Piper

"Team W" takes Canada, July 2017

Piper
Posted (edited)

Hi All

This is just a quick post regarding our current moving madness!

Job hunting background

We got our CoPR on 6 December 2016. Due to personal circumstances and having good employment in SA we only decided to start job hunting from SA in early to mid May 2017. As my DH said; "let's not eat into our pension funds and saving accounts. Let us not commit financial suicide." We both were "lucky" and received multiple offers in about a month. We are flying in less than 2 weeks! I was asked by @SunshineGirl to write some tips from my personal experience. I do not think that we are "lucky", "special", "an exception" or "big fish" at all. On the contrary! We are in our mid to late 20s with little experience. I do however think that we did our due diligence and put in a lot of hard work and effort. My DH does not follow these forums or the FB page and he never had the "it is basically impossible" attitude as is often insinuated on these platforms. On the contrary; he decided on our behalf that we will make it work from SA. I also wish to start a family upon arrival, so we really needed to be as financially secure as possible upon landing. I need to start work ASAP in order to qualify for maternity benefits.

The following is just my personal opinion. I am not a recruiter, an agent or a lawyer. I have no commercial affiliation to any immigration or recruitment firms. In fact; I love cutting the middle-man out. ;-)

Approach to finding employment/ doing an application:

We started in only Ottawa and Montreal as these cities are our first preferences for various reasons. We are heading to Montreal as that is where I got the best offer. I started by contacting some recruitment agencies. None of them came back to me or even acknowledged receipt of my resume. My DH did however get a lot of traction from recruitment agencies. It seems that this is industry-specific as we are in completely separate industries. I however found that the professional body with which I will register in Canada has a job board and I found various employment opportunities on there that was in line with my profile and what I was interested in doing.

I personally found indeed.ca to be very helpful. They list jobs for all walks of life and is generally a summary of all of the other websites. Indeed.ca in some instance take you to the organization's job portal directly. If this generally happens be prepared to fill in an application similar to the Express Entry profile. (Oh what fun, but at least I've had good practice and everything is already saved in an Excel spreadsheet so I just copy it over.) Large organizations generally require a huge amount of information. This includes your full qualifications, employment history, a motivation as well as a lot of security questions and in some instances a voluntary demographic section. It can easily take up to an hour to fill this in properly. After I came across a few of these I decided that "quality over quantity" will be my approach. I did about 20 thorough applications as opposed to the South African "scatter-gun" approach of sending out 200  CVs left, right and centre.

Resume & Cover letter tips:

Oh boy, have I seen some terrible resumes from South Africans who are extremely highly qualified! As there has been multiple posts on this topic I will not write an essay here, but in my opinion this is where things go a bit pear-shaped for Saffas. I benefited a lot from soliciting critical advice from a lady in Canada in exactly the same industry as myself. She has over 40 years of experience and she gave me some pretty good critique. My dad has an IT firm in Canada and I spent about a day with the one HR lady to iterate my resume further.

It is crucial that your resume lists your accomplishments and not your generic job duties. Furthermore; it needs to be concise, legible and neat. Every square cm on that page is an important piece of real estate. Optimize what you put on there! Do not submit a resume longer than 2 pages. Your "third" page will have a list of contactable references. Please note; since you are a foreign worker your references will most probably be contacted. (Mine and my husband's were contacted.) Your resume and cover letter needs to be aligned to each and every position that you apply for.

As an side to those paying someone to find employment on your behalf: I am not sure how someone applying for employment on your behalf can do this? Please share?

Interviews (personal experience):

All of my interviews were Skype interviews. I made it known that I am more than willing to fly over at any stage. At one stage a company wanted me to do it, but they then continued with Skype interviews instead. The first interview is generally just with HR. It is merely an informal discussion about the role, your expectations, their expectations and your availability. The second and even third interview will then be "the" interview. With the offer that I accepted my fourth interview was a "meet the team" interview. As I manage projects, I felt that this was very nice from the organization that some colleagues who will work beside and even below me had a say in whether I was going to be made and offer. I did not in any interviews feel that I was discriminated against as my qualifications were foreign. In fact; I was told in multiple interviews that it is in fact in my advantage to be from South Africa as the organization wants to portray more diversity and inclusion in their staff complement. I was however asked multiple times to submit my WES certificate. Large organizations are therefore somewhat familiar with the immigration process. My WES certificate lists my full education background from matric to postgraduate degrees (all inclusive).

Offers (personal experience):

If you are being asked your CoPR document, you can safely assume that an employment offer is coming your way within the next 24 hours. I found it very "Canadian" and friendly that the offer that I accepted had a separate sheet that I had to sign and fill in my own start date. This gave me about 7-8 weeks to wrap up in SA and to settle in Canada prior to jumping into full-time employment on that side.

Flights

We are flying British Airways. JHB to London Heathrow to NYC to Montreal. I have organized to take an additional bag of clothes (at an additional cost of course) as I will need it, especially as my new employer seems to require formal attire.

We will explore NYC a bit during our layover. (We have US visas.) It will be so cool to be there again as part of our honeymoon was spent there. It seems as if our lives have come full circle! We will also have 3 weeks in Canada prior to going back to work. Luckily we will be on paid leave from our employers in SA as we never took a break over December 2016.

petPORT - My cat

The day I adopted my rescue cat from a shelter I promised him that we will never abandon him. My beautiful only child will be fetched this Friday by petPORT. We had to measure him so that a specialized crate is built for him. (We measured him while our house was on show and we got quite a few giggles, needless to say!) Although we are only flying next weekend, I have decided that it is best that he no longer lives in our house based on the fact that it is total chaos and he is constantly stressed with all of the strangers coming and going with the packing. He will be flying KLM to Amsterdam and we will fetch him in Montreal a few days after we have arrived as we will still need to activate the electricity in our new apartment. Our new apartment has a cat and dog park which is pretty awesome. The initial quote was R10 000, but it will be more now as we moved the date that he will be fetched from us a bit sooner. I feel that this is extremely reasonable and I have absolutely no qualms in paying this for my precious kitten.

Container

We are busy packing and purging like crazy. We have decided on Biddulphs. The final quote will only be given once everything is packed.

That is all for now!

Edited by Piper
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Annasofe13

@Piper thank you very much for the advice/tips, good luck with your journey ahead!

• Like 2

YolandaB

Hi @Piper,

Good post thank you ! On the Montreal side of things ...we never applied for anything that side as we were put off by the "fresh side" of Canada. But I did see a lot of

job postings there for both of us...what's your take on that region as we didn't even try there because of the French. I know they all speak English but I thought it would

be easier to focus on other regions instead.

Piper
1 hour ago, YolandaB said:

On the Montreal side of things ...we never applied for anything that side as we were put off by the "fresh side" of Canada. But I did see a lot of

job postings there for both of us...what's your take on that region as we didn't even try there because of the French. I know they all speak English but I thought it would

be easier to focus on other regions instead.

Hi @YolandaB,

My DH is in IT and the industry in Montreal for IT is huge. I'm an architect and Montreal has consistently been voted "the design capital". There is a lot of construction happening there. Both our fields generally do not have the french requirement, although it is a huge asset to be able to speak french in both Montreal and Ottawa. I will be working for an American company and my colleagues can all speak English as business is conducted in English. Majority of my colleagues are from the USA, the rest of Canada (non-Quebec) or from other countries. Furthermore; 98% of my clients are in the USA and do not speak French at all. If you look at social benefits Montreal seems to be very welcoming even though they have higher taxes. Most employment benefits include a cooked lunch (french cuisine nogal), daycare for your children on site (Quebec seems to very child friendly), gym fees and reimbursements if you utilize public transport to work.

I am not saying that Montreal is the best decision for everyone, but I do feel that it is a good decision for us at this point in our lives. Honestly; our first choice was Ottawa. I am going to put everything into Montreal though although we are still open to move to Ottawa or the US via my employer at a later stage. We decided that Toronto and Vancouver is not for us. These are all very personal choices that every family has to make for themselves. We chose Montreal as I got the best offer there. I would rather be in my 2nd choice city (Montreal) and be happy with my job as opposed to have taken an average employment opportunity in Ottawa. I do feel that my new employer in Montreal will potentially open up more doors later on in my career. (More so than options I had in Ottawa at this point in time.) I feel that it is important to gain good experience prior to perhaps taking some time off of work to have a family. If I do not break into the career market NOW I might struggle to get back into it later.

My advice is to start by applying for jobs that you are really interested in for the first two months. Only compromise later. You might surprise yourself with those first few applications!

• Like 5

Piper
Posted (edited)

Since this has become like a journal; I've just been made an offer on my little house in Pretoria! We only put it on the market last week and decided to cut out the agent. I was a little naughty and bargained a higher price as we will need every cent in Canada. My husband owes me big time.

Happy days as we can sign the paper work this week still. We are flying next weekend!

Edited by Piper
  • Like 6

graciax452

Amazing @Piper. Wishing you all the best! did you hubby also get a job lined up? I'm in IT and was also thinking of job hunting after I get PR so am wondering how that went...

Piper
Just now, graciax452 said:

Amazing @Piper. Wishing you all the best! did you hubby also get a job lined up? I'm in IT and was also thinking of job hunting after I get PR so am wondering how that went...

Hi @graciax452, he just declined two offers, but we do not feel that he will struggle to find more opportunities. The Canadian IT industry has loads of opportunities and he feels that he wants to be a bit picky at this stage still. As mentioned; we are going to be in Canada the entire July on paid leave from our SA employers. Money will be tight, but he only recently moved his focus from Ottawa to Montreal and would like to give employers the benefit of the doubt. There are a lot of recruitment agencies specializing in IT which we have found to be very helpful. He is a "solutions architect" if that helps. (I am not in the IT industry and I do not know what that means!)

• Like 1

graciax452

Great thanks, the paid leave is such a bonus, I think I'll work towards that too :). IT job names can be ... hard to figure out, every time someone asks me what i do i hesitate and have to think if they will get me if I say Scrum Master... and usually just end up saying Project manager :) 

Piper
1 hour ago, graciax452 said:

Great thanks, the paid leave is such a bonus, I think I'll work towards that too :). IT job names can be ... hard to figure out, every time someone asks me what i do i hesitate and have to think if they will get me if I say Scrum Master... and usually just end up saying Project manager :) 

Imagine the following confusion; I am also a project manager and people automatically assume I work in either banking or in IT, yet I work in design/ construction consulting. :D

YolandaB
19 hours ago, Piper said:

Since this has become like a journal; I've just been made an offer on my little house in Pretoria! We only put it on the market last week and decided to cut out the agent. I was a little naughty and bargained a higher price as we will need every cent in Canada. My husband owes me big time.

Happy days as we can sign the paper work this week still. We are flying next weekend!

Hi @Piper, wow...you can "operate" hey ! :)

And yes hubby owes you big time !!!

• Like 1

Tracey22
On 6/26/2017 at 5:24 AM, Piper said:

Resume & Cover letter tips:

Oh boy, have I seen some terrible resumes from South Africans who are extremely highly qualified! As there has been multiple posts on this topic I will not write an essay here, but in my opinion this is where things go a bit pear-shaped for Saffas. I benefited a lot from soliciting critical advice from a lady in Canada in exactly the same industry as myself. She has over 40 years of experience and she gave me some pretty good critique. My dad has an IT firm in Canada and I spent about a day with the one HR lady to iterate my resume further.

It is crucial that your resume lists your accomplishments and not your generic job duties. Furthermore; it needs to be concise, legible and neat. Every square cm on that page is an important piece of real estate. Optimize what you put on there! Do not submit a resume longer than 2 pages. Your "third" page will have a list of contactable references. Please note; since you are a foreign worker your references will most probably be contacted. (Mine and my husband's were contacted.) Your resume and cover letter needs to be aligned to each and every position that you apply for.

As an side to those paying someone to find employment on your behalf: I am not sure how someone applying for employment on your behalf can do this? Please share?

In the past people have asked for help on resumes.  Would you be prepared to scrub your resume and cover letter, remove any and all personal information, as well as identifiers for the Company you applied to and post it here?  i think that would help a few people.

• Like 5

Piper
23 minutes ago, Tracey22 said:

In the past people have asked for help on resumes.  Would you be prepared to scrub your resume and cover letter, remove any and all personal information, as well as identifiers for the Company you applied to and post it here?  i think that would help a few people.

Hi @Tracey22, yes, I will be open to do that. :) I am flying to my new life next weekend so things are a bit crazy at the moment. :wacko:

I posted an image of a database of job sites yesterday, but I see that it did not show up in my post. For some reason I am having some technical glitches as it shows up in my post while I am writing it, but when I hit "submit" it suddenly disappears.

3 hours ago, YolandaB said:

Hi @Piper, wow...you can "operate" hey ! :)

And yes hubby owes you big time !!!

Haha! I am expecting a bit of a "pay back" when we are on our 3 week holiday in Canada. :P I honestly can't wait to get on the plane as these last 2 weeks have been totally exhausting. Today we sold my husband's car. What a relief that all of that admin is done and dusted! Now back to the dreaded packing.

• Like 5

MaryJane

@Piper So if you haven't flown off to the US, we can set up something in August? That is if you are still up for it. ;)

• Like 2

Piper
4 hours ago, MaryJane said:

@Piper So if you haven't flown off to the US, we can set up something in August? That is if you are still up for it. ;)

Definitely keen! :D:D It would so lovely to meet you!

• Like 1

SunshineGirl

A huge thank you, @Piper!  This is great info.  Didn't expect that you would be able to write some notes about your job hunting experiences so soon, especially with all of the packing & finalising going on.  Thanks again :-)

• Like 2

Piper

General status

Less than a week left before the actual flight and landing! We are very excited to land in summer, especially as we will be traveling around Canada for the first 3 weeks. We knew we were moving so we saved up all of our leave which we will now finally spend in Canada. A long awaited holiday prior to our new lives!

We sold both our cars and our house within the last week. Unbelievable! Our house was sold to someone who lives in our complex and he came to sign the rental agreement one night while I was already in my pajamas. I didn't care much, but there were a few giggles, needless to say. :P

Last night someone bought and fetched all of our kitchen appliances. I think I missed my calling and should have gone into marketing. ;) The only down side is that I can no longer live in our house as there's basically nothing left. It is becoming just an echoing, empty shell. I even heated water in the built-in oven this morning just to make coffee in the last mug that I have. I really needed my caffeine fix. :D

My DH had a few computer screens which he sold and he says he is having withdrawal symptoms. :P We are moving into a furnished house tomorrow (with just our suitcases that will be on the plane) that my parents own down the road for the next week while I still drive (in a rental car) to our now "sold" house to finalize the purging and packing.

Everything that we didn't sell we gave to hospice or our beloved cleaning lady. As things happened pretty fast I felt bad for letting my cleaning lady go so quickly so we decided to pay her for the rest of the year and gave her a reference letter. I felt she really needed the money as she is a single mom trying to put her son through high school.

Container

Biddulphs will be completing the collection of our container contents on Wednesday 5th July. I have aligned my "goods to follow" list with their "inventory list" as well as the insurance quote on the container so that everything is in order. Let's just say I needed a whiskey and not a coffee after seeing the insurance quote! :(

They only finalize their quote once everything is packed although we agreed on an initial quote after they surveyed what we planned to take. I have some sentimental paintings that needed additional crating and packaging. They required valuations for the paintings. This specifically entailed a painting received as our wedding gift from my parents which I could never leave behind.

petPORT

Today is my fur baby's last day in Pretoria. It is a bit emotional for us both as he is our only child. Needless to say he is getting extra cuddles and extra helpings of his favorite food. He will be fetched by petPORT tomorrow. He will then be in kennels for about a week (poor thing!) prior to him flying over to Canada. petPORT built a custom crate that he will be transported in. As far as I know he is flying KLM via Amsterdam. We will fetch him upon arrival in Canada so that he does not have to be kenneled again on that side.

We changed his microchip address to our new address in Canada and also added international telephone numbers. We have secured a rental apartment which is pet-friendly. There is even a cat and dog park exclusive to our apartment building where we can take him to for walks.

Banking, SARS, financial immigration

We opened bank accounts from SA. My husband handled all of our finance and "financial immigration" documents as I have no clue what that all entails. I just sign documents day and night and focused on the rest of the admin. I must say we have been a pretty good team thus far and I don't know how I could have done all of this without him.

Flights, accommodation and cars

We moved our flights as we would like to travel in Canada for a few days. We will be exploring Toronto, Ottawa and Quebec City prior to settling in Montreal where I have secured employment. As our rental agreement starts on 1st July we will immediately start arranging to make our apartment a new home once we arrive in Montreal. It is a brand new building and we will be the first people ever to live in the apartment. We are super excited! I chose this apartment specifically as it it is 1.5km from my new job. I plan to walk to work in the summer. There is also a bus stop on our doorstep which is convenient as we can utilize public transport which connects to the metro. As we have bank accounts and a signed rental agreement we could already book driver's license tests from SA. My DH will do his upon arrival and I will first go for a lesson or two prior to doing the big test. My DH is planning on buying a car after he gets is license as this will then reduce the excessive insurance costs.

General emotions

We are very excited to start our new lives and to start a family in Canada, but at the same time its heartbreaking to say goodbye to so many people who have crossed our paths. My dad has a business in Canada so I know that I will definitely see my family often, but saying goodbye to some friends who I probably will never see again is tough. Apart from that, there are the people who were a part of my everyday life like running club members, colleagues at work and even neighbors. It feels unreal to leave such a good life behind, but at the same time we are 100% sure that this is the right decision for us. It has been an incredible journey and we are running out of admin to do at this point in time.

• Like 7

graciax452

Wow @Piper! Amazing and so organised, my lists keep growing every time I read your posts LOL :D  Good luck for the last week! Enjoy it all and keep us posted:ilikeit:

• Like 1

GerdaT

Thank you for sharing. It's exciting to read what lies ahead. :P

Just one question - how long does the container take to get to Montreal?

• Like 1

Piper
4 hours ago, GerdaT said:

Thank you for sharing. It's exciting to read what lies ahead. :P

Just one question - how long does the container take to get to Montreal?

Hi @GerdaT, this is a question that nobody will really be able to answer. We were told approximately 2-3 months.

There isn't a hard date on our contract as they seem to indemnify themselves. You have the option of expediting it, we did not opt for this as its ridiculously expensive. I am 100% sure that taking a container is the right route for us, yet I would urge people to investigate all options as well as insurances costs for containers prior to going that route.

I hope my container arrives before winter as I have a few very nice winter coats that need to see some snow again! :)

• Like 2

LotzofTravel

Wow super exciting! Enjoy the journey and remember to keep these writings, it will be so interesting to read through it all in a year's time! 

• Like 1

Piper
Posted (edited)

Just a quick update:

Moving & Shipping

We have successfully sold all of our appliances and furniture that we are not shipping to friends, family and even pawn shops. Myself and my DH will be at our house tomorrow to "supervise" the packing of items that we will indeed ship over. Please note that we are not allowed to pack items ourselves for security reasons. We have however organized everything into boxes so things can go relatively quickly. We are using Biddulphs for our shipment. They will make custom crates for specialized items on site tomorrow, this particularly includes paintings and a few special furniture items.The items will then be shipped firstly to the UK and then to Canada and should apparently arrive within a month or two. I put up our Canadian address as the final destination. Once everything is packed and they have updated my address they will provide us with a final quote. We are also using their inventory list to adjust our "goods to follow" list. There is also apparently a "funds to follow" list which my DH is doing. I have no clue what this entails as he does the numbers and I just do the administration side of things.

Current accommodation

Its a bit strange staying in my parent's house as there are so many childhood memories here. Its like a "blast from the past" complete with blankets I got as a gift when I went to watch "Holiday on Ice" as well as paintings I did when I just started university. At the same time it's a bit weird being in "limbo" and not having a "home" as our house is sold, this house does not belong to me and my Canadian apartment is just currently an empty shell. We are completely unsettled and out of our routine.

petPORT

Our cat is now in a kennel with petPORT. Their kennels operate under a different name, namely "Benoni Kennels". Both myself and my DH shamelessly cried as petPORT fetched him from our house, but we decided that it is best that he is in the kennels for the move. Visiting hours are from 9h00-15h00 and we have decided to drive through to visit the poor soul on Thursday as the shipment and everything will be done by then. There is a picnic area where we can interact with him and we have made an appointment to see him. Needless to say I will take some special snacks and an extra warm blanket for him.

Saying goodbye

I think this is the hardest part of the journey. I've already had to attend so many farewells and needless to say they all get emotional. Its hard saying goodbye to people who I know I will in all likelihood never see again. I know that I will see my family again, but the close friends and other people who played a role in my everyday life is a different story. Reading every farewell card is hard. I even got a "bon voyage" card which I thought was very cute since we will be living in Montreal.

Landing

We are flying on Saturday and will be landing on Sunday! We are doing our learner's driving tests upon arrival. (On Wednesday!) I have also set up a "to do" list of things that we need to do upon arrival there. This includes a "buy on arrival" list that I set up as we purged and packed our belongings. @LotzofTravel, thanks, I am trying to record the journey and have photo recordings of absolutely everything on my FB organized into albums.

Edited by Piper
  • Like 2

SunshineGirl

Wow, @Piper, how you managed to find the time to put together the above post in this last week before your move - respect!  Your section on "saying Goodbye" resonated especially with me as we 've started taking some heat from our closest family members about our intended move.  Although we are only towards the start of the process, as we take baby steps towards the final outcome, topics of discussion seem to shift towards "this country will get better".  Of course, it's no use getting involved in these kinds of debates, as I do not believe that any good will come from it.  It does however strike me how painful this must be for them too - to have this separation thrust upon them, without being able to alter the course of events.  It's painful to know that we are the source of this pain for them, together with our own sense of loss.  I am however so very grateful to the amazingly supportive folks on this forum and especially a WhatsApp group of wonderful people that we have met through this forum (most of whom I have never met in person, but whom I feel like I've known for years).  Kuddo's to you all & @Piper, I will be thinking of you & your DH on Saturday & sending you goodvibes from Cpt!

• Like 2

GerdaT

@SunshineGirl We have the same struggles with family. They oscillate between being supportive and giving harsh criticism. I was even dubbed "onnosel" by someone I love and respect dearly, the past weekend... so that is tough. :(

A funny one, that I will remember, hopefully endearingly - is that my 95yo grandfather took me to one side and very seriously told me that we CAN NOT live in Canada. "Julle gaan defnitief verkluim!" He is convinced we will die from hypothermia. He has started lobbying the rest of the family as well. He even made sure my 6yo daughter knows about Racheltjie de Beer, and that in Canada the same fate could befall her! Lucky she is so excited about seeing snow, the fact that he thinks it might kill her, doesn't faze her much.

@Piper Apologies for hijacking your post. I am so excited for you. I can understand that everything seems daunting. But, you seem to have it all under control. Just breathe... and enjoy the process. Hopefully we soon follow.

• Like 7

FaithFUL
1 hour ago, GerdaT said:

@SunshineGirl "Julle gaan defnitief verkluim!" He is convinced we will die from hypothermia. He has started lobbying the rest of the family as well. He even made sure my 6yo daughter knows about Racheltjie de Beer, and that in Canada the same fate could befall her!

Bless him xxx

• Like 2

Piper
Posted (edited)

Hi folks

@SunshineGirl and @GerdaT, I must agree that the "good byes" so far have been extremely tough. At the same time everyone who is really close to us and love us have told us that "we are making the right decision" especially as we are starting to plan a family very soon. Both our parents haven been extremely supportive from the get-go. My dad actually has an IT business that has offices in both Canada and the US so we will hopefully see my parents a lot. As for the negative comments; as mentioned above and in other posts; most of this is out of envy or just being misinformed. (Please excuse the bluntness here.) I was told by someone (not close to me, in fact basically a stranger) that "the sun never rises in Canada" and that "Montreal never reaches temperatures above -21C". I asked this person when last they were in Canada and the stunned silence answered everything I needed to prove my point and to end the ridiculous conversation. A few of my friends said "wow, we know people who have been immigrating for 3 years, you guys just said you are doing it and 6 months later you are basically on the plane and ready to rock." I guess a lot of people thought we weren't serious for whatever reason. Each to his own.

Packing our container

Yesterday Biddulphs was at our now "sold" house to pack all of the items that we will be shipping. I found their service to be very efficient and professional. They brought all of their own bubble wrap, boxes, packing material, permanent markers, tapes etc. They team worked pretty hard and I decided to buy them lunch and give them an hour off as I felt a bit guilty about a few re-packing requests. Apparently they have "never seen anyone request as much bubble wrap" as I kindly and consistently asked for. They were mesmerized by my ice-skates and these together with our knife sets were sealed with specialized packaging for blades. The guys were a bit suspicious about two computers that my DH built himself and he had to open both in order to show that no contraband items were hidden in the tower boxes. I was also informed that the two candles that were on the table at our wedding was contraband as it is both "flammable" and "can easily melt". This was a bit surprising. I kept the candles and took them to my mom's house for us to keep. I initially thought that our paintings will be crated on-site, yet it is thoroughly wrapped in front of us and the crates will be built today at their warehouse in Kempton Park, Johannesburg. All of the boxes were security sealed, named and itemized. I think this will all come to half a container and we are awaiting the final bill in conjunction with the insurance costs. As the packed boxes left our house we had to sign for every single box and item. 30 Boxes, 7 paintings and 5 furniture items in total. I took photos of the whole process and posted to an album on FB as our goods unceremoniously left our house. :)

"Our" property

The guy who bought our house made a cash offer (can you believe it?) and we will be signing the final paper with the lawyers today. This is great as we will not have to DHL documents back and forth from Canada or appoint a power of attorney. It will all be history soon after having stayed there for 7 years.

petPORT

We will be visiting our cat in the kennels today. Today in a week we will all be re-united again and living in our new apartment in Montreal. I will do a small write-up as to petPORT's facilities after having visited there. Please note: petPORT's kenneling facilities are called "Benoni kennels" if you are "porting" from Pretoria or Johannesburg. The all inclusive cost for sending one cat over was less than 10k. This includes a "door to door" service as he was fetched from our house in Pretoria, he was kenneled for a week and then he will be flying to Montreal via Amsterdam.

We are considering getting my cat a "french" friend once he has settled again as he used to love to play with the other cats in our complex. :wub:

Banking

We have successfully transferred money to our Canadian bank accounts. This is especially important as we need to pay our rental deposit upon arrival and no wire transfers or credit cards are accepted for this specific transaction. Furthermore we are planning to buy a car and will also immediately require a few general household items as listed on my "buy on arrival" list.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation to any company mentioned in this post. Information is given out of personal experience and in good faith.

Edited by Piper