper

Great Thread.... THANK YOU!!!

Congrats on making the move to Canada! I have recently been following your posts. My husband and I started the immigration process in April this year. We want a solid future for our family and believe that Canada is the right place for us. As Newbies we have much to learn and I think your positive approach has been awesome.

I am a self-employed Senior Architectural Technologist with my main work on the Atlantic Seaboard, luxury residential market. My husband is also self-employed and does Apple support and training for individuals. We have recently started a family and have 8 month old baby girl. This arrival of our little one has really affected our priorities and our vision for the future. We have found the stability of the economy and cost of living soaring in Cape Town very worrying. We have been looking at Ottawa, as well as Victoria and Toronto as possible destinations. We like Ottawa because of its scale and livability. Recently we have heard that you need security clearance to work in many of the jobs there.We like Victoria or Fraser Valley in BC for its weather and booming housing market...but are worried about the cost of living. We are also looking at Toronto (and surrounds) because we have a cousin there and there seems to be a lot of employment.

I would love to hear about your adventures Montreal. It really sounds amazing city but I am concerned French language factor in employment, schooling and livability. (Non of us speak a word of French.) Although, I am very enticed by the family values and low cost of daycare in Quebec. Let me know your thoughts on these.

I would also really appreciate some tips advice in how to go about gaining employment in the architectural industry from RSA. Your posts on the Cover letter and Resume and links have been incredible so far.

Anyways, I wish you all the best for your first few settlement weeks. Well done!!

• Like 1

SunshineGirl

@Pepper, when next we have a coffee group meet up in Cape Town, it would be nice to meet you all ;-)

Annasofe13

@Piper hope all is going well for you guys in Canada!

• Like 2

Piper

Hi All!

Its been a while since I've logged on. We are loving life in Canada!

Ill try to write a landing post soon. Can't believe I've already worked at my company for a month!

x

• Like 3

micciwhite

Hi. Probably a few personal questions...but why did you go with Bidulphs? And about what was the cost for this move? Also, do they deal with all the customs issue? Thanks

graciax452

Hi @Piper hope you're settling in well.

I'm just wondering if you can give me some pointers as to how your husband has fared in the job hunt as I'm in the IT industry like he is? Which recruitment agents did he use whilst still in SA and did he switch things around after getting there? I've started canvassing job boards. I am a scrum master/ software project manager and would rather have a  job lined up before I move.

If not too personal, i.e. you can ignore if you don't want to answer - did you move "up" or "down" with your jobs and are your salaries comparable to what you got in SA?

Hoping to hear from you soon, ciao

Piper
On 2017-10-24 at 9:59 AM, graciax452 said:

Hi @Piper hope you're settling in well.

I'm just wondering if you can give me some pointers as to how your husband has fared in the job hunt as I'm in the IT industry like he is? Which recruitment agents did he use whilst still in SA and did he switch things around after getting there? I've started canvassing job boards. I am a scrum master/ software project manager and would rather have a  job lined up before I move.

If not too personal, i.e. you can ignore if you don't want to answer - did you move "up" or "down" with your jobs and are your salaries comparable to what you got in SA?

Hoping to hear from you soon, ciao

Hi

I’m not on this forum much any more and have become a silent observer as we’ve settled into Canada. I have a very demanding job.

My husband started an interview process from SA and then secured employment merely days before landing. We both applied on company websites directly and cut out ALL agents during the entire process. Especially as a “highly recommended immigrant agent” helped himself to our hard-earned money before we did our EE application ourselves. We both went through rigorous interviews and background checks from SA. Skype interviews seems to be the norm due to the sheer size of Canada.

We got really lucky and both landed with jobs “higher” than what we had in SA. I’ll probably be cyber-bullied again, but our lifestyle is equal to or even better than it was in SA. Seems like the job market in Montréal is pretty hot and happening. Hubby has engineering qualifications which was recognized without any hesitation and works for a huge Swiss IT firm. He isn’t planning on moving any time soon as he said he is really happy where he is.

On the other hand; I’ve only been with my firm for 3 months and have a job interview with a competitor company on Tuesday. I was approached by them... the job market in Québec is unbelievable  ... in a good way.

It also seems that if you’ve had one good Canadian employer, you are “suddenly” more than good enough for other huge organizations. Hence my interview... 

I’m curious to hear what people’s opinions about “job hopping” in Canada is... seems like loyalty to an organization is frowned upon here ...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

graciax452

@Piper Thanks a lot for the imput, it's invaluable, I'm concentrating on Toronto then Montreal then Edmonton now, though I'd love Edmonton as family is there I figure if I earn well Ican fly there to visit more often than I do now. From Linkedin I have had a few agents tell me to contact them a couple of weeks before my move so will keep then bookmarked if nothing turns up. Had had no plans to move early but we'll see what happens :)

I did hear someone say my  years at the same company is odd for canadians who see moving companies as growing... to each their own I guess. I figure as I am also a consultant I have actually worked at tens of companies as well, I just need to highlight that, loyalty plus mobility in one :)

• Like 1

QueenOfHeartsZA

@graciax452. My husband is also in the IT field and he has managed to secure employment before we land. I can back @Piperup on the fact that you don't need to take a step back. His job is a step up in salary and benifits. He did take a step sideways into a different role but it's not a negative step sideways. 

• Like 2

graciax452

Thanks @QueenOfHeartsZA have been busy updating my resume and scouring IT company websites. Which province did he find a job and did he use a recruitment agency or specific job board and whats the best way to mention you are on your way but have no specific date as yet... in order to get that skype interview.

SunshineGirl

@Piper & @QueenOfHeartsZA, congrats to you all for securing great job posts in Canada.  Very happy for you all!

• Like 1

Pepper

@Piper ,  How have you found the French factor of Montreal? Has it affected your being able to secure employment and do your job?

Nelline
5 hours ago, Pepper said:

@Piper ,  How have you found the French factor of Montreal? Has it affected your being able to secure employment and do your job?

I believe @Piper speaks passable French

• Like 1

Nettie
15 hours ago, Pepper said:

You definitely need French in Montreal, which is probably one of the most metropolitan cities in Quebec. In some places in Quebec, no one speaks a word of English.

• Like 1

Pepper

Hi @Nettie and Nelline. Thank you for the feedback.

@Piper. Congrats on settling in and the latest job offer!

• Like 1